INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

Better late than not at all.

Real name? Angus
Age? 61
How long have you been playing? 9 years then took a short 40 year break now about 90 days.
Origin of user name? Birth Certificate
Your top 5 drummers? John Bonham, Ringo Starr, Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Gavin Harrison.
Make of drumkit? Pearl
Make of cymbal? Zildjian, Sabian
Where do you practice? Home
Are you in a band? no
Do you play covers or originals? covers for now
What style of music? vintage rock
Favourite take out food? Taco Bell
What country do you live in? USA
One really odd fact about yourself? Depends on your idea of odd. That I am here at my age should be odd enough.
How did you start drumming? 7th Grade band class.

Real name?Gustavo

Age? 27

How long have you been playing? I have been playing for 5 years now and have been extremely inspired to play and just get better as of late.

Origin of user name? Well....long story short I am mexican lol and well I think the username says the rest :p

Your top 5 drummers? OMG I can't pick just 5! Well the original guys that inspired me to pick up drumming I would have to say are:

Mike Portnoy, The Rev, Gavin Harrison, Todd Sucherman, Akira Jimbo

Make of drumkit? I purchase a Tama Silverstar drumkit with Chameleon Sparkle finish.

Make of cymbal? I am more of a Sabian guy but I don't care as long as the cymbal sounds good (to my ear at least) I also have a meinl cymbal (digging their stuff lately)

Where do you practice? My bedroom

Are you in a band? I was for a little bit but I realized that I need to improve drastically so I started taking lessons again

Do you play covers or originals? Both I love playing originals more then covers but cover songs have helped me grow soooo much.

What style of music? I love all styles I go through stages but I definitely love metal, jazz, latin, older pop tunes, punk, and I have been really interested in the fusion stuff lately as well.

Favourite take out food? I eat pretty healthy actually and I try to avoid take out.

What country do you live in? America

One really odd fact about yourself? I am like an old man stuck in a young mans body lol j/k nothing really I'm pretty boring actually.

How did you start drumming

I always wanted to when I was younger but my family at the time never had the means to get me a drum set once I got a little older and got a job I took up drums. I was really inspired to by the Dream Theater documentary that came with the special edition of Systematic Chaos, watching Mike Portnoy beat the crap out of his drums really inspired me.

Last edited:
Real name? Casey
Age? 21
How long have you been playing? 10 Years
Origin of user name? Casey Garrett Kreger
Your top 7 drummers? Buddy Rich, Benny Grebb, Mike Johnston, Roy Hanes, Rodney Holmes Dave Wekl, Steve Gadd....The list is ever expanding
Make of drumkit? Sonor Force 2005
Make of cymbal? Meinl Byzance
Where do you practice? Home
Are you in a band? not currently
Do you play covers or originals? Everything
What style of music? I'll give anything a shot
Favourite take out food? Chinese
One really odd fact about yourself? Where to start...
How did you start drumming? Pots and pans baby!

Hi everyone!

Real name? Carles
Age? 40
How long have you been playing? Since I was 14 years-old
Origin of user name? It's the translation of my real Spanish Last name
Your top 5 drummers? Neil Peart, Gavin Harrison, Danny Carey, Nicko McBrain, Carter Beauford
Make of drumkit? Pacific Drums & Percussion
Make of cymbal? Zidjian
Where do you practice? I hired a rehearsal room for some years
Are you in a band? Not now
Do you play covers or originals? Both
What style of music? Mainly prog-Metal, but I've played all kinds of styles
Favourite take out food? Pizza
What country do you live in? Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
One really odd fact about yourself? I think too much
How did you start drumming? It's really a weird story. It's 1.983, and I am 11. As a kid in a country where Rock was out of the media at the time, I am afraid of Heavy Metal. You know, it's loud and evil. That morning I went to school and saw some Heavy Metal fans looking really sad. I was afraid of them, but I knew one. I asked him what was going on. He told me the terrible news: this famous band, Iron Maiden, were in an airplane that crashed. Every member of the band was dead except the drummer, but the doctors were going to cut one of his arms off. I was pretty shocked. Even these "evil" people deserved a good life.
Now it's that day's afternoon. I've come home and I am eating a sandwich and watching the TV. In the Spanish public TV of those years was very rare to see anything close to Rock, so that made impossible to see anything harder than that. But there had to be some Metalhead working there that day, I don't know how he could do that. I am eating my sandwhich and suddenly, before the starting of some boring TV show, there you have it: the videoclip of "The trooper". At first, it is really weird and agressive to me. But since the news from this morning I just think: "Well, let's watch this, just for showing some respect. It's just a song". And 30 seconds later, something makes a "click" inside my brain. "I like this song! It's amazing!"

