Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,

First, thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge with us here.

Forgive me if this subject has been touched on many times before as this is a rather long thread, but I had a quick question regarding your grip. You mention that you've been playing since you were 6 and took lessons, but I notice that your grip is quite unconventional when looking at other drummers who have studied for as long as you have. You grip the sticks very far back. Obviously, this works for you, and very well at that. Have you played like this, even when taking lessons? Or were you taught to grip the sticks a different way, but then found something else that works better for you?

Hey Gavin,
Firstly, I'd just like to say that I am completely blown away by your work with Porcupine Tree, as a soloist and with OSI. I have a performance coming up in a few months that I really want to play Bonnie The Cat for. Do you know of anywhere I can purchase a drum backing track; as playing over the top of the drums doesn't seem to work out when adding my own fills.
Thanks,
Alex

Hi Timzy

Ive been looking at a pair of Remix 12" hats,not a lot of info on them
what do you recon ?

Yeah I love them. Sadly I don't have a pair of those anymore.

ps is this you? on a rather big kit :) Renaissance concert November 24, 1983 in Chicago, IL.

I'm afraid so.

Hi dmacc

Just now watched & listened to Gavin's Vic Firth Interview Clips. Let me please just express what an intelligent and eloquent set of clips. These clips are a joy to listen to.

thanks very much - that was already 5 years ago! For those of you who've never seen them...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eNVyTB-5GI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLbkSymIw9o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM6bDkP37wA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRZOu2kpiJ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sdUB4DbrVU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHeXwSun69s

Hi Croc

Still very much enjoying my 12" Protean snare and am looking forward to your Zildjian workshop at Vic's in Chicago this October. One thing I've noticed with the "S" hoops on the Protean is cross sticking is a little more challenging. Are there any tricks you can recommend to obtain a higher volume level or do I just need to work a little harder?

you're never really going too get a big cross stick sound from a 12" drum - like you can from a 14" (of course) because of the size of the stick v the drum size. Especially with my sticks which are nearly 17" long.

Hi humberto

Tell me more about your job with king crimson... Did you record a full album, or just some songs like scarcity of miracles?

I played some live shows with King Crimson and there's a live recording of our show in Chicago available from dgmlive.com

... and tell me about your job with ed poole and laurence cottle.

I've known Ed Poole since I was about 13 years old. He worked in my local music shop and I would go and jam with him in his lunch breaks. Great funky player.
I met Laurence in the late 80's (and he lives close to me). We've been working together quite a bit in the last few years...and it's always a great pleasure to play with him too. I've been very lucky regarding bass players.

Do you have plans to make another dvd talking maybe abouth the album ''the man who sold himself''? or another things?

I've kind of gone off the idea of making DVDs. They require hundreds of hours of work - and I got tired of seeing my work put up on the internet for free download (peer to peer servers and YouTube etc). I wasn't doing it to make money - I just got saddened that people decided to give my work a value of absolute zero.

Hi FoolInTheRain

I had a quick question regarding your grip. You mention that you've been playing since you were 6 and took lessons, but I notice that your grip is quite unconventional when looking at other drummers who have studied for as long as you have. You grip the sticks very far back. Obviously, this works for you, and very well at that. Have you played like this, even when taking lessons? Or were you taught to grip the sticks a different way, but then found something else that works better for you?

No I wasn't taught that grip (I started off with classic matched German grip) - and I didn't really start playing right at the back of the stick until the mid 80's when I was playing with Iggy Pop and I needed to play more aggressively and hit harder. It was the only grip that I could get the kind of power I wanted. I wouldn't say it's good/bad right/wrong or particularly recommend it - it just works for me.

Hi mralexnorton

I have a performance coming up in a few months that I really want to play Bonnie The Cat for. Do you know of anywhere I can purchase a drum backing track; as playing over the top of the drums doesn't seem to work out when adding my own fills.

sorry but the track is not available.

cheers
Gavin

Hello Master,

1 - I practice with YAMAHA electric drum kit at home and here in Dubai the cost of rent a room to put the Kit and practice is too high. However , what stage of drumming is necessary and mandatory for having the Acoustic Kit and in my status shall I buy snare at least and practice at home or still doesn't help at all.

2 - What drum kit you recommend for intermediate drummer level? I'm interested in sonor because of you played so long with different models.

Cheers
Sina

Hi Gavin,

what was your motivation to suddenly change from 14 / 16 floor toms to the more unusual 15 / 18? The aim to achieve some new musical intervals but having each tom sound at its sweet spot in parallel?

Thank you Gavin for the live videos on your Youtube channel. It's a joy to watch you all play these songs.

