What got you started playing drums?

Re: the "how" thread

Stu_Strib said:
Not only do I tap my teeth, I play snare rudiments with them. Probably not very good for them.

I have a pretty mean 5 stroke single by the way.

I do the exact same thing! Snare rudiments.. funny, isn't it?

I'm always tapping my feet to whatever's playing.. playing 'hand' parts with my feet has improve my double bass a lot!

MUSIC

I started drums by accident.. wanted to play sax at school but got roped into drums. needless to say i was hooked on drums, and early on my inspriation came from blink and limp bizkit, but i was never really into that much......

DRUMMER

drummers who have really inspired me these days would be the guy from muse (as well as a lot of good, solid drummers in bands i like) ... but most of all JON THEODORE from the mars volta.. his music is on another level for me - its exactly want i want to be, im sure everyone has there own band/drummer that does it for them..

PERSON

to be honest, my first teacher was just one of those schol music multi-purpose teachers and wasnt that influencial.. ive been 'teaching' myself for a year or so, so yeah ME!

STYLE

basically anything from most pop/mainstream rock bands i can handle, but im trying to get into prog rock ie mars volta and want to try bluesy n latin stuff.. its just a matter of time really!

INSPIRATIONS

as said, JON THEODORE / MARS VOLTA just love their style.. at the moment though, im really liking the whole technical side of drumming and would love/ aiming to become a lot more involved in it.. like really become a student and go for it all

main inspiration though is just screwing around with mates and playing covers / trying to impress chicks!

cheers!

Stu_Strib said:
Not only do I tap my teeth, I play snare rudiments with them. Probably not very good for them.

I have a pretty mean 5 stroke single by the way.

I do that too it seems like a bad habit, when sombodys looking at you lol they see you tapping your to teeth i wonder what they think.

Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

I guess my brother just told my dad he wanted to play guitar, and I said that I wanted to play drums, I started that week!

Well...classical music is great piano is great....but the feeling playing around the drumset is marvellus....that's why i choose to play it!!

Re: The "how" thread

Music- The music that got me into drums i would have to say was Rock 'n' Roll and the band was the ever classic AC-DC

Drummer- JOHN BONHAM!!

Person- One of my friends from school who had been playing drums for 4 years ( We're 14) and know is the guitarist in our band :S

Style- The style i like to play is deffinitly Rock 'n' Roll and maybe some blues.

Inspirations-I would have to go with John Bonham i dont think i would as passionate about drums if it wasnt for him.

Music- ( Rush and most 80's hair bands. In the late 80's it was Zeppelin, Floyd, The Doors,Kansas, Eagles-I wasn't exposed to a lot of this music until I was about 14 or 15. In the early 90's it was still Floyd-Division Bell, but mostly Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, STP...etc. Mid 90's it was Tool, Rage, DMB-who I started admiring again)

Drummer- (I started playing pots and pans, tupperware, boxes-you name it- along with my dad's band at a young age. But mainly my buddy Monty. He was pulling off Peart at age 10..flawlessly. He now does studio work in Nashville.)

Person(s)- ( Monty Bradford and Brad Hutchins, two schoolmates and still two of the best drummers I know. I was always jealous because they were superior to me. Made me practice that much harder...and they still kick my ass!! )

Style- ( Rock, Funk,Blues)

Inspirations- ( I guess one thing that inspired me at a young age was I wanted to fit in with my father and his band. I wanted to know what it felt like up on that stage. My father was a Luthier and he built his own guitars and repaired vintage and other instruments. Music was a huge part of his life and I truly believe it kept him alive for several years after he got sick. God rest his soul.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Music- Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, eventually Miles Davis, who led me to a whole new world of music, too much I can't list all of them.
Drummer- 1. My first drum teachers, Ross Johnson and Garrett Heinz
Person- My Parents!
Style- Jazz is what keeps me workin in town! And it is my favorite, but I also love Praise and Worship Music and I want to play more of the jazz/rock for gigs instead of just in my basement.
Inspirations- Steve Smith, what a mastefull drummer, his DVD totally changed my drumming life. THANK YOU! Also all of the old records with Tony Williams, Blakey, Jo Jones, Elvin Jones, etc..... Of course my current instructor on drum set, Chuck Case. Another inspiration is getting gigs in town, that keeps me going pretty hard!

YAHAHA said:
I've never been able to sit still; I'm ALWAYS absent-mindedly tapping my feet, hands, fingers, teeth... to some ryhthm or song either on the radio or in my head.

AND there is always some kind of music playing in my head (right now it is Yes' "Hold On"). Some people might say that I'm possessed... yup: possessed with the spirit of music!
I am exactly the same.. constantly tapping something... lol. and music comes natural.

I was in a two piece band. My bandmate got an electric guitar. We needed a drummer, and all the ones we knew were in bands. There was an unused 12+ pc kit sitting in a garage down the street. Yes, yes. Once I started, I couldn't stop. I think it's metaphysically impossible. lol

i always dreamt about playing the drums...
my mom told me that i used to hit pans and cooking pots with spoons when i was like 3 years old...
i started only 2 years ago and i cant stop playing since then...
its my therapy and it helps me to escape from the boredome of my daily routine...

from the tender age of 5 i started listening to some beatles tapes my dad had around. then i discovered rock through the "cherry pie" video of the band warrant. and though that steven sweet made it look fun as heck.

that's what made me really decide i wanted to play the drums.

though the way i play NOW is largely influenced by David Grohl.

