New Yamaha Stage Custom in Honey Amber

?uesto

Silver Member
Still need to change the heads. Took it straight from work to a gig. Sounded awesome though! I'm still waiting on the 16" floor tom. I'll post a picture with all the sizes set up when I get it.

Pictured is:

Drums:
  • 8"x10" Rack Tom
  • 14"x14" Floor Tom
  • 17"x20" Bass Drum
  • 5"x14" 1976 Ludwig Acrolite

Cymbals
  • 15" Zildjian K Istanbul Hi-Hat Top over 15" Vintage A Hi-Hat Bottom
  • 18" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash
  • 21" Zildjian K Custom Special Dry Ride
  • 20" Zildjian A Custom Ride

5pl9jb.jpg

wcle1u.jpg

1zlfaec.jpg

23wkuba.jpg

Last edited:
sweet looking setup, love the finish!
(i wonder why Yamaha has a 20x17 deep bass instead of 20x16 or 20x14...17 seems an 'odd' number)

Decided to go crazy after I finished my paper. Even though I can't play drums in my apartment, setting them up in new ways is always fun too. So I pulled out all the stops tonight: (I decided to go for the Jojo set-up with the small tom after the floor tom after everything else was put where it was)

Drums
  • 5"x14" '76 Acrolite
  • 5.5"x14" Custom Maple Snare (Old Mapex Shell)
  • 17"x20" Bass Drum
  • 9"x12" Rack Tom
  • 14"x14" Floor Tom
  • 8"x10" Rack Tom

Cymbals
  • Zildjian 14" K Custom Special Dry Top over New Beat Bottom
  • Zildjian 18" A Custom Projection Crash
  • Zildjian 10" K Splash
  • Zildjian 21" K Custom Special Dry Ride
  • Zildjian 13" Remix Jingle Hi Hat Top over New Beat Bottom
  • Zildjian 20" A Custom Ride
  • Zildjian 18" Vintage Avedis Crash (Modified)

Percussion
  • LP Salsa Cowbell
  • Tycoon Lip Block with "KISS ME" Written
  • LP Salsa Cowbell with "I GOT A FEVER" Written

HiRes
29da9ow.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!

I wish that finish would have been available when I got mine. I like it much better than the Natural Wood. Naturally, it came out right after I got them - ha ha.

I also would have preferred a shallower depth (14") on my 20" bass. 17" is OK, but it seems an odd way to go.
Yamaha is strange that way. My 18" bass drums are 15" deep.

Anyways - an all around nice looking setup. Have you tried putting the 10" tom in the 'normal' position? Or does that just not sit right with you.

Nice!

I wish that finish would have been available when I got mine. I like it much better than the Natural Wood. Naturally, it came out right after I got them - ha ha.

I also would have preferred a shallower depth (14") on my 20" bass. 17" is OK, but it seems an odd way to go.
Yamaha is strange that way. My 18" bass drums are 15" deep.

Anyways - an all around nice looking setup. Have you tried putting the 10" tom in the 'normal' position? Or does that just not sit right with you.

Thanks! That's usually how things happen. But the way of the world will come back around in your favor eventually. It always does. =]

The first three pictures at the top of the thread feature the 10" in the 'normal' position. I don't think I'd ever do this for a gig. Maybe I'd mess around with that kind of set-up in a rehearsal room or something, but I like a standard one-up, one-down or one-up, two-down set up. I can't wait for the 16".

Oops - my mistake. I thought you got the 5 piece kit with 10" and 12" mounted toms, and that it was the 12" in the first 3 pics, with a funny lens on your camera or something - ha ha.

I've only ever seen Stage Customs being sold new as 5 piece around here. Except for the 4 piece Bop kit with 18" kick of course.

Did you buy it piece by piece, or set up as a kit that way?

Oops - my mistake. I thought you got the 5 piece kit with 10" and 12" mounted toms, and that it was the 12" in the first 3 pics, with a funny lens on your camera or something - ha ha.

I've only ever seen Stage Customs being sold new as 5 piece around here. Except for the 4 piece Bop kit with 18" kick of course.

Did you buy it piece by piece, or set up as a kit that way?

I bought the 5 piece with 10RT, 12RT, 14RT, 20BD, and the snare drum (traded the snare drum back for store credit) and then I ordered a 16" Floor Tom which is on the way. Should be here next week. I do different set-ups for the different bands or venues I play in, so I need options..

Oops again.

Somehow I missed the 10" tom in the 5th pic. Just used to seeing the 'traditional' way of setting up a kit with 2 mounted toms, I guess.

Getting the 16" floor tom should have you covered on all bases, and give you lots of setup options.

Oops again.

Somehow I missed the 10" tom in the 5th pic. Just used to seeing the 'traditional' way of setting up a kit with 2 mounted toms, I guess.

Getting the 16" floor tom should have you covered on all bases, and give you lots of setup options.

Definitely! And because these drums are so inexpensive, I can eventually get an 8" tom, 13" tom, or a 24" kick, if I so choose if I start playing music that calls for it...

Last edited:
Nice!

Your using the same config as me, with the Acrolite. I bought my stage custom birch last Jan with the same sizes in the natural finish.

Great sounding drums and really affordable.

I love how the new finish looks. Very classy.

That kit looks great man! Lovin' the setup too. Congrats!

Beautiful kit. Me - I love honey amber. And Yamaha birch drums.​

Back