"The trooper" is less than 4 minutes long. In less than that, two things happened that day: a new Metalhead was born and that boy decided he wanted to be a drummer. "Man, that drumkit is huge! That drummer is really cool with those rolls!" Next morning, that stupid rumour was over. And my hair grew long and remained long for more than twenty years. I always thought I owe something to Nicko McBrain.

If anyone is interested, I have started a Drums & Percussion blog: http://www.putrumputrum.com/en

Last edited:
Real name? Simon
Age? 18
How long have you been playing? 4 years
Your top 5 drummers? Matt Halpern, Benny Greb, Gavin Harrison, Amano Tatsuya (love his showmanship more than his technicality), Blake Richardson.
Make of drumkit? Sonor Force 3007
Make of cymbal? 8" Stagg Splash,
14" Sabian xs20 Hats
18" Zildjian A Custom Crash
15" AAX-xtreme China
19" Saluda Mist-X Crash
20" Sabian xs20 Ride
19" Saluda Voodoo China
Where do you practice? My house, Bandroom.
Are you in a band? Yes. https://www.facebook.com/neomarica
Do you play covers or originals? Originals :)
What style of music? Metal.
Favourite take out food? Chipotle
What country do you live in? Canada
How did you start drumming? Watching my church drummer.

Real name? Jordy Fleming
Age? 20
How long have you been playing? Around 8 years
Origin of user name? I am going to grad school at UND soon, figured I'd show pride
Your top 5 drummers? DANNY CAREY, Carter Beauford, Vinnie Colaiuta, James Sullivan "Rev", Phil Collins
Make of drumkit? Gretsch
Make of cymbal? Zildjians and Paistes
Where do you practice? In my room, at home
Are you in a band? nay
Do you play covers or originals? my own stuffs
What style of music? I pride myself on being well round. Punk to jazz.
Favourite take out food? Give me a cheeseburger
One really odd fact about yourself? I have kept every broken stick since I started playing
How did you start drumming? Air drums were more fun when I was little. Once I got sticks, it became a journey

Real name? Edgar
Age? 20
How long have you been playing? Around 4 years
Origin of user name? It just popped into my head
Your top 5 drummers? Buddy Rich, Steve Gadd, Steve Jordan, Jose Pasillas, John Bonham
Make of drumkit? Pearl
Make of cymbal? Paiste
Where do you practice? In my room, at church
Are you in a band? If church band counts, then yes
Do you play covers or originals? I play covers at home, at church I guess I do play my own
What style of music? I like jazz, post-grunge, garage, and at little bit of hiphop
Favourite take out food? french fries
What country do you live in? Philippines
One really odd fact about yourself? I would not be able to sleep without my hotdog pillow
How did you start drumming? I got my inspiration from our former drummer at church.

Real Name - Chris (I know, I know....so unique!)

Age - 31

How long have I been playing - Played mostly snare for 8 yrs in school, followed by about 10 years of noodling around with the acoustic guitar and electric bass, and a sit behind a kit every-so-often. Picked the sticks back up and bought a used kit three years ago, and have been happily drumming ever since.

Origin of user name - My Dad is a drummer, and he had this Buddy Rich tape called "Stick It"....I'll remember that tape for the rest of my life.

My eclectic top 5 - Joe Morello, Chad Smith, John Bonham, Steve Jordan, and Stanton Moore

Make of kit - Tama Swingstar circa '92

Cymbals - Zildjian

Practice Space - Garage-like add-on

My bands - Cowboy Church band, Nameless 3 (sometimes 4) piece "classic" rock group...if we don't intend to gig, we're still a "Band", right?

Covers or Originals - Little of both

Style - Blues to rock to country and swing....a little modern rock in the practice room

Favorite Take-out - Chinese

Country - USA

Odd fact - hmmm, which to share....I haven't had cable or satellite tv in five years, and I don't miss it.

My start - My family is full of musicians...a lot of inspiration from which to draw, on several instruments, but Dad played drums, so I wanted to too.

Real name? Lawrence
Age? 47
How long have you been playing? Off and on for 30 years
Your top 5 drummers? Peart, McBrain, Weckl, Phillips, lots of ties for 5th..
Make of drumkit? Pearl Vision birch
Make of cymbal? Zildjian for now..came with the kit. Paiste ideally.
Where do you practice? My house.
Are you in a band? Nope..still developing my skills and all that.
Do you play covers or originals? GOOD covers. No country.
What style of music? Metal, Rock, Punk, Classic Rock, some Pop
Favourite take out food? Mexican
What country do you live in? U.S.A.
How did you start drumming? My older brother brought home a kit and we started jamming.

Howdy!