Best of luck with the upcoming tour!

Hi sina

1 - I practice with YAMAHA electric drum kit at home and here in Dubai the cost of rent a room to put the Kit and practice is too high. However , what stage of drumming is necessary and mandatory for having the Acoustic Kit and in my status shall I buy snare at least and practice at home or still doesn't help at all.

I don't think buying a snare drum and playing it at home will make much difference - apart from annoying your neighbours. Playing acoustic drums requires a balance of subtleties - you need to be in control of all the elements in a way that isn't the same on an E-kit. I understand your problem - and if you have a chance to go to a rehearsal room and play on an acoustic kit - you should whenever you can.

2 - What drum kit you recommend for intermediate drummer level? I'm interested in sonor because of you played so long with different models.

If you can find an old Sonor DeLight or something similar you won't be disappointed.

Hi Triplet Emitter

what was your motivation to suddenly change from 14 / 16 floor toms to the more unusual 15 / 18? The aim to achieve some new musical intervals but having each tom sound at its sweet spot in parallel?

The truth is that I play the first floor tom a lot more than the second (and larger) one...and a 14" wasn't quite doing it for me. Once I tried a 15" - I was in love. It sounded so much better (to my ears) and the logical conclusion was to have an 18" to follow it. When I played 15" & 16" i had to tune the 16" so low that all the tone went out of it.
I'm very happy with them now.

Hi
Vladoš

Have you doing any strech exercises for hands ?

Not specifically - but I do need to warm up on a pad for 20-30 minutes to get up to a comfortable performance level.

For those of you who may not have seen my list of upcoming dates with O5Ric and the band in November December - here they are: more links at my website http://www.gavharrison.com/news.php

12/11 Lille - FR - Marcq en Baroeul, Jazz en Nord at Charcot Theater
13/11 Hamburg - DE - Logo
14/11 Berlin - DE - Crystal
15/11 Krakow - PL - Klub Studio
16/11 Opole - PL - Panstwowa Szkola Muzyczna
17/11 Wroclaw - PL - Klub Zaklete
18/11 Ostrava - CZ - Klub Parnik
20/11 Nurnberg - DE - Hirsch
21/11 Aarburg - CH - Moonwalker
22/11 Lugagnano - IT - Il Giardino
23/11 Rome - IT -CrossXRoads
24/11 Milan - IT - Blue Note
26/11 Pisa (San Giovanni alla Vena) - IT - Blitz Club
28/11 Toulon - FR - Le Vox
29/11 Barcelona - ES -Razzmatazz 2
30/11 Madrid - ES -(Venue changed to) Sala Copernico
3/12 Aschaffenburg - DE - Colos Saal
4/12 Cologne - DE - Underground
6/12 Amsterdam - NL - Pardiso
7/12 Paris - FR - Batofar

cheers
Gavin

Hi master,

How about practice discipline 2-3 hours a day for 2-3 years?
1 - Rudiments
2 - General Techniques
3 - Syncopations - Chart reading
4 - Double Bass
5 - Drum tuning and recording with pro Tools
All above for 2-3 hours 7 days a week for 2-3 years. Based on your current understanding of drum practicing and the experience you have;What would be the result ? Can I find a job to play in any record or band professionally ?

2- I searched in Sonor website and found ProLite not DeLite. And what's your concern about Old DeLite?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Gavin, my name is Dominika Aranyos from Hungary. I would appriciate if you could send me some information about how I can order from you a pair of drumsticks with your signature (price, account number/address, etc...). My e-mail address: [email protected]. I saw on the Internet a lot of drumsticks with your signature but they're not so good for me (Vic Firth) because I prefer the 'written by hand' signature... :) If you want me, I can send you a pair of drumsticks which you can sign. My boyfriend, Gara is your big fan and I would like to give them for his birthday and it would be awesome that you could write a birthday wish, too (Happy birthday, Gara!) His birthday will be next month. Thank you for your help! Cheers, Dominika

Dear Gavin, my name is Dominika Aranyos from Hungary. I would appriciate if you could send me some information about how I can order from you a pair of drumsticks with your signature (price, account number/address, etc...). My e-mail address: [email protected]. I saw on the Internet a lot of drumsticks with your signature but they're not so good for me (Vic Firth) because I prefer the 'written by hand' signature... :) If you want me, I can send you a pair of drumsticks which you can sign. My boyfriend, Gara is your big fan and I would like to give them for his birthday and it would be awesome that you could write a birthday wish, too (Happy birthday, Gara!) His birthday will be next month. Thank you for your help! Cheers, Dominika

Sorry Dominika, but he probably won't be able to do that! That would open the door for far too many of us to ask for this (or something similar, 'cause most of us would kill for something like this), and he could not do that. I think it's similar to him not commenting on other people's drumming. So... Of course, this is just my opinion, not an absolute fact, but I'm pretty sure he won't be able to do that!