I started when i was 6, after 4 years i stopped. About 1 year ago, i bought the blink-182 self titled album, and after hearing Travis Barker plaing Feeling This, i started again.

Music- My favourite kind of music is punk, because that got me into drumming.
Bands: NOFX, Rancid, Ramones, blink-182, Pennywise, Descendents,
Bad Religion, The Cure, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones

Drummer- Travis Barker

Person- My parents
Style- Punk and Led Zeppelin stuff.

I got a toy drum kit from my parents on my 4th or 5th xmas i think thats when drums got indented in my head...i was then fascinating until i was 7 by marching bands and how amazing the snare drums sounded. i then got my first snare drum when i was 7 years old, then a better one when i was 11, then a drumkit at 13, then my sonor force 2005 recently....i haven't played consistently through all these years however the past three years i have been completely dedicated...DRUMS RULE!!!!

I remember when i was 6-7yrs old and i whent to see this "music on ice" show and at the end a drummer came out on this big box and was driven all around the arena. He did the most catching beats i had heard at that age, and bugged my parents for years about druming!

I finaly got lessons and a set when i was 10yrs old, and have been drumming ever since.

BonzoJr48 said:
We were all influenced by greats of the 60's 70's & 80's, but before you saw or heard them play, what attracted you to the drums?

My dad used to play drums when I was like 6, I used to sit in front of the bass drums and watch it vibrate and listen to how awesome that sound was. I loved that. After I was old enough to start playing I was then influenced by John Bonham, Neil Peart, e.t.c.

i started playing a year ago but wut really started it was my cousin will glaser, username=animalwills [i think] and when i visit him on easter hols and stuff, his playing sounded really good and i wanted to be a part of sounding good and the other thing that started me was that i wanted to play a instrument, i thought about a saxafone but i'd had to learn the clarinet first which i didn't want to do, then i started playing the guitar and i went on with that till a couple of weeks after the first 5 lessons which i had a my primary school 2yearz ago. the teacher was boring and we stayed on the same thing to learn for at least 4 weeks and it really was boring.
and then i went onto the drums where will my cousin came in. he is so cool at it cos hes been playing for 5 years now so hes got really good.
i'm going in for my first exam in june/july somewhere around those months and i'm doing grade 2 out of the guildhall music book so hopefully i'll pass because i've been practicing it alot!
i'm aged 12 now and i wanted to play the guitar when i was 10 and now drumming has taken over me and at my high school (earls high school in halesowen birmingham that used to be the grammar school) i can't stop talking bout it and i MIGHT be joining the earls orchestra and i'm the dudley junior wind and brass band's percussionist
g2g
pinkyxxxx

For me it was listening to Jimmy Bower on the first Down album and then Crowbar - Odd Fellows Rest. He plays some pretty simple stuff but with such groove and feeling.

I had played guitar for 12 or 13 years when I started on drums. This sounds really cheesey but I knew I could feel how to play the drums before I did - I knew the feeling of laying down a beat before I even could. 10 years of writing beats with my trusty old Boss DR-5 helped as well.

I knew I would get a better connection with the music through playing the beats rather than the the guitar parts and I do now.

Simply Steve Gadd ;)

Even to this day i can't belive how much drive he gives me to get better.

I would sit under the table and 'ping' all the metal legs on the table and chairs as soon as I was able to crawl.

Like other children I pulled pots and pans out from cupboards etc. Any sort of sound would fascinate me for hours and annoy adults outside of my family quite quickly.

Thankfully I come from a family that has for several generations encouraged an interest in music.

I'm not sure. I knew I wanted to play music early on and couldn't wait to get into 4th grade which is when we were allowed to join orchestra. They didn't offer any percussion in 4th grade orchestra however so I played violin for a year and when we were allowed to join band in 5th I wanted to play drums but felt compelled to play trumpet since my older brothers had... kind of a tradition thing I suppose, but the urge to drum was always there. I've played guitar and bass off and on for several years and just recently (within the past 2 years) purchased a used drum set. It's cheap but it works, and I'm as happy as a clam. Now I just need to figure out more practice time.

My story is a bit weird... My parents (especially my mother) always noticed I had a sense of rhythm... When I was 4 years old, I had this crush on a girl when I was on vacation in france, and I grabbed a bucket and two wooden spoons and gave her a show.
It never worked out.
Anyway, when I was 10 years old, my brother (who played the trumpet) brought to my parents attention that the orchestra in which he played was searching for drummers. And I decided I'd help them out. Pretty weird, huh? you'd expect someone to be totally wild about playing drums, but I just wanted to help out. Fortunately I got along very well with both the teacher and the practise pad and snare drum that I used for more than a year, until I got my first kit (a Thunder Fusion kit).

Back