My new Mapex BP Black Widow kit

Thanks for the comments! I have also ordered a Mapex Saturn IV in Cherry Mist Rosewood Burl shellpack (22x18", 10x8", 12x9", 16x16"), as I have just sold my Pearl Vision kit. Will be nice to have that option as well, I really love the finish and Saturns sounds really good. I have two bands at different places, and I also like to have one drumset stacked at home in bags, ready to gig. So that's why it's perfect for me with 3 kits :). Also got a 14x6,5" Mapex MPX Hand Hammered Steel snare, seems very nice for a cheap snare. Good cracking sound!

Attachments

• Mapex-Saturn-4pc-fade-1-750x750.jpg
    Mapex-Saturn-4pc-fade-1-750x750.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 5,122
Congrats on the new kit. You might be tempted to order a 14. Will be interesting to hear how they differ.

hi i would like to know if there is too much difference in sound between the Mapex black widow kit and the mapex saturn IV
thanks

I would say yes, there's definately a difference. Allthough it depends a bit with different drumheads/tunings. I sold this kit november last year though, needed money fast, and I just happened to prefer the Saturns for the style of music I play (heavy). The Black Widow kit is very responsive, sounds nice and are a good allround kit, I would say. But a bit more on the "thinny" side, at least the toms It has shorter rack toms, some might prefer that. I must say I prefer the "standard" tom depths myself, just sounds fuller to me. The Saturn also sounds deeper, more low-end (the walnut helps a lot with this), more powerful in my opinion. Both are very nice kits though, I just happen to prefer the slightly more low-end tone of the Saturns.

Thanks for your answer i'm trying to decide btween this kit and a saturn IV, i play mostly rock so i believe the saturn is better for me, because all you say. thanks a lot

Glad I could help out, allthough it's always a plus to try out the kits yourself, if possible :). I would definately recommend the Saturn kits though, it sounds incredible, the new finishes looks really nice, and you can afford a bigger kit for the same amount of money as a Black Widow kit :). For rock and heavier styles of music, I would go with a Saturn out of those two options.

Nice kits for sure! I have really been digging what Mapex has been doing lately with their gear! I pulled the trigger on an Saturn lV. last friday! Stoked!

Last edited:
Mapex rocks! I am planning to buy a Mapex kit by the end of the year, the best one I can get with the money I accumulate. Peace and goodwill.

Back