Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin

Is possible you say the exactly things you make your custom chimes(type of cymbals,sizes)
And you opinion about the woods you already use in your carrer(maple,birch...) and who is your preference?
Thanks
Humberto Lelis from brazil

Hi Gavin! Thank you for the show in Bratislava and signing my Rhytmic Designs book.

It was a real pleasure to see you play, even your soundcheck was good to see! Never thought of Tom Holders could make such an impact on the sound.

The concert was great, to be honest I wasn't expecting this kind of music to sound so groovy and very dancable! I enjoyed every minute of it.

You probably don't remember me, I was there from the moment you arrived and wanting the book signed but I asked your Soundman (Who did really good job) if he could ask you to sign my book and he told me you will do signing and taking photos after the show. And after the show I was really shaking, I couldn't say the word to you, haha, was so nervous and shy. I just gave you the book and then told you that I did ask you few questions here on Drummerworld. And you said "Ah, OK" and shaked my hand. Found it quite funny later...

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi Gavin

Is possible you tell me which kind of equipment you have in your personal studio at your home??
I mean, which kind of different equipments (diferent cymbals,snares,microphones,everything) and a list of your equipment at this year??
Thank you very much
Humberto Lelis

Hi Gavin,

great to see such a highly talented (and obviously busy) musician finds some time to answer our questions.

I was wondering what tuning approach you use to make you floor toms sound the way they do: bottoms tuned higher than tops or the other way round? Which musical interval between the heads?

Greetings from Germany,

Martin

Hi Gavin
I was listening a old(but nice) song of porcupine tree called ''Don't hate me'' and i realized that you use a splash right?? Is possible you say me which kind of splash you use in that song??
And i saw you using in another one in the song ''Nights In tunisia'' And another one is ''Plasson'' of one of the dvd of yours. So is possible you say me this type of splash in this exatcly cases?
Thank you once again
Humberto lelis

Hi JeffV71

What is your current studio bass drum micing technique these days? You've stated that you're using the Kelly Shu system inside the drum. Does this leave any room for the SM91, or any other mic? Is your studio application utilizing multiple mics or a single mic?

At the moment I have two Kelly Shu mounts in the bass drum. One supports the Shure SM91A (suspended in the middle of the drum just above the pillow) and the other the AKG D12 which is in the top 1/3 of the drum. I blend the two sounds to get the desired amount of attack and low end thump.

Hi Animal7

I have a question about tuning your Bass Drum. I like to tune mine sort of tight for response (stuffed with a heavy pillow as well, I am old school too). Do you feel it gets a better sound tight or do you prefer it to be as some say "lowest pitch possible"?

I would say that it's medium/tight. I certainly don't go down to the lowest possible pitch.

Hi Christian Beck

I was very lucky to see you in Reichenbach yestersday! Very familiar and great concert. It was the first concert I've seen. Where you surprised by the size of the venue and was it complicated to set up?

We had a great time in Reichenbach - the venue was pretty tight with that amount of people in there but we enjoyed the hospitality.

Hi Butch Axsmith

You are playing great '''''''' i;m not 13teen I played with your Dad in 1963 in London he
also was great ......... Butch Axsmith

I'd love to hear more. Where were you playing with him - Hammersmith Palais? I've sent you a private message.

Hi humberto

Is possible you say the exactly things you make your custom chimes(type of cymbals,sizes) And you opinion about the woods you already use in your carrer(maple,birch...) and who is your preference? Is possible you tell me which kind of equipment you have in your personal studio at your home?? I mean, which kind of different equipments (diferent cymbals,snares,microphones,everything) and a list of your equipment at this year??

All my current equipment is listed here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Harrison

I was listening a old(but nice) song of porcupine tree called ''Don't hate me'' and i realized that you use a splash right?? Is possible you say me which kind of splash you use in that song??

That wasn't me playing the drums on the original recording of that song. It was Porcupine Tree's previous drummer Chris Maitland.

And i saw you using in another one in the song ''Nights In tunisia'' And another one is ''Plasson'' of one of the dvd of yours. So is possible you say me this type of splash in this exatcly cases?

