Your Wisdom Woodshed

Reverse everything. Don't limit yourself.

wholekitun8.jpg

How do you get into it

there's no space

New member here and a new beginner drummer. I have been playing guitar and singing for many years and always wanted to learn to play the drums so I bought a Yamaha electric drum set last week. This looks like a great site for learning all kinds of things drums. I hope to learn a lot here. I'm 37 yrs old so I'm starting kinda late but I know the basics of how to keep a beat from the drummers in the bands I have been in so hopefully I will learn fairly quickly. I know I'm having a blast so far.

Here is my practice space before the drums.

Copy of Studio Pics Full Shot.jpg
and after

DSCN1962 - Copy.JPG

DSCN1959 - Copy.JPG

DSCN1965 - Copy.JPG

DSCN1966 - Copy.JPG

DSCN1967 - Copy.JPG

DSCN1969 - Copy.JPG

it's the loft in my house. I went electric so as not to bother my wife to much LOL.

Attachments

• Jan12_001 (2).jpg
    Jan12_001 (2).jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 3,553
  • Jan12_002.jpg
    Jan12_002.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 3,545
Last edited:
New member here and a new beginner drummer. I have been playing guitar and singing for many years and always wanted to learn to play the drums so I bought a Yamaha electric drum set last week. This looks like a great site for learning all kinds of things drums. I hope to learn a lot here. I'm 37 yrs old so I'm starting kinda late but I know the basics of how to keep a beat from the drummers in the bands I have been in so hopefully I will learn fairly quickly. I know I'm having a blast so far.

it's the loft in my house. I went electric so as not to bother my wife to much LOL.

Nice pad. How does the slanted wall affect the sound? I have moved into a new home and my music room is upstairs and there is a slanted wall behind the set, but not that large, and I think it helps reflect the sound better.

This is my (very basic) woodshed. It's in my bedroom so before i study, i usally grab my chair and sit in front of the pad with my sticks. first. (and play rudiments of course)
I got my guitar over there too, i usualy play it before i go to sleep.
I forgot to take my swiss knife away, but i love that thing. I've used it for so many things it's always near me.

I use both regular sticks as the aheads. (both 5A)
I practice my rudiments with the aheads as well because i use them for gigging so i'll have the feel of those sticks aswell.
You need some mirrors in front and to the side of you.

Nice pad. How does the slanted wall affect the sound? I have moved into a new home and my music room is upstairs and there is a slanted wall behind the set, but not that large, and I think it helps reflect the sound better.

Thanks, I designed and built the house 7 years ago.

It's sloped on the other side also and the entire area is pretty big so the sound reflects down on the opposite side of the loft into the living room I would guess. I resized some more pics show better. Most of these pics are older and don't have the drums in them though.

It's probably not the best recording area but it's fun to play up their. It's like a stage LOL :)

This is the front of the house the loft is located top left of the house.
024_24.jpg
This is the other end of the loft
Copy of Studio Pics 009.jpg
This shows how the other roof line comes down on the inside. I don't know how much the beams reflect the sound if the do at all.
Bdrm from loft.jpg
Under the loft=kitchen
Kitchen from stairs.jpg

Bdrm from living - Copy.jpg
Looking down into the living room
Apr23_008.jpg
Front wall Interior
Oct14_013.jpg
Resized this to show my little workstation-Korg D1200. I recorded all the songs in the link from my signature with this.

Attachments

• Studio Closeup 1.jpg
    Studio Closeup 1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 3,507
This is my home wentzville missouri 1 mile from Berry Park ( Chuck Berry's place. anybody know who that guy is ?) My woodshed is in the unfinished part of the basement ( by order of my wife you know)

Attachments

• kenny's drums 016.jpg
    kenny's drums 016.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 3,438
  • kitchen bath and house construction 011.jpg
    kitchen bath and house construction 011.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 3,796
I dig the Billy Gladstone pad, I still have mine from forth grade. I am now 39 years old you do the math! I still use it, it's still a great practise pad.

