New from England

jackmosleydrums

Hey, I'm a drummer based out of Leeds. I've just turned 21 years old, been playing for around 8 years but seriously for about 6. Had lessons with various teachers and have never had the chance to take drumming more seriously, but hope to do so in the near future (coming to the end of my degree - final year Sports and exercise science).

Drumming bio: In the past I've been in the young drummer of the year top 40 three times in the UK, top 10 in the drummers alliance uk young drummer comptition three times, drumoff.tv worldwide monthly winner (won a recording day at metropolis studios in london - documentary coming out soon), 5th place in the drumstop UK national final. I have had lessons with Dom Famularo, steve white and craig blundell in the past. Also I did my grade 8 in playing and got 92% distinction without doing any other grades first. I have a berklee college of music audition in london in february this year :)

Nice to meet you all :)

- Jack

Welcome Jack! and good luck on your audition, please let us know how it goes

Welcome to the neighbour hood. WE'll have to see some of those skills soon please

and I will keep you posted about the Berklee audition! I'm not expecting much because of the astronomical tuition prices, however I thought it would be a good experience regardless!

see if you can TA or something to help with the cost. My son is doing the same thing out here on the west coast, He just auditioned at The Thornton School of Music (USC) He plays Jazz guitar

Which ones in particular? I'm doing all my mixing and recording through two massive rokit rp10-3 monitor speakers and it sounds ok through them, might not convert well to computer speakers. Try headphones?
Jack, I'm listening through reference phones = superb quality. This recent upload is modulating badly on the bottom end to the point of distorting the whole spectrum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBYS6pUjILE&feature=c4-overview&list=UU2ds8d2dbSxPVDNo4p0YTww

Audio may well be fine on your raw file (.wav, etc), but Youtube compression can't handle wide bandwidth or extreme EQ'd high dynamics. I suggest you listen to the Youtube audio on some of your videos.

TA? I've listened on the youtube videos through headphones, monitor speakers and my macs speakers, I'm not a professional sound engineer, this is recorded out of my bedroom, I'm not sure how I could improve the quality without paying someone to mix it correctly tbh! As long as you can hear and see what I'm doing it shouldn't matter too much :). Covers are just for fun !

Really like your playing but as Andy says, there are some issues with the sound quality. For the record, I'm listening through a pair of AKG K701s - not computer speakers. The issues are starting with the bass drum and room echo. It sounds like the bass drum is activating an auto-limiter, ducking the rest of the mix. Even if this isn't happening, it is masking most of the mix because of the stray frequencies. The best place to start would be to reduce the bass drum volume and EQ it to take some of the 250KHz and sub-bass off using a notch and shelf filter respectively.

The playing's good but the mix needs some work, mate!

Back