I don't remember the exact splashes used on those songs. They were recorded a long time ago. They're probably 6" or 8" A Zildjians.

Hi Triplet Emitter

I was wondering what tuning approach you use to make you floor toms sound the way they do: bottoms tuned higher than tops or the other way round? Which musical interval between the heads?

The bottom heads are a little bit higher than the tops. I can't distinguish much interval between them so they must be quite close. I make a one inch zero ring and drop it inside each floor tom to control the amount of sustain. It just rests on the top of the bottom head (if that makes sense).

cheers
Gavin

Hello Gavin,

I just want to tell you how wonderful I find it that you take the time with folks here...replying to their queries and all. It reminds me of when I went to a Helmet concert years and years ago and as I was leaving a great show the drummer was there at the door thanking each and everyone for coming out. It left a huge impression on me, and so I want to pass that on to you. Your humility and humanity are what I have consistently strived for in my life and it is a treat to see someone at a high level doing just that..showing appreciation for the folks that support you and your endeavours. Cheers mate! You are a rare bird if I may say so.

Hi gavin

I see one video of yours playing the song ''scar'' about 1 month ago and i have one question
which kind of hihat is that one you use in this video ?? i mean i know is a k constantinople but which kind of size???
Thanks
Humberto

Brace yourself -- not a gear or transcription question. The question about the splash in "Don't Hate Me", where you answered that it was Chris Maitland on the track and not you, got me pondering about your take on stepping in and playing some of the older songs. I've seen the "Arriving Somewhere" video, where your playing on "Hatesong", one of my favorite older songs in the PT catalog, is brilliant. And obviously, you're stepping into huge shoes (Bill Bruford's, to be precise), over in King Crimson.

What's your thinking when coming into drum positions with so much history? How closely do you think you have to hew to the recorded version, or have the continuing bandmembers/leaders been pretty permissive in letting you retool the parts? (Again, the answer looks like yes to me, but if there were any interesting moments in the process, it'd be interesting to hear.)

And a followup: When you think back on all these recordings and live shows, is there one record or one performance that really stands out in your mind, where you feel you really hit it out of the park, to use an Americanism? That magic gig or session where you felt you could do no wrong?

I've been driving thousands of miles in the past six months for work, and the Porcupine Tree playlist seems to get the very most airtime on my long, lonely drives. I appreciate you and your work.

I make a one inch zero ring and drop it inside each floor tom to control the amount of sustain. It just rests on the top of the bottom head (if that makes sense).

Mind blown.

Have you attempted this ring placement on the snare side of a snare drum? I am going to try the snare drum right now.

Hey Gavin! I want to start off by saying that you are probably my main influence on the drums. Listening to your playing has gotten me into a lot of jazz, and I can say I've definitely improved because of it. You're style and playing is simply superb, and you always find a way to make it interesting. I love all of your work with Porcupine Tree!

Anyway, I wanted to ask a couple of questions about your drum rack.
1) Is the front bar curved or is it straight? I'm only asking this because I like how your rack toms are in a nice straight line and I was wondering what kind of bar to get so I could have mine like that.

2) How exactly do you mount your toms on a Pearl rack without them being completely straight up and down? Since the bars are square, it seems to me as though this would be difficult. I like a bit of angle towards me from my rack toms, and you have this on your toms.

Hi Gavin
Is Possible you say the name of the hardware when you put your cup chimes on??
Humberto, you can find the exact Sonor parts/numbers in Gavin's thread if you search around a bit.

If you're into DIY - I've made a few bell holders myself, they work well and look ok, too.
I posted some infos on the parts I used and dimensions, plus pics, in this thread:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=92087
(Info on those DIY bell holders beginning from post #15...)

Hi humberto

I see one video of yours playing the song ''scar'' about 1 month ago and i have one question which kind of hihat is that one you use in this video ?? i mean i know is a k constantinople but which kind of size???

Those are 14" K Constantinople hi hats.

Hi alparrott

What's your thinking when coming into drum positions with so much history? How closely do you think you have to hew to the recorded version, or have the continuing bandmembers/leaders been pretty permissive in letting you retool the parts? (Again, the answer looks like yes to me, but if there were any interesting moments in the process, it'd be interesting to hear.)

