Learning to read music..?

I find that my students learn to read quickly because I make them write. Imagine trying to teach a 1st grader how to read without them ever writing anything. It's infinitely easier to input if you also know how to output.

I find that my students learn to read quickly because I make them write. Imagine trying to teach a 1st grader how to read without them ever writing anything. It's infinitely easier to input if you also know how to output.

What an interesting idea.

I think it's unanimous. You heard from 2 excellent members highly credible educators: Anthony and Bill Bachman.

Reading is a great tool...

It's funny because I posted this looking for arguments from both ends, but I just disregard anything going towards not learning to read. Hypocritical I guess

But as much as I'd like to learn, I'm just not dedicated enough right now. Unlike many of you, I'm a teenager and would rather party :D

It's funny because I posted this looking for arguments from both ends, but I just disregard anything going towards not learning to read. Hypocritical I guess

But as much as I'd like to learn, I'm just not dedicated enough right now. Unlike many of you, I'm a teenager and would rather party :D

So, you don't want to use a metronome or learn to read music. Sounds like you are drumming for the ladies and not the music.

Amirite?

So, you don't want to use a metronome or learn to read music. Sounds like you are drumming for the ladies and not the music.

Amirite?

I'm honestly really offended by this

I've had a love for drumming ever since I was a little kid. Before I had a drum kit, I'd use buckets and different things around the house to make a "drum kit" to play. It's kinda my passion & I definitely never did it for "ladies".. never really had to ya feel

The laziness is what keeps me from learning to read, and metronomes are just annoying

The laziness is what keeps me from learning to read, and metronomes are just annoying

That's your choice and that choice is totally fine. It's your journey and you can travel whatever road you choose to get there. That road might limit you in the future, it might not.....only time will tell. But if you started this topic looking for validation of those choices, then I reckon you're gonna find the chorus will be pretty light on.

That's your choice and that choice is totally fine. It's your journey and you can travel whatever road you choose to get there. That road might limit you in the future, it might not.....only time will tell. But if you started this topic looking for validation of those choices, then I reckon you're gonna find the chorus will be pretty light on.

Perfect summary, as we've come to expect, J.

One thing I've noticed on web forums is that people try to program each other - there are sanctioned approaches in each peer group and if you run contrary to the accepted mores, pressure is applied to encourage people to "get with the program".

At DW the legit approach rules and most advice is pretty well what comes from serious music school ... meanwhile lackadaisical three-beers-and-rock-out drummers appear to be a large, somewhat cowed, rump on the forum.

No judgement either way, just observations.

At DW the legit approach rules and most advice is pretty well what comes from serious music school ... meanwhile lackadaisical three-beers-and-rock-out drummers appear to be a large, somewhat cowed, rump on the forum.

Yep. As always, it just depends on what you want to do and how far you want to take it, G.

There's room for a drummer who can't read, just as there's room for a drummer who can't play to a click. But there's always a hell of a lot more room for those who can.

The key is not to piss and moan if one finds they start missing gigs where those skills are a requirement. You had your choice and you chose to do nothing about it. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone if you find your opportunities are more limited than someone who's better equipped.

A metronome is not optional...driving a car without a speedometer is possible but not a good idea..same with practice sans metronome.

Reading music is not a bad thing no matter how you look at it. The actual requirement stems from what your goals are:

If you want to be in a local cover band or your own original band and do not want to be a session guy or professional musician, for instance on a cruise ship gig, then you do not need to read music. Today, the musician has a different set of rules than when many now famous musicians were "coming up". To make a living at music, you probably will have to engage in several different areas like teaching, film scores, session work, etc etc...and for those you will need to read. If you are serious about a career in music, then reading is required.

It is not important until someone wants to pay you a bunch of money to play their music, and they hand you the sheets . . . .

I don't see how it can be important for a guitarist and not for a drummer. I think reading tabs is an essential skill at any level, beginner or pro.

Do what you want, but let me ask you this: If you wanted to be a poet, would it make sense to want to be illiterate? It can be done (Homer was blind), and certainly in the past many storytellers memorized everything. However, you would greatly limit your sources of knowledge, your communications with others, and your ability to record your thoughts.

Back