Ironwood drum set

Haha great description.

DMC - I bet that thing is darn heavy and extremely loud?

Yes, very heavy and very loud. The drums are small - 18 bass, 14, 12, 10 and 8 toms, 13 by 4 snare - but they have the weight and sound of much larger drums. They're also square sized, so you really hear the ironwood sound. I promise I will get some sound clips up soon.

Aydee, that is a pretty cool tree you photographed. Ironwood is a generic name for any extremely hard wood, but I bet you could make a shell out of just about any kind of wood. I believe the heaviest, densest woods come from hot, dry climates. Something tells me ironwood is too dense to be shaved into plies so staves or solid shell would be the only way to go.

Drumsword, I know you are a spiritual person. When I got these shells I did thank God for creating the tree and for safeguarding the loggers and craftsmen to risked their safety to create the drums. The tree was about 300 years in the making and I will cherish these drums for the rest of my life.

I wish I was good... At 40 seconds in is someone screaming?

Great swing, excellent time and feel, and of course they sound very special and incredible.
Thanks I really like your groove.

Nice feel. I liked your work on the toms while keep a ride cymbal pattern going over the top. When you moved to the hi-hats but the kept the same pattern going, I was confused as to how before I remembered you play open-handed. : ) Nice swing feel.

Nice feel. I liked your work on the toms while keep a ride cymbal pattern going over the top. When you moved to the hi-hats but the kept the same pattern going, I was confused as to how before I remembered you play open-handed. : ) Nice swing feel.

Thanks. I always took it for granted that I could play patterns on the toms while keeping a ride pattern going but now that you mention it, it would be impossible to do playing crossed.

Drumsword, the "stadium effect" comment cracked me up. At least someone cheers when I play!

Here is a long-awaited sound file of me playing the Kahuna Set a couple of days ago. Forgive the sound quality - it was recorded with one of those little Yamaha Pocketrak 300, set about 10 feet from the kit, mic sensitivity about half, medium sound quality.

Click here to watch Soirit-set-sample-1

Hey, you play good, DMC! That was a real nice n' greasy groove. I liked what you did with the toms and the hat accents through the ride pattern. Very funky, indeed.

The drum quality comes thru despite the recording. Your daughter sounded good too.

Hey, you play good, DMC! That was a real nice n' greasy groove. I liked what you did with the toms and the hat accents through the ride pattern. Very funky, indeed.

The drum quality comes thru despite the recording. Your daughter sounded good too.

Thanks - I like the "greasy" description for the swing because it does have that feel.

Below are the three clips I have so far - the swing-type playing and a song we call James Bond in Matanzas. I was playing my left-foot clave rhythm and this keyboardist I play with started playing along. It's a rough first cut and we are going to refine it. Blue Veil is a song on the Hang Drum.

Click here to watch Soirit-set-sample-1

Click here to watch James-Bond-in-Matanzas

Click here to watch Blue-Veil

Last edited:
OK, I think I have figured it out now - just use the paper clip for attachments in the posting tools.

Below are the three clips I have so far - the swing-type playing and a song we call James Bond in Matanzas. I was playing my left-foot clave rhythm and this keyboardist I play with started playing along. It's a rough first cut and we are going to refine it. Blue Veil is a song on the Hang Drum.

View attachment Spirit set greasy swing.MP3

View attachment James Bond in Matanzas-reduced.mp3

View attachment Blue Veil-reduced.mp3

Ill trade you my ludwig stock snare for your whole drumset. It's a great deal, I say take it

OK, I think I have figured it out now - just use the paper clip for attachments in the posting tools.

View attachment 20313

View attachment 20314

View attachment 20315

Interesting musical headspace in your playing. Some New Orleans/Latin flavored / world music going on there?

I enjoyed that.

Another interesting player, in the tradition of Trilok Gurtu who likes mixing up genres. ( Sivamani ). He's got hell of a drum kit too..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW5muQRfRTE&feature=related

Last edited:
Ill trade you my ludwig stock snare for your whole drumset. It's a great deal, I say take it

HAHA! Yeah, I thought about it seroiusly - for a nanosecond. I doubt these drums are even being made anymore. There's about a dozen sets in existence, maybe a few hundred snares and hand drums. Luckily, if my house burned down, the shells would make it through because ironwood is pretty flame resistant.

Back