Show Me Your "Monster" Kits! (let's say... 7 piece and up)

So where is this beauty now! I am glad I did my Monster in my latter years, so that I still have it. Mine isn't going anywhere!!!! :)

I sold it many years ago in Vermont & bought my 1st car. The car sucked by the way & now I really miss that kit.

Brand new to the forum, but 34 year drummer. Very cool kits in this thread! Here's my silver sparkle DW kit in the early stages back in 2007. She's MUCH bigger now. I'll take some new pic's and download as soon as possible...

Attachments

• SilverDWs.jpeg
    SilverDWs.jpeg
    362.3 KB · Views: 4,715
Nice looking kit aircooled0801!…just curious does the woofer on front of the bass drum make that difference?… looks-wise it certainly does

Nice looking kit aircooled0801!…just curious does the woofer on front of the bass drum make that difference?… looks-wise it certainly does

Sorry for taking so long to respond. Yes, the woofer makes a HUGE difference. The "boom" is unbelievable! If you're a pure speed player though, I find the smaller 20 or 22 kicks without the woofer much quicker (obviously) with more punch and recovery, but if you're a power player like I am, the combo is perfect. Quite honestly, the best kick I've ever owned is on my mid 90's DW natural maple kit that's a 20 x 18 with a 20 x 10 woofer. I haven't added that pic anywhere on here, but if you look up my ID on YouTube, you'll see it in one of my video's. Anyway, that kick is really the best of both worlds. Boom boom boom, but still has good rebound due to it's smaller diameter.

Speaking of kicks, I'm adding a new baby to the kit... a 24 x 24 custom DW kick that was Tommy Lee's during the Generation Swine period (1997). It's silver sparkle to match, but it's lacquer finish vs. finish ply. I'll set it up basically as you would a traditional double kick setup (but the 28 with woofer will still be in the left rear), so having the one 24 x 18 (plus the 24 x 8 woofer) next to the 24 x 24 should look pretty cool. I will probably also refinish my blue 24 woofer in silver sparkle to match and place it in front of the 24 x 24 (at times anyway) which will put the kick setup over the top for power playing. :) If that works out the way I think it will, I actually have ANOTHER 28" woofer that I can place in front of the other 28" woofer (for looks only of course).

Since selling two of my three 28 kicks, I'll probably also convert my 18" floor tom to a kick to have as an aux. kick to the right of my primary kick. Always changing stuff around!!! This addiction never gets old, but it sure is freaking expensive!!! Like I'm telling any of you anything new though.

Should have just added this link to my last post. It's long and doesn't make sense with the music, but after making the video, I realized it was better without my boring commentary. Also, I'm going to be building a studio in the near future (I hope) to actually have a place to fit these toys. Oh, and the setup is already a little different, but that seems to be a constant with me. A.D.D.!!! The new 24 x 24 and the remainder of my DW rack should be complete by early next week once I'm able to move some things around to make room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06um-Fr-qCY

Love this thread. Soooo many great kits and ideas put together.

My baby kit.. (compared to some of the monsters in this thread)!

Current pic of setup after new DW rack... 24 x 24 kick will be where the blue woofer is located in this pic. I had the woofer there to confirm clearance with rack bar and pedal mock-up.

Attachments

• IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 2,938
  • IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 2,916
  • IMG_0078.JPG
    IMG_0078.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 2,955
  • IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 2,940
  • IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 3,019
...and with the 24 x 24. This kick sounds unbelievable!!! I have both 24's tuned to the exact same key, so it's cool to hear the 24 x 18 with the woofer resonate a little differently than the monster 24 x 24. I muffled the deeper of the two with a pillow and large blanket to get the "punch" I was looking for. Otherwise, I believe I could tune them to sound almost identical with a little trial and error.

Attachments

• IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    292.4 KB · Views: 2,908
...and with the 24 x 24. This kick sounds unbelievable!!! I have both 24's tuned to the exact same key, so it's cool to hear the 24 x 18 with the woofer resonate a little differently than the monster 24 x 24. I muffled the deeper of the two with a pillow and large blanket to get the "punch" I was looking for. Otherwise, I believe I could tune them to sound almost identical with a little trial and error.

...That is crazy....looks awesome.

Do you gig with the whole kit?

...That is crazy....looks awesome.

Do you gig with the whole kit?

Thanks for the compliment!

No, I don't typically travel with this kit. Learned the hard way a long time ago with a monster Tama Artstar kit I had years ago. :) I have a small (but sounds monster) mid 90's natural maple finish DW kit that consists of:
(1) 18 x 20 kick
(1) 10 x 20 woofer
(1) 8 x 10 tom
(1) 9 x 12 tom
(1) 11 x 14 tom
(1) 4 x 12 maple piccolo
(1) 6 x 14 red sparkle Edge snare
(2) Zildjian K Crashes
(1) Zildjian K China
(1) Zildjian Earth Ride
(1) Zildjian A Splash
DW 9000 stands
DW 5000 double pedal/hi-hat combo

I seriously need to change my ID to A.D.H.D... The 24's are now setup as primaries (yes, both). The smaller is an 18" that I'll be running straight off the drum rack with a remote pedal. Still to the far left and rear is my 28" with woofer. 22" DW gong drum is en route as are two new china's and curved DW rack goodies!

Attachments

• DSC02444.JPG
    DSC02444.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 2,975
Last edited:
Here's my kit: 7-piece Yamaha Recording Custom

IMAG0133.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

Not sure I'd call mine a monster kit, but as a teen I did subscribe to the "he who dies with the most drums wins" theory, thus the 9 piece kit with concert toms.....12 if you count the Remo roto's.

Attachments

• Drums%201.jpg
    Drums%201.jpg
    744.3 KB · Views: 2,466
  • Drums%203.jpg
    Drums%203.jpg
    770.9 KB · Views: 2,540
  • Drums%204.jpg
    Drums%204.jpg
    766.3 KB · Views: 2,484
Back