Real name? Jon
Age? 38
How long have you been playing? about 3 months
Origin of user name? don't remember, I've been using it for many years!
Your top 5 drummers? Chad Smith, Lars Ulrich, Neil Peart, ......
Make of drumkit? currently a Ddrum D2 kit, but just ordered a Tama Silverstar.
Make of cymbal? Sabian, slowly upgrading from B8's to AA's
Where do you practice? In my house, bedroom studio
Are you in a band? kinda. Just some friends that play in my house
Do you play covers or originals? both
What style of music? rock, classic rock, trying some jazz
Favourite take out food? chinese
What country do you live in? US of A!
How did you start drumming? I'm a guitar player, and I like recording, so I wanted to try drums as well. I traded a guitar for my current set and fell in love with drumming. So with my recent tax return, I decided to buy a better set.

Hello Drummerworld!

Real name? Clay
Age? 16
How long have you been playing? Since I was little(er)!
Origin of user name? My real name!
Your top 5 drummers? Jon Bonham, Alex Van Halen, Tommy Aldridge, Tommy Lee, and my big brother Cole Ebertowski!
Make of drumkit? Pearl Exports but will be getting a new kit soon!
Make of cymbal? Paiste/Zildjian
Where do you practice? My basement
Are you in a band? Yes
Do you play covers or originals? Mostly originals
What style of music? Groovy RockNRoll
Favourite take out food? Hmmm... Indian food!
What country do you live in? The US!
One really odd fact about yourself? I hate styrofoam!
How did you start drumming? Grew up in a very musical family!!

Hello everyone!!

Real name? Pablo (Paul in inglish)
Age? 27
How long have you been playing? Mmm... Since I was 15
Origin of user name? My new drum
Your top 5 drummers? Carter Beauford, Jon Bonham, Roger Taylor, Vinnie Colaiuta, Trilok Gurtu
Make of drumkit? Sonor Select Force Studio natural maple
Make of cymbal? All Zildjian
Where do you practice? Now, on my practice pad.... i have to get a practice drum because i live in a flat, and can't play my drum... :(
Are you in a band? Yes
Do you play covers or originals? Mostly covers
What style of music? Rock, funk, soul
Favourite take out food? Hmmm... pizza and empanadas!!
What country do you live in? Argentina!! Long way to the south....
One really odd fact about yourself? My second finger of the foot is bigger than my 1st... is that odd??!
How did you start drumming? I love music, and i chose drums because i friend of mine had one and i was interested!!

Hey people

Real name? Zak
Age? 19
How long have you been playing? 4 years
Origin of user name? Had some ProMark sticks and a friend said that Mark wasn't pro and that it should say ProZak (also an anti-depressant)
Your top 5 drummers? Danny Carey, Mike Portnoy, Jojo Mayer, John Bonham, can't think of a 5th, too many influences.
Make of drumkit? Roland td-11k, also have a 14x6.5 mapex black panther snare
Make of cymbal? None at this point
Where do you practice? Garage
Are you in a band? Used to be, not at the moment
Do you play covers or originals? Both, whatever is needed at the time
What style of music? Rock, pop, metal, worship(not sure if a genre?)
Favourite take out food? Pizza
What country do you live in? New Zealand!
One really odd fact about yourself? I live in New Zealand haha
How did you start drumming? A friend played and I thought it looked cool, now I love it so much it's almost a problem haha

Real name? Dave
Age? 29
How long have you been playing? 21 years
Origin of user name? It's been my AIM screenname since high school (so forever)
Your top 5 drummers? Dave DiCenso, Mike Portnoy, John Bohnam, The Rev, Adrian Young
Make of drumkit? Gretsch Catalina Ash & Roland TD-4K
Make of cymbal? Zildjian A, Wuhan chinas
Where do you practice? In my office on my electric kit
Are you in a band? Yep, two! Agony Hill and Stealing Monday
What style of music? Agony Hill is rock/pop/metal, and Stealing Monday is rock and country
Favourite take out food? Sushi
One really odd fact about yourself? I hate the sound of beer being poured into a glass on radio commercials
How did you start drumming? I saw Roger Taylor playing on TV at the Freddie Mercury Memorial Concert and it changed my life. I wanted to be him!

Real name? Robbert
Age? 28
How long have you been playing? About 13 years
Origin of user name? First letters of my full name
Your top 5 drummers? Tomas Haake, Dan Carle, Mario Duplantier, Gavin Harrison, Alex Rudinger
Make of drumkit? Tama and Ludwig
Make of cymbal? Zildjian and Meinl
Where do you practice? At home and at our studio
Are you in a band? Yup! www.manasplague.com
Do you play covers or originals? All originals
What style of music? Progressive hardcore/metalcore
Favourite take out food? Hm, hard one, but i'd go with a good hamburger :p
What country do you live in? Netherlands
One really odd fact about yourself? Might be easier to name the normal things xD!
How did you start drumming? Always wanted to since i was about 5 years old, then it went away for a while and when i was 15 i got reintroduced to it =)

