New Gear and Selling Cymbals

Eleven

I bought a 6 piece OCDP kit used, which I was iffy about to begin with but it was a painted (rather than a wrapped) kit. Sounded good, no issues with hardware bearing edges, etc.

I paid 800 for the whole thing, and included an HHX Splash, AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride, 17" Z Custom Crash, 18" ZHT Crash, and 13" ZBT Hats.

Do you think it was a fair deal?

Anyway, that's why I was more interested in it, was the cymbals. Only thing I don't like is the hats, but it works for now. I'd also be more interested in having the second crash, more trashy like a china, but more versatile so it's compatible as a crash as well.

I found an ad for a mix of cymbals, but one is an 18" HHX O-zone, which I love the sound of. I might be able to pick it up separately, for $150.

If I can, I'm going to sell 1 of the 2 crashes I have to put forward to buy it. Which of the 2 crashes can I sell for more? And how much can I sell either for?

Re: New kit and selling cymbals.

Is it an older "Custom" OCDP? The newer models are all made overseas I believe, but the older USA models can get pretty expensive

the Z. custom crash is worth more than the ZHT.
I would sell off the ZBT hats and ZHT crashe first and replace those first of any of those cymbals. A good set of hats is a great investment.

the Z. custom crash is worth more than the ZHT.
I would sell off the ZBT hats and ZHT crashe first and replace those first of any of those cymbals. A good set of hats is a great investment.

I agree with this, but I say keep the Z Custom crash even if you're not in love with it. Z Custom's aren't made anymore, so to me that's something to hold onto because eventually they'll disappear but you'll still have one. They don't even sell for that much last I checked.

The ZBT and ZHT cymbals should go.

ZBTs and ZHTs are entry-level cymbals, so I'd get rid of those. The Z Custom, HHX, and AAX are all quite nice- probably worth about $500 new, so you effectively got the drums for $300. Pretty good deal! I'd DEFINITELY go check out the o-zone and see what other stuff that person has. If you don't like the HHX O-zone, check out the Zildjian K EFX, Meinl Byzance Vintage Trash Crash, or maybe the AAX Aero Crash- they are all quite good variations on the "crash with holes in" theme.

In terms of offloading them- if you like the ZHT more, keep it, but I'd bet you don't. Anyways, the ZHT will not sell for that much- definitely less than $50, probably around half that- and the Z customs (as mentioned) don't sell for too much but you could probably get upwards of $50-100 for it, IMO. Check Craigslist and eBay for similar items and see how much they're selling for, that'll give you a good idea.

Is it an older "Custom" OCDP? The newer models are all made overseas I believe, but the older USA models can get pretty expensive

I'm unsure of its age, or if it's "custom" or not. It is painted though. I'll post some pictures of the kit later.

I agree with this, but I say keep the Z Custom crash even if you're not in love with it. Z Custom's aren't made anymore, so to me that's something to hold onto because eventually they'll disappear but you'll still have one. They don't even sell for that much last I checked.

The ZBT and ZHT cymbals should go.

I figure the Z Custom should stay, since I believe that it is a professional grade cymbal, just not in production. The ZHT isn't too bad, I like the brightness of it but I will agree that they need to go; ZBT's first...

Just due to lack of cash I can't really replace the hats with a pair I like. I like K Custom Hybrids, Meinl Soundcaster Fusions, and AAX-celerators.

As for the drums, sizes go from, Bass: 22x20", Rack toms: 10 x 8", 12 x 9", Floor toms: 14x12, 16x14, and 14 x 6 1/2 snare.
I also doubt they're the "custom" made ones due to the fact that the badge does say Avalon series. They shells are made of Maple. I don't entirely like the orange, but I'm sure if I grew tired of it enough, I could repaint it to a better color to match the flat black.

Original image from the seller:
c7bba2fb_l.jpeg

Images I took, which at the moment are in a storage unit. (Thanks to the owners of Storage One for letting me set up and play in a unit!) They are currently set up differently, in these pictures it's a 1 up, 2 down set up but going from 12, 16, 14 because I didn't replace the head of the 14 yet (see wrong sized head thread I made), and hated the sound.

f0c47746_l.jpeg

33757c36_l.jpeg

I do have a second snare that I'll take a picture of later, it's a 14x6.5" segmented Cherry snare, made by Greiner-Kilmer. I love the look, and sound of it but I think I may have overlooked the price when I bought it ($610).

Back