Show your wood

I always use as big a stave as I can, less glue/ more wood=better.
Most of my stock is 1 inch thick which leaves quite a bit to play with on the lathe.
This Birdseye maple is 7x14 and used only 14 staves.

Same as this mahogany/walnut, and I even had room on this to account for the Walnut being a little narrower than the African mahogany.

Copper hardware just blows my mind. Where do you get it?

Let me show you my Odery Custom Solid Shell 14x6 (Steam Bent) in Araucaria wood :

odery-custom-mono-1133728.jpg

odery-custom-mono-1133729.jpg

odery-custom-mono-1133727.jpg

odery-custom-mono-1133731.jpg

Some ovangkol segmented hoops I'm finishing today. Pictured here drying after their first shellac coat. Two more coats to go with sanding in-between coats, then about 5 applications of hard wax & buff to a nice lustre. Of course, never any stain ;)

Attachments

• hoops beam side.jpg
    hoops beam side.jpg
    897.5 KB · Views: 916
  • hoops shop.jpg
    hoops shop.jpg
    918.4 KB · Views: 912
  • hoops beam centre.jpg
    hoops beam centre.jpg
    891.6 KB · Views: 913
I like the shop photos. Nice on the hoops too :)
Thanks :) Most wouldn't believe the work in those hoops. To the stage pictured, you're looking at 9 full days!!!

As for the finishing shop, I'm putting together some video clips of me running some shells through. Nothing fancy, should have it up within the week if you're interested. We'll only ever show finishing shop activities because many of the processes in the shell shop are proprietary.

Thought this might be of interest. It's the first time we've partnered American black walnut with ovangkol. 20" x 14" bass drum (part of a full set), both shell & hoops part way through construction/finishing. I think the visual works especially well :)

Attachments

• davidhoops on3 1000.jpg
    davidhoops on3 1000.jpg
    922.4 KB · Views: 835
Doen't come cloe to any of the stuff I am seeing on here, but here my cherry Dixon. Dream is still an ash steam bent guru snare ever since LDS with ovangkol hoops. Just perfect to me, but something il never afford. Maybe one day i can afford a pair of hoops for my dixon but thats ages away yet and the closest il get to guru.

10380298_10152434250654266_5673625356331463544_n.jpg

Doen't come cloe to any of the stuff I am seeing on here, but here my cherry Dixon. Dream is still an ash steam bent guru snare ever since LDS with ovangkol hoops. Just perfect to me, but something il never afford. Maybe one day i can afford a pair of hoops for my dixon but thats ages away yet and the closest il get to guru.
Is this drum a 13" 8 hole?

Doesn't get much more "woody" than this :)

Attachments

• walnutorigin1lowres.jpg
    walnutorigin1lowres.jpg
    864.2 KB · Views: 751
  • walnutorigin3lowres.jpg
    walnutorigin3lowres.jpg
    906.9 KB · Views: 736
  • walnutorigin2lowres.jpg
    walnutorigin2lowres.jpg
    875.9 KB · Views: 736
  • walnutoriginkitsnare1lowres.jpg
    walnutoriginkitsnare1lowres.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 728
Oh my Keep it Simple-that is one beautiful drum kit (it's difficult to type with all the drool on the slippery keys but I'll give it a try)-and with the background just artistically beautifully well done. Just add a sound bite so I can hear that scrumptious "woodiness". It really is "Art" and you almost wouldn't want to play but just display them-like the crown jewels. But the stool is called a "throne" so I guess you can play with your jewels. hee,hee,hee.

Doesn't get much more "woody" than this :)

Do your bass drums only come with the ovangkol hoops or do you have other options available?

Also, are you eliminating the steam bent option for kits? You had mentioned in a previous thread that your segmented shells have been your primary focus and you believe it is your best success for sound. Much of the work we have been seeing from you has been segmented and stave shells.

Beautiful work Andy, truly. Looking at that set makes me crave chocolate and caramel. Just yummy!

Beautiful work Andy, truly. Looking at that set makes me crave chocolate and caramel. Just yummy!
Thanks Larry, & yes, it does have that visual. Actually, that's reflected in it's tones too. Very satisfying low fundamental from fairly small drums, but with a power that belies their size. A very specific brief from a very specific customer. We won't be building another one. Frankly, a nightmare to build, but a wonderful result.

you almost wouldn't want to play but just display them-like the crown jewels.
Many often make that observation about our drums, but they're built for the job at hand. These will certainly be gigged hard, as the owner is playing for a number of acts each week.

Do your bass drums only come with the ovangkol hoops or do you have other options available?

Also, are you eliminating the steam bent option for kits? You had mentioned in a previous thread that your segmented shells have been your primary focus and you believe it is your best success for sound. Much of the work we have been seeing from you has been segmented and stave shells.
Our signature hoops are available in ovangkol, English ash, maple, & oak. Ordinarily, on this build, we'd use English ash, but the customer specified ovangkol. For us, it's a tonal fit first, visual fit second.

We do have our steam bent drums on the back burner for now, but not for too long. We encountered a production issue with the In-Tense steam bent shells that will take a while to resolve. In-Tense steam bent shells are much more difficult to make than standard steam bent shells, & the standard ones aren't exactly easy! There's a performance rationale behind the current position too. It was always our intention to take Origin purely segmented once we had the other ranges in place. It suits Origin's design brief perfectly. Additionally, we developed In-Tense segmented shells in parallel to steam bent, & frankly, their performance exceeded our expectations, so we brought them to the fore.

Back