Real name? Mark
Age? 48
How long have you been playing? Just starting again after :mumble-mumble: 25+years
Origin of user name? My middle name and I'm always diddling around on my drums
Your top 5 drummers? John Bonham, Neil Peart, Stewart Copeland,Chad Smith, Bernard Purdie
Make of drumkit? Tama
Make of cymbal? Zildjian and Sabian
Where do you practice? At home
Are you in a band? Not right now.
Do you play covers or originals? Covers
What style of music? Hard Rock,Rock, Classic Rock, Jazz, Country
Favourite take out food? Not a big fan of it. I cook a lot.
One really odd fact about yourself? I'm just an odd person. Period.
How did you start drumming? Saw Led Zep back in 1975, saw Bonham playing and knew that's what I wanted to do.

Real name? Sage Duvall
Age? 20
How long have you been playing? 4 years.
Origin of user name? My parents? haha It's my birth name.
Your top 5 drummers? Buddy Rich, Gavin Harrison, Barrymore Barlow, Matt Helders, Bill Bruford.
Make of drumkit? Tama
Make of cymbal? Zildjian, Sabian, and Paiste (mismatched...I'm poor)
Where do you practice? At home, band practice.
Are you in a band? Yes.
What style of music? Progressive Rock, and other rock genres.
Favourite take out food? Not a big fan of it.
One really odd fact about yourself? I had Depersonalization Disorder, but overcame it.
How did you start drumming? My dad sold his drumset when I was 6, and I was devastated. So I beat on everything around the house until he bought me one at 16 to make up for it. I've played every day since then.

Real name? Hywel Davies
Age? 21
How long have you been playing? About 8/9years.
Origin of user name? It came from another site, instead of letting me choose a name it made me enter my first name (Hywel) and the name of the football team I support (Kidderminster Harriers) and it came up with a few suggestions including hywelkidd which ended up sticking.
Your top 5 drummers? Eric Singer, Buddy Rich, Danny Carey, Ian Paice, John Bonham
Make of drumkit? Pearl
Make of cymbal? Paiste
Where do you practice? Used to practice at my parents house (when I lived there), but now only get to at band rehearsals.
Are you in a band? Yes. Jet Black Cadillac.
What style of music? Indiebilly (sort of a cross between indie and rockabilly)
Favourite take out food? Indian or fried chicken
One really odd fact about yourself? I'm very shy and quiet until you put me behind a kit. Then I become the most confident person you'll ever see lol.

Hi All!

I am in the process of returning to the acoustic drum fold after several years in the electronic drumming camp and a long absence from any drumming for 30+ years before that!

I started banging on things at home at an early age and my parents gave me a Ludwig Acrolite for Christmas in 1967 (I still have that drum). I proceeded to build a set one piece at a time as I could afford additions. The resulting mongrel set served me well through several bands until I realized that there were a lot more talented drummers than me not making a living playing so I went back to school and essentially gave up playing as I pursued my career, marriage, life, etc.

Several years back I got the itch to play and bought a set of Roland e-drums. I really enjoy playing these in my basement at any time of the day without bothering anyone and actually now am a better player than I ever was due to the increased practice time.
However, I went to a music camp last summer and confirmed my suspicions that e-drums are easier to play than acoustics and I felt my newly honed chops did not apply. Then again being in close proximity to the likes of Pat Mastelotto and Tobias Ralph will give most mortal drummers an inferiority complex!

I’ve spent time since last fall looking and listening to options. I finally made the move and have purchased a Sonor Newport Beech set along with the Sonor Protean 12 x 5 snare. One might ask if this is too much set for a returning “newbie” and my answer is maybe now but not later. My process is to do painstaking research before buying anything major then never regretting my decision. That way I don’t waste a lot of money and time to get to where I eventually want to be.

So there you have it. I’m sure I’ll have questions as I complete (cymbals next) my set and re-embark on the journey.

Real name? – Steve Albers
Age? - 58
How long have you been playing? – On, mostly off for 46 years
Origin of user name? Actually the “name” of our Cayman S
Your top 5 drummers? Bill Bruford, Gavin Harrison, Pat Mastelotto, Tobias Ralph, Chad Wackerman
Make of drumkit? - Acoustic: Sonor Newport Beech, Electronic: Roland TD-9
Make of cymbal? – Acoustic: Still deciding, Electronic; Roland, Zildjian Gen 16
Where do you practice? – In my basement
Are you in a band? – Not currently
Do you play covers or originals? - No originals yet…
What style of music? - Prog mostly
Favourite take out food? - Pizza
What country do you live in? - USA
One really odd fact about yourself? - I’m an engineer: is that odd enough?
How did you start drumming? - Inspired by all the great rock in the late ‘60s

Croc

Back