Let's see your home studios!

sXeDanimalsXe

So I just bought my first house and I have a little music room/studio. I plan on adding a better I/O and setting all my mics up! Here is some pictures of what I have got so far. I want to see what other people have done. Also soon there will be wall hangers for all my guitars.
Trick drums, acoustic, Tama Starclassic performer turned in to an E kit w/ TD12, iMac w/ mbox, protools, ableton live, logic. Yamaha HS80m studio monitors, not pictured rolland VS2000CD, several mics.

527107_274658855978889_1383637756_n.jpg

318310_274658655978909_1438418007_n.jpg

399709_274659032645538_783868034_n.jpg

Very nice mate- I take it you don't have soundproofing as yet (ie this is just a spare room in the house)?

The Room That Should Not Be

Sorry about the stupid title but I put it to a vote and that's what we came up with : )
Basic specs are:
2.5m x 3m internal space (tiny!), R3 insulation in walls and suspended ceiling, solid core door with closed cell foam around edges (2 walls built into existing corner of garage).
Space is too small for data projector or flat screen on the back wall behind the kit so had to get creative with the monitor screen which swivels on mounted clamp connected to shelving.
Guitar is a knock-off Gibson flying V with Boss Distortion pedal.
DVD player, JamHub, Behringer mixer and Alto amp are currently the only electronics but will be adding my old Xbox down the track (mainly to play Guitar Hero connected to e-kit).
Spilt system air-con an absolute must for a jam room (tried one of those portable air-cons- completely useless)!
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51243&stc=1&d=1347443072

Attachments

• 2012-09-12 06.13.16.jpg
    2012-09-12 06.13.16.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 1,414
  • 2012-09-12 06.15.06.jpg
    2012-09-12 06.15.06.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 1,159
  • 2012-09-12 06.15.46.jpg
    2012-09-12 06.15.46.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 1,148
  • 2012-09-12 06.24.58.jpg
    2012-09-12 06.24.58.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 1,137
Pretty basic - my high tech recording device is circled in the inset (ahem). All I'm doing is recording to the H2 Zoom and mixing and adding effects in Audacity.

Eventually I plan to get mixers and mics etc but I don't know the first logical step. I last did home recording in the late 80s but things are different now.

Attachments

• home-studio-(sic).jpg
    home-studio-(sic).jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 1,137
Cool, yeah no sound proofing yet. I don't think the wife would be stoked on me doing a room in a room to truly soundproof the room. I will probably put up some acoustic treatments, maybe something to cover the windows.
Ah well, that's what the e-kit is for (you really need to upgrade the hi-hat to a VH-11 though) ; )

Well, here is Return of Son of Scratchpad Studio- with the mostly-Hart E-kit, mongrel A-kit, and a bunch of the other gear all set up for a session that is coming in in a few days.

All I can say, is that ya gotta learn to love wires to play this game... (;-)

Attachments

• DSCN4159_s.JPG
    DSCN4159_s.JPG
    397.5 KB · Views: 1,054
  • DSCN4158_s.JPG
    DSCN4158_s.JPG
    331.2 KB · Views: 1,069
  • DSCN4156_s.JPG
    DSCN4156_s.JPG
    360.8 KB · Views: 1,072
  • DSCN4155_s.JPG
    DSCN4155_s.JPG
    330.1 KB · Views: 1,059
  • DSCN4154_s.JPG
    DSCN4154_s.JPG
    338.5 KB · Views: 1,072
  • DSCN4153_s.JPG
    DSCN4153_s.JPG
    321.1 KB · Views: 2,052
Eventually I plan to get mixers and mics etc but I don't know the first logical step. I last did home recording in the late 80s but things are different now.[/QUOTE]

Well most people do it via a computer. If you want to record drums you need to find something that will record around 8 XLR inputs at once. Presounus has a few as does Maduio. It seems presonus you get more bang for your buck. Then you need to decide on the software you want to use. Most devices come with some kind of software, if even it's only a "lite" version. The computer needs to have a lot of RAM, and shouldn't have a lot of programs on it. Just what is needed for recording. I am a Mac guy, I think apple computers work the best for this type of stuff. But you can get a good price on PC with a fast processor and lots of RAM. Sure makes a good SM57/Beta52 pack that isn't too expensive. 1 or 2 condensers for room mics and you'll be rolling.

They are so expensive!! How do you like the triggers you have? I am thinking about going that route. I have the RT triggers, but since they are on the outside and around the edge of the drum it's not very accurate. I saw your youtube videos, they seem pretty on point.
Yeah they are but they're worth it!
I use Quartz harness triggers for the toms, a PD-120 for the snare, a KD-85 for the bass drum and a Jman trigger on the converted Ludwig snare (used as 14" tom).
I'm pretty happy with the accuracy of the harness triggers (and they're relatively easy to install once you get the hang of putting in the first one).
I did use a Ddrum redshot for a while on the bass but I had the same triggering problems you're probably having : (

Well, here is Return of Son of Scratchpad Studio- with the mostly-Hart E-kit, mongrel A-kit, and a bunch of the other gear all set up for a session that is coming in in a few days.

I would kill to have this much space in my jam room (and yes you need some serious cable management)! : )

Wow, your setup is almost exactly like mine!

;)

This picture is a few years old but the setup is fundamentally the same. I have upgraded to JBL EON 15 powered speakers and a Mackie mixer. The ceiling-mounted mike boom stays out of the way, yet allows me to do pretty good band recordings.

View attachment 51265
Well this gets my vote for coolest studio so far. BTW- this is a great way to get an insight into people's influences by how they kit out their rooms...

My humble six piecer in its studio setting.

Attachments

• 0707021159.jpg
    0707021159.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 968

I don't mean to derail the thread, but I just noticed a Chapman Stick in the second picture, Skod. Do you or someone in your band play? I ask because I've been around that instrument quite a bit, as my brother plays one.

That's a really nice looking setup you have there.

Yes, I play it- it's my favorite instrument for songwriting. Can't do it on keyboards- all those damned black keys get in the way. (;-) It is a lot of fun, and is a real eyeopener. Highly recommended: it really is a percussion instrument. I think that every drummer ought to pick one up at some point in their careers...

Back