What got you started playing drums?

Re: the "how" thread

Music - Rush, country rock, Zep got my ears perked that way.

Drummer - I'm in awe of Neil Peart and his abilities. But moreover I like the countryrock beats of Bruce Crump and Artimus Pyle. There's just something there....

Person - A dear friend who I fell out of touch with. He was a very good drummer and I didn't play drums when I knew him so we could play together. I played guitar at that time.

Style - When it comes to playing, I like a good bit of harder rock and then some of the countryrock stuff. I know, a little strange....

Inspirations - My main inspiration is myself. I realized when I decided to get back into music and specifically go after percussion that I COULD do it. There was a lingering doubt back then, but I've proven to myself that I can keep getting better.

Stevis said:
This thread is a thread about the "HOW" that got you into to drums.....I would like to know.....

Music- Initially Metallica and Zeppelin... Now, Rush, Hendrix, Camel, Cream, Frank Zappa, Dave Brubeck, Dream Theater... it goes on.
Drummer- Lars Ulrich (hey, points for honesty) at least at first.
Person- My parents actually, but my friend who persuaded me.
Style- Funk, Jazz and 60's Classics
Inspirations- Steve Gadd, Mike Portnoy, Ginger Baker, Mitch Mitchell, Joe Morello...

Last edited:

Music- G n R, megedeth, Metallica, thin lizzy aerosmith
Drummer- Lars Ulrich at first then i relised he a disgrace lol
Person- Me! i always wanted to play drums and then i decided to save up and pull out of a school trip to spain to get more money
Style- Hard Rock, Metal
Inspirations- Matt Sorum (slashes Snakepit album the greatest album for drums i herard in years), vinne paul, Brian Downey and everyone else i hear cos they all make me wanna play and get better better

Music- The Beatles.The first band I really loved (I'm sure I'm not alone).Led Zeppelin, natch
Drummer- Ringo got me into drums , Bonham and Buddy miles made me love the drums.
Person- My dad. He played drums in his youth , doing the Shadows covers.He also taught
me how to play the basics.
Styles- anything with a groovy fat beat.I love playing in the pocket.Mostly tho I play rock ,
funk , and folk.
Inspirations- Seeing and hearing great drummers present and past , especially the ones with
fat pockets and buckets of soul. This means that drummers that inspire me
don't necessarily need to have technical chops.Technical drummers are
everywhere , drummers with soul are a rarity.

Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

I joined the city pipe band in the early sixties. Drum Major let me take home an old metal snare that had rope & leather tension for the head and if I remember correctly it had thick cord for the snares. That old drum was beautiful and to my ears sounded great.

Last edited:

Hi Everyone im new here!

My friend showed me in 4th grade that you could play percussion in the school band. I tried it and i hated it. I was horrible and didnt practice much till about the end of 5th grade i got a private drum teacher and i dramatically got better which inspired me to practice more.

The sound, the passion, the controll, the beat, ... It just takez me away, man! I know I'll never quit this!

A man named John Henry Bonham and of course the whole 'feel' of drums

Music - What got me interested in drums was listening to Sousa marches, a recording from the '50s of fife and drum marches from the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, and Dixieland style jazz. I was about 3 or 4 years old. Hearing the Stan Getz hit recording of "The Girl from Ipanema" in the early '60s also had a huge musical impact on me as a kid. ;-)

Person - My parents. As a young kid I was constantly keeping time to music by finger tapping, toe tapping, and marching around the house, and they suggested I take up the drums.

Drummer(s) - The anonymous drummers on the above listed recordings got me started, I guess. I started lessons at age 12 in 1968.

Styles - Mostly Jazz, Funk and World (basically groove-oriented stuff). Also formal rudiments (back when there where only 26 of them!)

Inspirations - Gadd, Bill Cobham, David Garibaldi, Harvey Mason and Stewart Copeland. Also my high school drum teacher - he had the prettiest sounding open, double stroke rolls I've ever heard.

interesting... i sorta always wanted too...i come from a very musical family.. rythem is natural for me...

my dad used to take me with him wherever he went (when i was young and needed supervision) hed always have black sabbath, or zepplin playing, the family woudl alway have music in general playing...the drum parts always seemed to make sense to me...

then almost 5 years ago, i got my first kit...

sorry about the bad spelling i got shot down pretty hard today, so bear with me...

watching my brother play the drums in the basement and waiting for my turn to try them, it took me 3 years before i did get to try them and when i did, my mom and other brother thought i was daniel playing them, and hes been playing for 10 years and that was my first time.

When i was in 7th grade, i was just making that transition from juvinile musical tastes ("pop") into the good stuff. I really wanted to play an instrument. So one day i was at my friends house (who is now the guitarist in my band) and his mom's boyfriend had this really spiffy premier jazz setup. He was already playing guitar so i figured i'd give the drums a shot. Ever since i hit that first snare, i was hooked, haven't looked back since, been playing for 5 years now and probably for the rest of my life.

I had a pair of those circus things called devil sticks, but the one that you toss inbetween the two sticks broke and I started using the other two sticks as drum sticks, and eventually led to me taking lessons and getting a kit years later. I also used to go to Crospy Stills and Nash concerts and loved meeting and seeing all those drummers.

thats simple. cuz drums kick @?*%. plus chicks always go for the drummer.

Well i started playing drums when i was about 14, i just felt learning an instrument would be an awesome idea and chose the drums (Thankfully). After a while of drumming i just got into it more and more, as i started playing for bands the fun just increased. BUT i really became attached the moment my band won battle of the bands and i felt so great i knew i woudnt stop performing!!!

Thats my story

I’ve always liked rock music and back in the day (pre MTV) you had to go to a concert to see any bands. I had no money so I hardly went to any concerts. One night the concert came to me, Led Zeppelin “Song Remains the Same”, Hudson Mall Cinema, Bonzo, that was it, I went out the next day and got a job at Arthur Treachers, I kid you not. I cooked some fish, saved some money, and bought my first kit. The following week I was playing in front of a group of WWII vets at a private party bashing out mostly Rolling Stones songs with a Bonham feel or at least what I though was a Bonham feel. I’m 43 years old now and after a small 12 year hiatus I’m back playing wicked hard and redeveloping my chops. Feels good to be back.

magand said:
I cant remember the day i sat down and thought "im gonna play drums". Cous i just have always played drums. It may sound a little stupid, but thats just how it is. I can still remember my first, blue, mickey-mouse set (or at least i remember the pictures), with cymbals and all. And before that, i used to just drum on the couch with those chineese-eating-sticks-things, you know. And it just developed from the couch to be a real kit, that i play now (i dont use the couch anymore). So i cant say for how long i have been playing drums or how i started.
That is scary cos i did the EXACT same thing with the "chineese-eating-sticks-things", and I also get in trouble for randomly tapping on everything. So after the 14th phone call from my teachers, my dad finally decided to get me a kit.

I plaid violin when I was very joung.

I was disgusted of music because of that.

When I was 14, I war forced by my parents to play an instrument. so, I started to play the drum because it was the instrument wich looks for me the less ridiculous.

Strange, hu ?

but since this time, I ve never stop, because drum is really my passion even if I didn't really choose it at the beginning.

Servbot said:
I had a pair of those circus things called devil sticks, but the one that you toss inbetween the two sticks broke and I started using the other two sticks as drum sticks, and eventually led to me taking lessons and getting a kit years later. I also used to go to Crospy Stills and Nash concerts and loved meeting and seeing all those drummers.

CROSPY Stills and Nash eh....lol

Back