Show off your Ludwigs? : )

My amazing 5" x 14" Ludwig acrolite '79.

P1020705.jpg
[/IMG]

Birch. I also have a 10" tom that I'm not currently using. I kinda feel bad about that, for no really explainable reason.

Also, I'm looking for a single tom holder for the bass drum.

Ben

Ben,

These are super cheap brandy new. It's sold alone for about $25... or with the bass drum bracket part for around $70 (ouch) .

-Ryan

Last edited:
Don't mind if I do.

1989 Ludwigs, supposedly signed on the inside by Ginger Baker.
18 x18" bass drum (converted from floor tom.)
10 x10" and 13 x13" toms.
5 x14" DW Solid Shell Maple Craviato snare.
20" K Custom Medium Ride.
16" A Thin Crash (on the bass drum.)
17" K Dark Crash Medium Thin.
13" K hats.
DW hardware and pedals.

Photo71.jpg

Photo72.jpg

Photo69.jpg

MAN... I just posted a new thread with these Ludwigs in em... and then realized there was a show your ludwigs thread right below it!! Oh well here they are.

IMGP3417.jpg

IMGP3425.jpg

IMGP3420.jpg

IMGP3424.jpg

IMGP3423.jpg

I'm drooling over all the nat maple kits showing up!
keep those coming!!

made a few changes...using the gong now too...

P10104462.jpg

P10104492.jpg

20x26 bass drum
6.5 BB (or 6.5 hammered Chrome or 6.5 CM RS matching snare)
9x13
12x14 ft
2-14x16 ft
16x18 ft

Cymbals L-R
20" Vault crash
15" sizzle hats
19" med thin
24" APX ride (new not in pic-- 24" AA med in pic)
21" med thin
20" orchestral suspended
28" Wuhan Wind Gong.

made a few changes...using the gong now too...

Hey Karl,
This set is definitely one of my favorites on the forum. I just noticed you are using the DW bass drum cymbal mount. I too am a big fan of DW hardware and pedals. It kind of reminds me of a Bruford set-up, what with all the floor (or flat) toms. I also want a 20" Vault crash really bad. One question, I know that you have stated that you have two late model ('00 & '04) BB's, and wondered are they the same size? If so, why would you basically own two of the same drum? Just wondering.

Picked these up at a garage sale a few weeks ago. I plan on giving them a proper restoration over the next few months. Tequila Sunrise Vistalites: 14x24, 5x14, 9x13, 10x14, 16x16, and 16x18.

Attachments

• Center Front 14x24 Bass (Small).JPG
    Center Front 14x24 Bass (Small).JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 4,084
  • Driver's Seat (Small).JPG
    Driver's Seat (Small).JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 3,990
  • Floor Toms (Small).JPG
    Floor Toms (Small).JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 3,979
  • Left Front (Small).JPG
    Left Front (Small).JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 4,047
  • Right Front (Small).JPG
    Right Front (Small).JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 3,918
Picked these up at a garage sale a few weeks ago. I plan on giving them a proper restoration over the next few months. Tequila Sunrise Vistalites: 14x24, 5x14, 9x13, 10x14, 16x16, and 16x18.

I've got to have those!
Cool set.

Hey Karl,
This set is definitely one of my favorites on the forum. I just noticed you are using the DW bass drum cymbal mount. I too am a big fan of DW hardware and pedals. It kind of reminds me of a Bruford set-up, what with all the floor (or flat) toms. I also want a 20" Vault crash really bad. One question, I know that you have stated that you have two late model ('00 & '04) BB's, and wondered are they the same size? If so, why would you basically own two of the same drum? Just wondering.

Thanks for the nice words!

Bruford's set is pretty cool yeah, I really like it.

I really like being able to do things just by moving my hand over in any direction and not having to stretch at all....gets the left hand working a lot, and I can do things that I'd no way be able to get that sound if the drums weren't on the left side.

I can't wait to see what you picked up now!!

Actually, I made the BD cymbal mount.
I have a DW bracket on a few bass drums, but a Gretsch on the RS kit.
The Gretsch has a "notch" for the memory lock so it's in the exact same place every time.

With the DW, I had to make sure it was straight and not over one side or the other because the DW mem lock has some play to it...which is a weird overlook for a company that usually designs problems out of pieces....the Pacific bracket has a notch...

bdcm1.jpg

I have DW, Ludwig & Gibraltar (brake tilter shown) tilters for it, depending on the hardware I feel like using.

I made a few of different center section lengths too.

