Quantum theory drum practise

Chunky

Silver Member
Yes, it's time for a ridiculous thread...

I was wondering, quantum theory how potentially we can change the envirment (past, present, future) with our thought/consciousness has anyone ever tried to think themselves better?

We've all spent a period of time away from the drums only to come back to the kit better than we were before we left. This is probably because we've sat and thought in depth about all of the things we want to do and really worked out troublesome co-ordinations in our heads until we could just do it without ever doing it but, can we 'think' ourselves faster? Break our limits or perceived limits through breaking down the mental barrier?

And is this what some of the greats have done somehow, knowingly or unknowingly?

I very much doubt it, for a variety of reasons, but if somebody could kindly arrange for it to happen, that would be jolly decent.

I'm now playing rapid paradiddles in my head, on the off-chance!

It all happens in your head first. I don't know if theoretical science is really the culprit or of use, but I know for fact that we can always use our heads more, expand them, learn and apply.

I sometimes do meditation type practices before I play a show. Often part of that is visualizing myself playing how I want to play. It's a matter of applying it once you know what you want.

It all happens in your head first. I don't know if theoretical science is really the culprit or of use, but I know for fact that we can always use our heads more, expand them, learn and apply.

I sometimes do meditation type practices before I play a show. Often part of that is visualizing myself playing how I want to play. It's a matter of applying it once you know what you want.

Hmmm.

On second thoughts, the hang-ups in my head get in the way more often than not ...

Hmmm. You really have got me wondering now.

If you're talking about breaking through the physical capabilities of our bodies by merely thinking, then no.

We can definitely do more as musicians, though, if we have positive attitudes, good work ethic, patience, and focus. Plus chunking through passages and beats and doing mental reps does help with the physical playing, especially if you do it away from the kit. It's a good way to maintain focus, and to start practicing long before you actually sit down at the kit.

Yes, it's time for a ridiculous thread...

I was wondering, quantum theory how potentially we can change the envirment (past, present, future) with our thought/consciousness has anyone ever tried to think themselves better?

We've all spent a period of time away from the drums only to come back to the kit better than we were before we left. This is probably because we've sat and thought in depth about all of the things we want to do and really worked out troublesome co-ordinations in our heads until we could just do it without ever doing it but, can we 'think' ourselves faster? Break our limits or perceived limits through breaking down the mental barrier?

And is this what some of the greats have done somehow, knowingly or unknowingly?

In Einsteins theory of Relativity, the faster an object moves through space the slower time becomes for it. In relation to drumming, I would think that the faster you become at something, say single strokes for example, the more aware you are becoming of the individual movements, and more space is perceived between the movements. If more space is perceived, wouldn't that allow for the placing of more strokes in that space, thus creating the ability to play even faster?

Or in simpler English, when you first start playing, really fast singles can be viewed as a sonic blur. The speed seems almost impossible to achieve. But once you obtain said speed, it doesn't seem as fast anymore because you can comprehend the speed and movements that is happening during the singles. This allows for more room between the strokes, providing room for greater speed.

So yeah, why not? As you play faster, time in your head can be seen as slowing down, so sure I think that speed can be found in the head and increased by just thinking. But you also have to be DOING while thinking. I don't think you can just sit there and think yourself faster without actually going through the motions.

If you're talking about breaking through the physical capabilities of our bodies by merely thinking, then no.

We can definitely do more as musicians, though, if we have positive attitudes, good work ethic, patience, and focus. Plus chunking through passages and beats and doing mental reps does help with the physical playing, especially if you do it away from the kit. It's a good way to maintain focus, and to start practicing long before you actually sit down at the kit.

But why not? It is said that we are the ones who are limiting ourselves. We should be able to fly really if we could only learn to truly believe. This stuff is crazy deep, there should be no reason why we can't take things to any level and maybe these guys who seem born with 'natural speed' just always believed that they were that fast.
Physical practise will always come into it but mental limitation has to be just as damaging as no practise at all. Especially when there are meant to be no limits. We made them or thought them, taught them and bred them into ourselves, devolving ourselves.