But Happy BDay for him!

A fellow hungarian,
Matthew (Matyi - I know, that would be Matthias in english, but it's a rare name, plus I don't like it, so... I'm using Matthew in England/Ireland)

Last edited:
Hi Gavin, How are you......?

I'm okay and i hope you too...

Well, i was listening the incident this morning,and i have a few questions...
first:
Which drumset you have used in the recording process of the album.......?

second
Do you have used some different types of snare?? especially in the song '' the blind house'' and ''remember me lover'' ? (by the way this snare sounds amazing...)

third

Do you have some equipment to use just in studio? i mean some snares, maybe prototype cymbals, some percussion things...... you just only in a studio or in a recording situation or something?

fourth

tell me your plans to this year... about you work? to recording with someone or not???

Last question

tell me more about your (amazing job by the way) with Antoine Fafard.....

i was lookling for something like that, whan i listen to the song'' Peace for 4'' With your amazing drumming.... tell me more, How you started with this project?
When you have this idea..... and more...

Well, thanks to your time... and your drumming
I hope see you soon....

Greetings from Brazil
Humberto lelis

Hi sina

How about practice discipline 2-3 hours a day for 2-3 years?
1 - Rudiments
2 - General Techniques
3 - Syncopations - Chart reading
4 - Double Bass
5 - Drum tuning and recording with pro Tools
All above for 2-3 hours 7 days a week for 2-3 years. Based on your current understanding of drum practicing and the experience you have;What would be the result ? Can I find a job to play in any record or band professionally ?

What would be the result? I don't really know because there's good practise and bad practise. Say you practise double bass drum everyday for 2-3 years - I don't know if you'll achieve accurate playing unless that is the thing you are really concentrating on. Maybe you'll be good at playing 16th notes - but it depends exactly what you practise, how you practise and how you judge if you're doing it right or wrong. Practising that long won't guarantee a job - you need to be a little bit lucky and know a few good people.

Though it's certainly good to have a plan and some discipline.

2- I searched in Sonor website and found ProLite not DeLite. And what's your concern about Old DeLite?

Nothing wrong with either - but if you were on a tight budget you could find a bargain in some old DeLite. If budget is not a concern - then get a new ProLite...they're great.

Hi adomi

Dear Gavin, my name is Dominika Aranyos from Hungary. I would appriciate if you could send me some information about how I can order from you a pair of drumsticks with your signature (price, account number/address, etc...). My e-mail address: [email protected]. I saw on the Internet a lot of drumsticks with your signature but they're not so good for me (Vic Firth) because I prefer the 'written by hand' signature... :)

Unfortunately the only way you'll get them 'hand signed' is if you meet me at a drum event. I don't do a return and delivery service - I appreciate your gesture - and I wish your boyfriend Gara all the best for his birthday. Sorry I can't do more.

I get a lot of requests through the private messages and FaceBook including:

Can I have your drumset - please send it to me - I live in South America (the guy wrote to me about 100 times) in the end he said "OK then - just the cymbals".
Can you make a video message for my drumming friend
Can I have all of your backing tracks without the drums
Can you play on my album for free - it's really good stuff, you'll love it
Can you watch my YouTube video and give me some advice about my drumming
Can you watch my YouTube video and leave some great message in the comments
Can you play at my birthday party
Can you send me some of Steve Wilson's hair
Can I stay at your house and you teach me to play the drums
Can you contribute financially to my music education
Can you put me on the guest list

unfortunately I can't make any of those things come true.

Hi humberto

Well, i was listening the incident this morning,and i have a few questions...
first: Which drumset you have used in the recording process of the album.......?

Sonor SQ2 black and white tribal finish. You'll probably find some photos of it on Google. It's the same one I used on the Anesthetize DVD

Do you have used some different types of snare?? especially in the song '' the blind house'' and ''remember me lover'' ? (by the way this snare sounds amazing...)

I don't remember which snare drum I used on those songs.

Do you have some equipment to use just in studio? i mean some snares, maybe prototype cymbals, some percussion things...... you just only in a studio or in a recording situation or something?

I use the exact same drums and cymbals in the studio as I do live.

tell me your plans to this year... about you work? to recording with someone or not???

