"New" drum day - 6pc Yamaha Stage Custom

Bastille

Picked this entire set up for $145 today. Hell of a deal. There are definitely some scratches as the set was toured quite a bit but everything is in perfect working condition. I can't believe I managed to snag these but I am absolutely elated. I want to say this series of Stage Customs is 15-20 years old but they are solid.

Can anyone confirm the type of wood that these used? I can't find a definite answer anywhere.

25swund.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24250

this thread on another forum might be old but some guy was selling an old 90's stage custom made of birch/falkata???

if you keep reading down some other guy says he owns a "marina green" kit and its made of birch/mahogany/falkata. i think thats what it might be!

Exactly what it is. I own this pedigree of Stage Custom. They debuted in the mid-90s, and this variety without the YESS mounts lasted until about 2001. So they are at least 12 years old and possibly close to 20. Mine are 14 years old (bought in 1999) and I still gig with them.

Exactly what it is. I own this pedigree of Stage Custom. They debuted in the mid-90s, and this variety without the YESS mounts lasted until about 2001. So they are at least 12 years old and possibly close to 20. Mine are 14 years old (bought in 1999) and I still gig with them.

cool! now he will be happy to know what he has

Thanks for the answers! Falkata? I am glad to hear that there is some birch/mahogany in there but I've never heard of falkata.

Al, I'm gonna wager a guess that you like the drums if you're still gigging with them. Have you had any major issues with them so far?

I know the Stage Customs we sell at work, as different a breed as they might be, are pretty sweet so I figured the older models had to be mid-range at worst. The guy I bought them said he had been gigging with them for over a decade which was more of a selling point than a turn-off... we all know how hard it is to break some of these Yamaha kits.

Thanks for the answers! Falkata? I am glad to hear that there is some birch/mahogany in there but I've never heard of falkata.

no problemo! never heard of that either...

now your gonna need to set them up and post a picture!

have fun playing them bud!

-vince

Al, I'm gonna wager a guess that you like the drums if you're still gigging with them. Have you had any major issues with them so far?

None. As drums they are as solid as anything you could hope to ever buy. All the mounts, hardware, etc. are exactly the same as the day I bought them. A real good-quality set.

Don't get all hung up on the wood mix, they tune well and give you a good, oomphy, punchy sound. I like to use coated or clear G2s over clear G1s on the toms, an EQ3 front and back on the kick.

None. As drums they are as solid as anything you could hope to ever buy. All the mounts, hardware, etc. are exactly the same as the day I bought them. A real good-quality set.

Don't get all hung up on the wood mix, they tune well and give you a good, oomphy, punchy sound. I like to use coated or clear G2s over clear G1s on the toms, an EQ3 front and back on the kick.

Excellent. I appreciate the response. I kind of figured as much... the guy said he toured with them for a decade but, aside from a few scratches and dents, they still look pretty awesome and the hardware feels solid. I have always taken wood's effect on tone with a grain of salt... much like electric guitars, the wood type seems to be a relatively minor part when compared to the heads, tuning, mounting, thickness, hardware, etc. As long as it isn't weak wood (which, thanks to your help, I'm thinking it's quite the opposite) I am not too worried about it.

Thanks again for all your input so far. I was thinking G1s for the resonant but I am fortunate enough to work in a drum shop so I will have the opportunity to try many different combinations without much of a dent in my wallet. I am glad to hear that yours have held up well for you so far, and your answers have been very helpful.

Sorry for rambling, I am just so excited to have these! It's exactly what I wanted... size configuration, woods, brand, everything!

Back