I find find Dr-Watso's post very interesting as I remember reading an article in a bodybuilding magazine years ago (this was way before I ever got interested in Quantum Physics) and he said on his hour long drive to the gym after work he would mentally go through his routine. He'd actually 'feel' every rep in his head, and imagine the blood pumping into the groups of muscles he was training and said that by the time he got to the gym he already had a pump.

This was really far out for me at the time, I was barely out my teens and thought maybe he'd taken a good idea too far, like a placebo effect? But, it clearly worked for him and he was a top 10 pro. It makes more sense now the more we know about this Quantum stuff.

I've definitely improved on the drums while being away, even the mechanics of my technique without ever practising said mechanic.
One thing that has not ever improved with thought alone is endurance.

But why not?

There HAS to be a way. Train my blood cells to carry more oxygen by increasing receptors on them through thought.
But how?

As you can tell this is driving me mad as it should all be possible and I keep telling myself I believe yet, I can't make it happen!

Maybe someone should do a running documentary on it?
Seens as I'm out of action right now I'd probably be a good bet. If I wasn't so lazy...

MrInsanePolackm - Does Einsteins theory of relitivety not clash with Quantum Physics?

How these guys think is unbelievable. Imagine their nightmares?

Good topic, Chunks. Quantum - the inevitable resting place for all the spooky things in life we don't understand :)

Mind over matter ...the placebo effect ... amazing physical and mental feats performed through hypnotism ... tribal people handling all sorts of trials when in trances. We are part of it - drums, rhythm, trance, dance, reverie and intoxication, uplift, transcendence. Unless you play lounge music (just kidding).

Hal Galper on the topic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_7DgCrziI8 ... I don't claim to have great ears but I just thought she just played it louder the second time around after she did the exercise.

Chunky, that's a great post! Yes, I think there has to be a way but maybe not the way you're thinking.

Endurance (like weight gain, alas) is a matter of energy stored vs energy used. The place to work on this is energy conservation ... efficient, easy movement and calm mind (our brains use 20% of our body's energy). I think that's how the Zen masters would approach it - but I'm sure they'd do physical exercise too.

I'm speaking theoretically here, of course. I'm flat out playing simple stuff.

Sounds more plausible Polly. And I suppose all the greats are masters at energy preservation. Maximun results minimum effort.
While I'm not saying that all great players are into quantum physics it doesn't mean they can't be tapping into it without really knowing it.

All those books on how to live better and happier lives by those sickeningly positive, happy people may actually be based on something more than just BS afterall!

While, it may be a stretch to really 'bend' the physical output of out body I'm pretty sure I've been guilty of holding mine back at times with negative thoughts.
We probably all have at some point.
It can be so hard to break the habbit too, constantly reminding myself to not think a certain way whenever it pops in my head and trying to correct my thought process to the point I actually correct it and don't HAVE to think about thinking positively, I just do it and maybe I will get a lot more out of the time I spend behind the kit either mentally or physically?

Or maybe I could test endurance levels with normal water vs positively charged water? It would be interesting to see if it improved endurance creativity and mood while playing.

I'm curious.

I think I need to practise the spiritual (or atomic) aspect of my drumming.

I find find Dr-Watso's post very interesting as I remember reading an article in a bodybuilding magazine years ago (this was way before I ever got interested in Quantum Physics) and he said on his hour long drive to the gym after work he would mentally go through his routine. He'd actually 'feel' every rep in his head, and imagine the blood pumping into the groups of muscles he was training and said that by the time he got to the gym he already had a pump.

That is interesting. Thinking about it though... Doesn't your body start getting ready if you think about a delicious sandwich? Blood starts going to your stomach, saliva production increases, stomach acidity changes to prepare for digestion... Without even thinking about it, your mind controls aspects of your body that you don't consciously tend. These are all microscopic pathways in our neural tissues. Every time a pathway gets used, the bond between the two neurons grows stronger and it gets easier to do whatever the action or thought-process might be.