How do you tune that thing Do you add trash or take the trash out ?

Last edited:
I forgot to post my old woodshed first

Attachments

• Barn Demo5.jpg
    Barn Demo5.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 3,500
  • Barn Demo6.jpg
    Barn Demo6.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 3,474
Just had the basement finished, and got my music room done up. Double walls, insulation, all that great stuff.

I can play full kit, no mutes, at night, with family sleeping... and they don't wake up. My wife said it is quieter with me doing this than when I had my e-kit setup in the room down the hall from the master bedroom, with all the doors shut. So I'm happy.

People can still hear the drums in the house, but they are very quiet.

MusicRoom12.jpg

MusicRoom14.jpg

MusicRoom13.jpg

MusicRoom15.jpg

MusicRoom113.jpg

Just redid my room to be more drum-centric. I have a SONOR FORCE 3003 5-Piece (only use 4 pieces), and SABIAN AAX Cymbals.

n767318254_878466_9481.jpg

In addition to a very noisy Vic Firth Practice Pad, I also use these things, the bane of my world... but very useful when parents are getting a headache.
n767318254_878467_9762.jpg

Random photo of my hardware (which I LOVE):
n767318254_878470_533.jpg

And I created this little drum station out of unused shelving and use it for a practice pad stand and music shelf.
n767318254_878471_793.jpg

I keep the floor area clear and my drums pointed inward to facilitate practice. This is in a section of a basement with cement walls on two sides and lots of house on the other, so I haven't had a complaint from neighbors in the six years I've lived here.

Room1.jpg

Heaven!!

That is an absolutely beautiful room! It looks like a very comfortable museum of sorts. What are the two large, dark, tapered, cylindrical wood drums against the wall on the right side?

Heaven!!

That is an absolutely beautiful room! It looks like a very comfortable museum of sorts. What are the two large, dark, tapered, cylindrical wood drums against the wall on the right side?

Thanks for the comments. Alas, that room is no more as I have moved. I have another room of comparable size with the same stuff in it.

The two large drums are bass ashikos, 13 and 14 inches. They're bolt tuned, in contrast to the traditional rope tuning. The ashikos are forefathers of the congas - when the Spanish brought slaves to Cuba, the slaves sought to re-create their traditional drums, including the ashiko. The closest thing they could find were rum barrels, like wine barrels but smaller. They put heads on those and thus the conga drum was born.

Thanks, I designed and built the house 7 years ago.

It's sloped on the other side also and the entire area is pretty big so the sound reflects down on the opposite side of the loft into the living room I would guess. I resized some more pics show better. Most of these pics are older and don't have the drums in them though.

It's probably not the best recording area but it's fun to play up their. It's like a stage LOL :)

This is the front of the house the loft is located top left of the house.
View attachment 16396
This is the other end of the loft
View attachment 16397
This shows how the other roof line comes down on the inside. I don't know how much the beams reflect the sound if the do at all.
View attachment 16398
Under the loft=kitchen
View attachment 16403

View attachment 16400
Looking down into the living room
View attachment 16401
Front wall Interior
View attachment 16402
Resized this to show my little workstation-Korg D1200. I recorded all the songs in the link from my signature with this.

Yeah dude If you wake up on the snow it's because i stole you house. lol. NICE place!!

I divide my time between my 'wisdom woodshed' and my room when it comes to music, usually either drumming or playing guitar:

My drum room at the moment:
My drumkit, and my yamaha dtxplorer set up, for the late night practices:
1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3.jpg

and..my room, where im either guitaring..keyboarding or recording haha
Here are two of my guitars, my 50th anniversary usa strat and my gibson les paul studio. love em :)
4-2.jpg

and finally my keyboard
5-1.jpg

New setup in the basement. I simplified and sold some things, as well as bought a new kit...

Back