When Robert Fripp invited me to join King Crimson - we discussed the drum parts and he very much wanted me to do my own thing. He told me to learn the songs but not the drum parts. He wanted me to improvise and play whatever I wanted. I don't think I could have had a more open invitation.

And a followup: When you think back on all these recordings and live shows, is there one record or one performance that really stands out in your mind, where you feel you really hit it out of the park, to use an Americanism? That magic gig or session where you felt you could do no wrong?

I really don't have such an elevated opinion about myself where I came off stage or out of a session and I punched the air and said "I hit it out of park". I nearly always think I could have done it better. There probably were days where I was pleased with the way it went - but I hardly ever listen back to records I've played on and if I do it's because I liked the song more than what I played on it.

Hi HutchinsonDrummer

I know this thread is meant specifically for drumming. However, would you be willing to answer questions about the music industry in general?

OK let's hear your questions.

Hi topgun2021

Have you attempted this ring placement on the snare side of a snare drum? I am going to try the snare drum right now.

No - and I can't imagine it working well. The bottom head on a snare drum doesn't really ring and sustain (the way a tom would) and most of the time the snare wires are pressing against it anyway. How did it sound?

Hi Theyoungdrum

Anyway, I wanted to ask a couple of questions about your drum rack.
1) Is the front bar curved or is it straight? I'm only asking this because I like how your rack toms are in a nice straight line and I was wondering what kind of bar to get so I could have mine like that.

It is straight...but I must say that I've kind of gone off the big bar across the front and I'm currently looking into other options.

2) How exactly do you mount your toms on a Pearl rack without them being completely straight up and down? Since the bars are square, it seems to me as though this would be difficult. I like a bit of angle towards me from my rack toms, and you have this on your toms.

The angle is coming from the Sonor tom mount. It has a ball inside the mount so you can position it anyway you want.

HI humberto

Is Possible you say the name of the hardware when you put your cup chimes on??

As Kalma said - It's Sonor Basic Arm hardware.

Cheers
Gavin

Hello Gavin. Hope you are well. :)

1. When you play drums with other musicians, what do you listen to? Do you listen to each instruments individually or listen to all of them together? What should a drummer/percussionist listen to while playing music with others?

2. Can you suggest some methods/techniques to improve the sense of time? By the sense of time I mean keeping the groove in the pocket and knowing when the tempo is fluctuating.

3. When playing solos/long fills how do you keep track of the ONE? Do you count the beats simultaneously in your head?

4. How do you come up with new ideas of grooves and fills?

- Sounak

I know this thread is meant specifically for drumming. However, would you be willing to answer questions about the music industry in general?

OK let's hear your questions.

I've been fortunate enough to do a few tours of the US so far with my own band. We do not have any type of label support, so everything we do, we do out-of-pocket ourselves. We're not necessarily looking to get onto a label, but we're amazed at the number of other bands who are more "radio friendly" than us get picked up by labels. Being in PT yourself, a band that is also not necessarily "radio friendly", how did getting onto to bigger labels like RoadRunner even happen? I'm not looking for advice, and i'm definitely not looking for handouts/ways to get onto a label. I'm just curious as to what the story is behind PT and maybe some other bands you've sessioned on.

Cheers!

- DH

Hi Gavin
Did You have some plans go start a tour(with PT or 05ric) in America(especially south america of course)???

I remeber another question'' Which kind of exercise do you recomend to (how i say....) make my left hand more better ?? i mean like my right hand have this difference of speed. So is possible you say me something about this??? and another one to start to develop foot independence??

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gavin:

I just received a 12 x 5 Sonor GH Protean snare drum. What a beautiful little beast it is and the sound is incredible! Thanks to you and Sonor for collaborating on such a well thought through product.

I am in the process of buying cymbals for my new acoustic kit (coming back from electronic drums) and I am weighing my options. I note you play 13” hi-hats while the trend seems to be going towards larger diameters. For the types of music you play, what do the 13” hats do better than other sizes?

Croc

Back