Show off your Ludwigs? : )

Are those Evans heads two plys, Vin? How dulikeum?

Yeah, they're G2s. I like them a lot but on these drums...nah...they're not right. I bought G2 clears today and am outfitting the toms right now. I think it's a better fit for these insanely hard-to-tune drums.

Maaa-ple!!!!

I love that kit, good for you Zam!

I remember playing a guys kit (years ago...1982-ish yikes!!) that had 3 up 1 (or 2 down) just like that kit, and it was one of the best sounding kits I've ever heard (next to mine of course haha...being as I learned to tune hahaha!!!).

Man I love Maple Ludwig kits....

Mendozart-
I have not had one problem with the Millennium strainers at all.

I've had them 3 years at least, maybe 4, can't remember how long to be honest.

Yeah...Ludwig still uses the screws.....but I find these don't have to be cranked at all using string, and maybe just a little tighter for plastic strips.

If they need to be real tight (?) then I'd suggest getting small Allen head screws--I put some on one of them--why I can't remember, because I didn't need too, maybe I thought they were cool or something....it's not impossible for "just thinking it was cooler" to maybe be the reason--or I could have lost one of the screws changing the string...
Could be that too, because I finally changed the string on that drum for the first time in at least 3 years.

The other 4 Millennium strainers have just the screws and they hold the wires on great.

I think it's a great strainer, and it looks great too IMO.

Here's the Tequila Sunrise Vistalites after being restored.

Attachments

• AFTER 7 (Medium).JPG
    AFTER 7 (Medium).JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 3,694
  • AFTER 6 (Medium).JPG
    AFTER 6 (Medium).JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 3,673
  • AFTER 5 (Medium).JPG
    AFTER 5 (Medium).JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 4,303
  • AFTER 4 (Medium).JPG
    AFTER 4 (Medium).JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 3,717
  • AFTER 3 (Medium).JPG
    AFTER 3 (Medium).JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 3,617
  • AFTER 2 (Medium).JPG
    AFTER 2 (Medium).JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 4,017
  • AFTER 1 (Medium).JPG
    AFTER 1 (Medium).JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 3,951
Here's a 70s Ludwig 3-ply kit I just finished refurbing. "Refurb" is a better word for it than "restore" because I wasn't trying to bring it back to original. I was just putting together a cool player's kit for cheap.

Sizes are 12/13/16/18/22.

Before:

2720927822_7fdf08170c.jpg

After:

2975292570_e12c7bc390_b.jpg

Here's a 70s Ludwig 3-ply kit I just finished refurbing. "Refurb" is a better word for it than "restore" because I wasn't trying to bring it back to original. I was just putting together a cool player's kit for cheap.

Wow, "Mikesdrums" they look beautiful...You did a great job
they look great.
Q: (just curious) why did you put Suspension Mounts on the toms?
they didn't have them in the 70's :)
Are those Gibralters or Ludwig suspension mounts?

Best,
Chazz

Sizes are 12/13/16/18/22.

Before:

2720927822_7fdf08170c.jpg

After:

2975292570_e12c7bc390_b.jpg

WOW, GREAT job!!
Looks fantastic.

I like the silvery RIMS mounts (the platinum finish?).

The White with Silver Sparkle inlay hoops are GREAT!

REALLY GREAT JOB!!

Thanks for the kind comments, guys! I'm really happy with the way these turned out.

Chazz: I always use suspension mounts because I like to get the most resonant tom sound possible. These are Gauger Percussion alloy RIMS, which are worth the extra money, IMO.

Amazing kits... *drool*

I was gonna post pics of my Ludwig set, but seeing as it's just a modern entry-level kit, and everybody here is posting amazing vintage kits, I think I'll just spare myself the humiliation -.-

Seriously.. What the HELL IS WRONG WITH LUDWIG!??!

.. never sending free drums to my house.

Arg.

Man.. ludwig makes insane.. AWESOME drums.

The year was 1970. This kit was just coming off of the assembly line, in all of its 20x14/12x8/14x14 glory...

*fast forward almost 40 years*

...and here it is! The snare is a 1965 Slingerland, but I'm sure I could seek forgiveness if needed. If you heard it, though, you'd know it wasn't necessary...

Attachments

• Ludwig front.jpg
    Ludwig front.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 3,690
  • Ludwig front 2.jpg
    Ludwig front 2.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 3,644
  • Ludwig back.jpg
    Ludwig back.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 3,629
  • Ludwig clamp detail.jpg
    Ludwig clamp detail.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 3,676
Don't think I posted this before, so here's some shots of my black galaxy acrolite with my gretsch's. The serial no. is 6266318, can I determine the production year from this? It's a black/white curvy edge badge.

DSCN0004.jpg

DSCN0006.jpg

DSCN0031.jpg

Back