My mother for a time was really big into Tai Chi, it's a blended physical and mental discipline I believe from China. Anyway, I went to a few classes when I was young and remember being a bit weird-ed out by some of the stuff. For instance. One exercise was essentially the whole class focusing every ounce of focus and energy we had on one specific wall. In our minds and as much as possible, extended to our bodies, we were trying to push down the wall without touching it. We would do this in silence, each one of us believing in our powers and the possibility it could happen; and although nobody ever pushed down the wall without touching it, something weird would happen. Sweat would appear on brows, people would turn red, real strain was obvious. Our brains were so focused on the task that our bodies believed it.

When I spend time in my head, I personally feel that my body reaps benefits. What this means on any type of cosmic scale, or how we perceive the world, I couldn't say. If the smallest units of matter on our world can be in not just two places at once, but literally infinite states, what does that say for us? Reality is just the current combination of these sub-atomic messes?

Chunky - Yes it is true that the Theory of Relativity and Quantum Theory are at odds, so to speak, in so far as how the scientific community views them. They have not been able to come up with a unified theory, which combines both Relativity and Quantum Theory. Gravity is the problem.

As drummers though, we understand our use of gravity. Being that Relativity deals with time and speed relative to the observer (or drummer), and if one can successfully train their body to perform a certain way Quantumly, like Watso suggested (excellent example with the sandwich), then perhaps Relativity and Quantum Theory can coexist peacefully in our usage of the two. A Unified Theory of Drum Mechanics, so to speak.

Now if the Holographic Principle is true, we are all screwed, as we are all just products of projected information, and what we view as everyday life is just 2D information perceived as 3D reality. I don't believe it allows room for information manipulation, we just do what the information tells us to do. However, I believe that this idea can be refuted the same way as the Brain in a Vat philosophical idea.

My whole life is a series of mental barriers. Through force of will, great things can be achieved. I'm basically satisfied with normal things being achieved. A great single stroke roll is hard enought to accomplish. Great things take a great amount of energy. It's all about how much energy you want to expend.

Instead of working my hands, I should practice "Great thoughts for a lifetime?"

Reality is just the current combination of these sub-atomic messes?

Yes... I like the thought of reality as being the most plausible state for every particle at a given moment. Then you have to define an observer, because my "reality" certainly isn't the same as your "reality". It may be similar however. ;) And infinity = infinitesimal, and the whole existence spirals inwards and outwards into and out of itself and everything is just a big blurr of vibrating energy. It's a nice concept since humans can actually experience this sort of state with heroic doses of psychedelics.

Sounds more plausible Polly. And I suppose all the greats are masters at energy preservation. Maximun results minimum effort.
While I'm not saying that all great players are into quantum physics it doesn't mean they can't be tapping into it without really knowing it.

All those books on how to live better and happier lives by those sickeningly positive, happy people may actually be based on something more than just BS afterall!

While, it may be a stretch to really 'bend' the physical output of out body I'm pretty sure I've been guilty of holding mine back at times with negative thoughts.
We probably all have at some point.
It can be so hard to break the habbit too, constantly reminding myself to not think a certain way whenever it pops in my head and trying to correct my thought process to the point I actually correct it and don't HAVE to think about thinking positively, I just do it and maybe I will get a lot more out of the time I spend behind the kit either mentally or physically?

Or maybe I could test endurance levels with normal water vs positively charged water? It would be interesting to see if it improved endurance creativity and mood while playing.

I'm curious.

I think I need to practise the spiritual (or atomic) aspect of my drumming.

You have to watch out when people start talking to you about quantum physics! Lots of new age guru types will try to weave it into their gibberish. Quantum physics is weird as Hell, but it doesn't have anything to do with consciousness, spirituality, mind over matter, or your thoughts/desires (but it is still fascinating!!!).

That being said, I feel like there are a lot of things you can do to improve your drumming just by thinking about them. Like, a lot of times I'll play rhythms in my head or kind of flex my limbs, pretending like I'm playing in ways that challenge my independence, and I feel like it does help.

