Ironwood drum set

Nice looking kit.... another great Australian made kit :) How would they compare to Brady I wonder? Anyone know?

I thought about Spirit drums before I got my DW deal a few years ago, but someone was telling me the shells are very heavy to lift.

HAHA! about the Australian kit. People don't know what to make of it and it sounds even more exotic coming from Australia.

I justed wanted to say I checked out your site and it's really inspiring. What a neat career you have made for yourself! I have known people with cerebral palsy and I could never have thought someone could play an instrument with such an obstacle. I guess anything is possible if someone is determined enough.

Behind a drum set, we all look the same.

These are awesome drums. I have had this theory for a while about making drum but never had the tools for the execution.

These are awesome drums. I have had this theory for a while about making drum but never had the tools for the execution.

Thanks. While this is an unusual way to make drums nowadays, the solid shell is actually the most ancient way of making a drum. Modern machinery makes it easier, but it's still difficult. You'd have to get entire whole logs, cut them and have special lathing machinery to finish them off. There are a few companies doing it.

Even non-drummers can tell these drums are unusual. They have a primitive, wild look about them and a primitive, wild sound. Even the badges are branded on.

I have radically restructured the set. I have been looking to shake up the set, as I think it's good to do that every few years at least. I have always liked the look of flat drums and low cymbals. This way of playing is taking some adjustment, but it not inherently any harder or easier than playing with angled drums, just different. I took a two-way level to the drums to make sure they are perfectly level.

I'd like comments on the appearance of the set. I have relatively few stands, as I like an uncluttered floor, but I use a lot of Dog Bones and Puppy Bones to pile all the cymbals on, so I have more hardware higher up. I have the same complement of cymbals as before, with the addition of a six-inch LP ice bell between the ride and 8-inch splash.

SKF07.jpg

SKF03.jpg

SKF05.jpg

SKF04.jpg

SKF01.jpg

SKF02.jpg

SKF06.jpg

I'd be angling those toms in a little personally, they seem a little too awkward to play due to their height above the snare and the lack of angle. Different strokes for different folks I guess

I have radically restructured the set. I have been looking to shake up the set, as I think it's good to do that every few years at least. I have always liked the look of flat drums and low cymbals. This way of playing is taking some adjustment, but it not inherently any harder or easier than playing with angled drums, just different. I took a two-way level to the drums to make sure they are perfectly level.

I'd like comments on the appearance of the set. I have relatively few stands, as I like an uncluttered floor, but I use a lot of Dog Bones and Puppy Bones to pile all the cymbals on, so I have more hardware higher up. I have the same complement of cymbals as before, with the addition of a six-inch LP ice bell between the ride and 8-inch splash.

SKF07.jpg

SKF03.jpg

SKF05.jpg

SKF04.jpg

SKF01.jpg

SKF02.jpg

SKF06.jpg

The photos were at the end of the third page so I am reposting them here.

Ozzy, you are right in that it is taking some adjustment. If it winds up being too much to cope with, I will go back to angling them. One of the reasons I'm doing this is to shake up my approach to the drum set - people will strip down to a four-piece, for example, or rearrange their cymbals.

Right now I might have to just come across the pond and steal those drums. Unfortunately they'd probably weigh down my car too much and damage the suspension. What can I say that hasn't already been said? I like the idea of the new arrangement a lot; definitely worth shaking up your approach once in a while.

Hey, I know what you mean by shaking things up a bit. I've only just started using my floor tom again; that brings the kit I'm playing up to a 3 piece with hats, ride and a cowbell. Gotta have the cowbell. Have you thought about putting that percussion 'tree' you rigged up next to your kit, maybe on the left side?

Looks pretty cool. Personally with a setup like that I'd raise the snare and hi-hat and just play it standing, like a giant cocktail kit.

Also what is hanging from Tom 3? Is it a setlist?

That looks cool but horridly uncomfortable. No height difference between floors and racks, I find once I start to pivot my body the natural pull is for my body to move downwards.

DMC,
So how does it feel playing the kit this way? I love your set-up of 3-up toms, but I would definitely have to have the floor sitting at a more traditional height. Still, your kit is one of my favorites that I would love to play on this forum.

hello
i think it's a nice kit
but don't you think that the tom's must become more youre way
your can allmost playing it will you are standing
but it is an nice kit

greets, derk

W.O.W.

That, my friend, is the most amazing drum set ever. And the most costly too! Considering the prices (whether monetary or amount of trouble you underwent to get it) of the pedal-powered talking drum, the hang drum, the dualist, the ironwood set, etc. must be a very lucky (or rich, lol) guy!

That, my friend, is the most amazing drum set ever. And the most costly too! Considering the prices (whether monetary or amount of trouble you underwent to get it) of the pedal-powered talking drum, the hang drum, the dualist, the ironwood set, etc. must be a very lucky (or rich, lol) guy!

Some people spend money on sex, drugs, rock&roll, alcohol, tobacco, firearms, cars, bikes, gambling, trips etc. and some people (like me) lead a boring and inexpensive life...

...but own a frickin' nice drum kit!

Some people spend money on sex, drugs, rock&roll, alcohol, tobacco, firearms, cars, bikes, gambling, trips etc. and some people (like me) lead a boring and inexpensive life...

...but own a frickin' nice drum kit!

Hey I resemble that comment too except for only one i'll make it a few LOL!.

How come I missed this kit. That is an aesthetic statement , DMC. Do they sound as good as they look?

How come I missed this kit. That is an aesthetic statement , DMC. Do they sound as good as they look?

I love the sound, but I love the sound of deep drums. They have a rich, strong, authoritative sound (even though the are petite sizes) but they're not suitable for all genres. Listen to sound samples at www.spiritdrums.com.

To really appreciate the beauty of the wood you need to take them into the sun or strong lighting. They've got figuring similar to bubinga.

W.O.W.

It hasn't been cheap or easy, but I've been collecting instruments for more than 20 years. I wonder what I'll be playing in another 20 - gives you something to look forward to as you age. I don't lead a very extravagant life otherwise. I think Wavelength summed it up well.

Back