It real adjustable, and I modeled it after the old Rogers cymbal holder.
It's sturdy as #@$% too.

I always liked DW's hardware, and I'm using the single braced stuff now--very sturdy and all the same features (memory locks, gearless tilter, etc...) as the heavy stands, just smaller tubing!
I even got the lighter hat stand and I really dig it.
About half the weight in the trap case now, but I have to use the big stand for "the gong".

The 20" Vault crash is great, one of my favorites.

It's crash is smooth and immediate, the bell is very nice and the wash when riding on it is really nice too--and you don't have to hit it hard at all (unlike a lot of 20's) to get it to respond.

It can also do nice, smooth suspended rolls.

I have 2 6.5 Brass BB's because...

1, I love the sound & 2, I wanted an exact back up in case one went down at a gig.
I didn't want a back up that I would go,"Oh man, now I gotta play this one".

I also just love 6.5 snares...always have.

The other BB is the 89 Bronze shell and it's 6.5 also.

The 2 Brass ones have tubes and straight hoops...

snarebass-1.jpg

and the Bronze has standard hoops and Imperial lugs.

I switched 5 of the snares over to the Millennium throw off, the Acrolite will get one next, and the 8" eventually, but I hardly ever use the 8, so it's low on the list of things to do.
My 5" WM snares strainer holes won't fit the Mill strainer, unless I drill another hole, so I will probably leave it as is, but I'd like to have one on it.

I have always had a certain sound in my head of what I want a snare to sound like, & I just always end up tuning all the snares the same--no matter the snare--even if I don't start out to do it!
Is that a sickness?! haha!

My other few snares are made from different materials, so even though they may end up tuned "the same", they all have different characters so it isn't completely stupid.

They just all sound like "my" snare.

One of my friends came to a recording mix session and said "I can totally tell that's you playing, and that's your snare"...and I hadn't seen this friend in years, so I guess I'm either doomed, or it's a good thing haha!

After some gentle nudging from my pal mikei, I started using some 42 strand wires, and I have to admit, they are pretty cool.
I always loved them on 5" drums, and the Acrolite really sounds great with them, but I always wanted...I don't know...a little "dirt" from the snare, so I used the 20 strands (the cheap ones too) for a long time.

But, I will say the 42's instantly made the Classic Maple snare come alive big time, and I'm really digging it.
I was thinking of selling that snare too, but not now.

But now, thanks to mike, I have to fork out dough for more wires dang it! :p!!

Be sure to post your latest acquisition!!!!

1, I love the sound & 2, I wanted an exact back up in case one went down at a gig.
I didn't want a back up that I would go,"Oh man, now I gotta play this one".

I also just love 6.5 snares...always have.

I switched 5 of the snares over to the Millennium throw off

I started using some 42 strand wires

Be sure to post your latest acquisition!!!!

Hey Karl,
I see what you are saying on having the same snare for a back-up, great idea.

I too love 6.5" snares, I think they are the perfect size.

About the Millenium throw, have you had any problems with any of them yet? I've heard a couple drummers complain about some screws coming loose. I want to put one of these on my Bronze Supra and just want to be sure they are solid.

Aside from the 42 wires, I also love the Puresound Super 30 wires.

As far as new acquisitions, I'm actually building my first snare. Actually, I'm just assembling it. I'm calling it my "Yin Yang" drum. There's a builder over at the GhostNote site that is finishing the shell for me, it's a 6.5x14 6-ply keller shell with 6-ply re-rings. I should have the shell soon and will post it when it's finished.

WOW!

Very awesome Vinnie!!!!

Congrats on kit number 328!

Can't wait to see kit 329!!!

...would these count ?

This is my franken kit. It consists of a 20" dw bass drum, 15x13" floor tom, 13x5" maple snare, and a pair of 10x7, and 12x8" rivet seamed, BO badge Ludwig rack toms.

The cymbals are all of the zildjians that I have. They consist of a 20" A med ride, 14" A newbeat hats, 16" K dark crash, 18" oriental classic china, 16" A med thin crash, and a 14" paper thin crash,(more a splash with a hard on).

This is a nice sounding combo, and I have a couple of days off to enjoy them.

...Frankie has morphed.

I have added my 14x14 sonor force 3 something or other floor tom, and a sonor 10x8 tuned timbale tight and mounted high up, in between the two floor toms.

I have also added a tambourine, double pedal, and COWBELLLLLL!!!!!!!

It's a completely different beast from what I am the most comfortable on, but I am sure having a wanka lanka thon on these.

Barry

Barry

Last edited:
Back