Ludwig Fan Club

• Thread starter Jusstickinaround
  • Start date
Here are my new Classic Maples (Charcoal finish). 22x16, 13x9, 16x16 (with a Pork Pie Black Brass snare). Great drums.

Very nice! Did they give you medium or heavy Weathermasters?..... and how do you like them?

-Ryan

They are heavy. They are okay so far. I will probably play them until they wear out and go back to coated ambassadors. After looking at your kits, I think I need another floor tom!

IMAG0279.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

Left to Right: All Paistes
16" Signature Crystal Crash
14" Signature Crystal Hats
8" Signature Splash
18" Sound Creation New Dimension Short Crash
20" Sound Creation New Dimension Dark Ride
18" Signature Fast Crash
12" Signature Sound Edge Hi Hats (double damn yeah!)
18" Signature Crystal Crash

The Drums is a Ludwig Maple Classic 20x14, 10x8 15x13
Snare Drum is a Bell Bronze Artisan Signature w/ Dunnet throw 14x6.5
DW5000 Pedals
747 The Natural Nylon PM

Ludwig Modular Classic
L-700 Natural maple
Bd:22"x16"
Tt's:10"x9",12"x11" & 13"x12"
Ft's:14"x13" & 16"x16"

SD's:
-Ludwig Colisseum Natural maple 80's
-Ludwig 13"x3" Classic Natural maple 90's

Cymbals
Hi-hat
-Zildjian A-custom 14"
-Zildjian New Beat 15"
Ride
-Zildjian A-custom 21"
Crashit
-Zildjian K-Custom 16"
-Zildjian A-Custom 16"
-Zildjian A-Custom 17"
-Zildjian A-Custom 18"
FX
China
-Zildjian Oriental "Trash" 16"

http://rumpalit.net/forum/download/file.php?id=2224&mode=view
http://rumpalit.net/forum/download/file.php?id=1962&mode=view
http://rumpalit.net/forum/download/file.php?id=2126&mode=view
http://rumpalit.net/forum/download/file.php?id=2133&mode=view

Great kits!

I have a question for the 2009 buyers. Are those Anniversary badges special order?

And more pics please! ;-)

cheers
max

I have a question for the 2009 buyers. Are those Anniversary badges special order?

If you were ordering a kit or drums, you had the choice of anniversary or keystone badges. Some of the gear stocked by retailers also had/has the anniversary badge. I saw someone, somewhere write that Ludwig still had some annivesary badges left and would continue to put them on until they ran out. I don't know if it's true.

Attachments

• lb442 oblique angle with logo.jpg
    lb442 oblique angle with logo.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 5,292
IMAG0279.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

Left to Right: All Paistes
16" Signature Crystal Crash
14" Signature Crystal Hats
8" Signature Splash
18" Sound Creation New Dimension Short Crash
20" Sound Creation New Dimension Dark Ride
18" Signature Fast Crash
12" Signature Sound Edge Hi Hats (double damn yeah!)
18" Signature Crystal Crash

The Drums is a Ludwig Maple Classic 20x14, 10x8 15x13
Snare Drum is a Bell Bronze Artisan Signature w/ Dunnet throw 14x6.5
DW5000 Pedals
747 The Natural Nylon PM

That is one nice looking drum set, great finish. look extremely comfortable too.

Well, thanks to this thread and the many amazing drum sets, I've come to realize that ludwig is now one of my favorite drum companies.

Everything they make is just so damn classy :)

If you were ordering a kit or drums, you had the choice of anniversary or keystone badges. Some of the gear stocked by retailers also had/has the anniversary badge. I saw someone, somewhere write that Ludwig still had some annivesary badges left and would continue to put them on until they ran out. I don't know if it's true.

Thanks a lot!

cheers
Max

Hi All,
Just picked up this Ludwig "players" kit. The kick is a WFL 1959. the rack tom is a Ludwig 1960, and the floor tom is I believe a late 60's maple shell. The wrap on the floor tom doesn't match exactly, but it's not bad.
The sizes are 14x22, 9x13, 16x16 along with my 6 1/2x14 "Blacrolite" snare.
The cymbals are a 21" Zildjian Sweet ride, along with a 17" K Dark Med/Thin crash, and an 18" K Dark thin crash.
I'm using 14" Zildjian A Mastersound hats.
The heads are coated Ambassadors over clear Ambassadors on the toms, with a Remo Fiberskyn Med. on the snare (highly recommended).
The kick has a coated Emad batter.
Played with this kit on the weekend, and it sounds fabulous. Very much a vintage sound and vibe.
Cheers
Phil

Attachments

• 100_0110.jpg
    100_0110.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 5,491
  • 100_0120.jpg
    100_0120.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 5,303
  • 100_0116.jpg
    100_0116.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 5,063
  • 100_0115.jpg
    100_0115.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 5,108
  • 100_0114.jpg
    100_0114.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 5,137
  • 100_0113.jpg
    100_0113.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 5,155
  • 100_0112.jpg
    100_0112.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 5,243
  • 100_0111.jpg
    100_0111.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 5,334
Hello all was just woundering if you would be able to help me out with a few questions that i have.