I have a lot of recording projects just completed and more to do in the coming months. From September 2014 I will be touring with King Crimson.

tell me more about your (amazing job by the way) with Antoine Fafard.i was lookling for something like that, whan i listen to the song'' Peace for 4'' With your amazing drumming.... tell me more, How you started with this project?

Antoine contacted me and invited me to make a session for him playing on that one tune. I liked the tune and agreed to do it. I think it came out really well - and there's lots of good drummers on the other tunes so it's a good album to buy. I believe all of them recorded in their own studios so it's a good comparison of drum sounds too.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

I was just curious what the experience was like working with the team at Vic Firth to develop your signature stick, from start to finish. Two things in particular I'm curious about...

1. What stick did you use as a starting point in the design process, if at all?

2. Did having a stick made to your exact specifications improve your drumming? If so, how?

Hi Gavin!

Hope you're well! Sorry for the long list in advance!

First: What is your opinion on putting percussion stuff on the drums? Like roto-toms (I have one on mine), octobans, timbales, etc. I chose an 8" roto, because I needed an 8" sound, but for my drum (Mapex Saturn IV) there is no 8" tom as an option. And also because one of my new favourites (Karnivool's Steve Judd) uses one the same way. I like his style, but sometimes his approach to rhythm and accenting is... weird. But to be back on track: Have you ever used anything like these instruments? If you did, why not anymore?

Second: How long did it take to find your "perfect setup"? I'm asking this, because I constantly remake my setup every few months. Last time just a few hours ago. I did it, even though I felt that I've found my ideal setup 2-3 setups ago. :( Sometimes it's just slight adjustments on the cymbal angles, sometimes I even reevaluate what toms I want to use,which causes a reimagination of my rack-setup and therefore cymbal placement too, etc. I do these simply because I can always find a more comfortable (or more logical) angle, placement or distance. Honestly, It's driving me crazy! It is fun to mess around with it, yes! (I'm probably a gear-junkie of sorts.) But I don't want to do this as many times as many times I'm doing it. It takes away way too much time from other stuff! But I don't really have the option/will to stop! :( So I'm trying to find out if it's only me who is that nuts, or... :)

Third: About drop clutches. I noticed, that you are using your hihats quite wide open (when the clutch is not dropped, and your feet is not on the pedal). When I started using my drop clutch, at first I've set my hihats at the usual space from each other (approx. 1-1,5 cm). But after a while, I realized that when I have my drop clutch disengaged and I hit a bit harder on the hihats, the drop clutch locks back again, pulling the cymbals apart. So I started using a bigger gap between my hihats. That solved the relocking issue, but that also changed the open hihat sound I was using, and liked very much before. So now, I'm just trying to hit with less power when I'm using the hihats "dropped". But because of that, I feel like I've lost some of the dynamics (and volume) from that "dropped hihats" kind of playing. Should I try to tighten down a bit more my hihats? That way they would not swing as much, and might not cause the clutch to lock back up again. I don't really want to, but if that is the answer, I will have to do it. Is this an issue with my technique, or did you have similar problems too in the past and that's why you are using your hihats that far apart?

Fourth: About snare tuning. In the last few weeks I've read (and found YT-videos) about a method: cranked up batter head, slightly loose reso head on the snare. They claim that this method ends up in a full bodied snare, nice crack, good attack and short sustain. But doesn't this method also makes the snare loose sensitivity (like ghost notes, etc.)? I have never tried this method, because everything I know about snare tuning goes against this. Have you ever tried this? What is your opinion about this tuning method?

Cheers,
Matthew

Last edited:
As a long time lurker on this thread and a HUGE fan of your drumming, I just wanted to let you know that i'm extremely excited about seeing you this Tuesday in Dallas. Thanks for coming through!

Can I have your drumset - please send it to me - I live in South America (the guy wrote to me about 100 times) in the end he said "OK then - just the cymbals".
Can you make a video message for my drumming friend
Can I have all of your backing tracks without the drums
Can you play on my album for free - it's really good stuff, you'll love it
Can you watch my YouTube video and give me some advice about my drumming
Can you watch my YouTube video and leave some great message in the comments
Can you play at my birthday party
Can you send me some of Steve Wilson's hair
Can I stay at your house and you teach me to play the drums
Can you contribute financially to my music education
Can you put me on the guest list

unfortunately I can't make any of those things come true.
WOW!! There are some really outrageous questions there! People can be unbelievable...

WOW!! There are some really outrageous questions there! People can be unbelievable...

yeah...my favorite..

"Can you send me some of Steve Wilson's hair"

LOL!

<<visions of Gavin sneaking around the tour bus with a pair of scissors in hand>>

Back