Personally, I don't think you can become a better player through sheer willpower alone, but maybe if you can convince yourself that it's working, it will... the placebo effect is a powerful thing :)

Perhaps what we are looking for is more of a psychosomatic response, except instead of thinking under stress and the body responding with illness, it is positive and the body responds accordingly. Technically speaking, Vitriolite is correct. Quantum Theory deals with sub-atomic particles and how they react with one another, and how it is applied to and intertwined with the properties of the universe.

I do like the idea of this thread though, and would love to know if anyone has anymore insight to this whole mind-body connection.

You have to watch out when people start talking to you about quantum physics! Lots of new age guru types will try to weave it into their gibberish. Quantum physics is weird as Hell, but it doesn't have anything to do with consciousness, spirituality, mind over matter, or your thoughts/desires (but it is still fascinating!!!).

Yes. Quantum, as with the Big G, are big black boxes that we put stuff that's not yet understood. Still, quantum effects might also be the biggest driver behind "consciousness, spirituality, mind over matter, or your thoughts/desires" for all we know. Or quantum may have nothing to do with it. We don't know and may well never know. An enormous amount of reality will probably never be accessible to science, ie. the subjective experience of every life form that ever existed.

Still, we can achieve all sorts of things while being largely clueless, just through instinct and a natural flow.

Mind over matter works - conducting double blind trials to avoid placebo effects is a routine research method. The mind is powerful and it helps to shape our reality. So there's something interesting going on with the mind/body connection that we don't know about, but I agree that attributing it to quantum is a big claim. And big claims require big evidence.

Powerful as the mind is, like crystals and organics etc, the effects of mind over matter tend to be subtle. As a musician, basic commonsense things like discipline, regular practice, listening and availability of help and resources are more important than esoteric mental practice.

Having said that, the great thing about rock'n'roll is that passion, energy and clarity of vision can make up for any amount of slackness, musical naivety or silliness. Keith Moon. White Stripes. The Stones. Sex Pistols. Lars etc.

For example, last night I watched a White Stripes live show on YT and I couldn't work out why the music sounded so good. You have a garage guitar sound, a yelping screechy voice and drums played with no flair at all. On the surface it's terrible music - harsh sounds played sloppily.

Yet I love it! Jack is fearless, passionate and has a clear vision of what he wants. It helps that Meg's playing is completely subservient to his musical vision (like a drumming version of an Islamic woman - not even allowed to practice or get a musical education!). Somehow when this unlikely mix is applies to catchy punky, riffy and bluesy songs it becomes something that appeals to millions of people.

People love fearless performers. Fearlessness = honesty and clarity. That's the biggest head trip - to conquer your fears. Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to retreat back to my safe little burrow ...

Great replies and views people!

Dr-Watso you couldn't have put it better about the sandwich as when I read it I started salivating and my stomach started rumbling!

Maybe this stuff could be the link that we all think is either spiritual or just lucky, when we find a certain musician where we feed of each other and seem to know what each other are both going to do without ever saying it.

Wouldn't that be great if we could learn to do this with anyone?

It's a not hugely likely since there are monks and allsorts of Zen-lie people who dedicate their lives to this stuff and takes a long time for them to sometimes get next to nowhere...

When I first read up Quantum Theory I thought it was all particle and science-y stuff it's more recently that I've heard more about this consciousness, affecting things with our thougts idea. Sounds Plausable.

Like when they recorded a certain amount of clicks in the left speaker and an equal amount in the right, they had no witness to it and told the first person who would listen to it to 'will' for more left clicks.
And sure enough, more left clicks were on the recording. As it was never recorded until he listened to it.

Some strange people can slow their heart etc, maybe we could channel blood-flow to areas we feel may cramp up soon?

These are all ideas but, if anyone has any idea how to practically go about it other than just think it I'd be very interested to hear your ideas.

I just think some things we were maybe not designed to ever 'get', there has to be some concepts and rules in the universe that are above us as a species that we could never comprehend. Trying to comprehend that is hard enough! We think we can understand anything.

Too much thinky time...

MrInsanePolack - I've been holding off from the holographic theory for a while but been looking forward to reading up about it. Heard a few things already that sounded insane to me! But hey, anything Is possible.

Back