i am looking at buying a Ludwig snare drum, and now i have narrowed my options down to a New 14x5 Black Beauty, and also a vintage 1960's Ludwig 402 14x6.5 classic lug.

my first question is how much should i expect to pay for the vintage 402 snare which is in good condition in english pounds please thanks?

also i was wondering if there are any differences in the sound between a vintage 402 and a new one because i was told that the hardware is now made in china and gives it a different sound ?

and finally what would you buy out of the two the new blackbeauty or the vintage 402 ? thanks a lot would really appreciate a response

Dan

Hello all was just woundering if you would be able to help me out with a few questions that i have.

i am looking at buying a Ludwig snare drum, and now i have narrowed my options down to a New 14x5 Black Beauty, and also a vintage 1960's Ludwig 402 14x6.5 classic lug.

my first question is how much should i expect to pay for the vintage 402 snare which is in good condition in english pounds please thanks?

also i was wondering if there are any differences in the sound between a vintage 402 and a new one because i was told that the hardware is now made in china and gives it a different sound ?

and finally what would you buy out of the two the new blackbeauty or the vintage 402 ? thanks a lot would really appreciate a response

Dan

Hey mate......good choices!

Can't help you with cost. But I'll chime in on the others.

As for the diff b/n new and old supras....many may argue, but personally I can't hear any real difference between the two...to my ear they all sound like supras. If one does indeed exist, then I don't believe there is any fundamental change in sound......at least nothing that would stop me buying a new one at the right price.

As for which to choose first. Personally I'd go with the supra. The 402 was always my 'go to' snare. It's versatility is huge and it fits right in to pretty much any playing situation. That said, I own both and I'll chop and change at will......but as a first off choice, I recommend the 402........all the while saving your pennies for the BB!!

LATE EDIT: You may also want to consider re-posting this in the Drum Gear section....more people will see it and it'll improve your chances of getting a response.

Last edited:
OK, here are some acrylics I put together myself. I bought the shells without bearing edges or any mounting holes of anykind from the vendor that sells to Ludwig, Pork Pie, Spaun etc. I used to be sponsored by Ludwig many years ago, so I had boxes of hardware (Lugs, tom holders,etc). I presently have my own cabinet shop with more industrial machinery than you can imagine. I cut the bearing edges with a special diamond router bit at a specified speed as to not cause a burning or melting of the acrylic in a shaper with an adapter for router bits and then polished the edges to a glass finish with special micron paper and a variable speed polisher and compound. I then drilled the holes for lugs, vents, leg mounts with bits specially devised for drilling acrylic and chamfered the backside of the holes with a rosebud countersink so there would be no cracking in the future. I purchased vulcanized 1/16" thick rubber for gaskets and applied the hardware using brass hardware (Screws and washers). The bass drums are 22x16, rack toms are 10x8, 12x9, floors are 14x14 and 16x16. The snare is a Ludwig 6 1/2x14 brass supersensative. All hardware is Ludwigs top of the line series except for the hi-hat stand which is a gibraltar ultra-adjust. Cymbals are mix of Zildjians, Sabian and Paiste. The hi hats are 13" Zildjian mastersounds.

Attachments

• Bob's Ludwig Acrylics, Resized.jpg
    Bob's Ludwig Acrylics, Resized.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 5,203
This one goes out to the experienced owners of a newer Classic Maple kit: how would you describe the sound of your drums, compared to other drumkits you have/had? Would you describe it as "versatile"? Is it primarily good for Rock?

And please: more pics!! :)

cheers
max

Copied from my personal thread...!

24" kick 4-piece ludwig centennial =D

Attachments

• DSC_0266_sm.JPG
    DSC_0266_sm.JPG
    429.2 KB · Views: 5,189
  • DSC_0269_sm.JPG
    DSC_0269_sm.JPG
    456.2 KB · Views: 5,602
Hi All,
Just picked up this Ludwig "players" kit. The kick is a WFL 1959. the rack tom is a Ludwig 1960, and the floor tom is I believe a late 60's maple shell. The wrap on the floor tom doesn't match exactly, but it's not bad.
The sizes are 14x22, 9x13, 16x16 along with my 6 1/2x14 "Blacrolite" snare.
The cymbals are a 21" Zildjian Sweet ride, along with a 17" K Dark Med/Thin crash, and an 18" K Dark thin crash.
I'm using 14" Zildjian A Mastersound hats.
The heads are coated Ambassadors over clear Ambassadors on the toms, with a Remo Fiberskyn Med. on the snare (highly recommended).
The kick has a coated Emad batter.
Played with this kit on the weekend, and it sounds fabulous. Very much a vintage sound and vibe.
Cheers
Phil

BEAUTIFUL!!!

by the way did u see liverpool get lit up by man city last week? judging by your profile pic i thought u were a liverpool faN. im a soccer (football) fanatic

Back