Hello!

Km6543

Hi! Been looking through some of the posts on this forum and figured I'd introduce myself. I'm Kyle, 29 years old and have been playing since high school (10+ years). Currently I am using a Yamaha DTX520K with a few extra pads, but in the past I had a Yamaha Beech Custom kit with Meinl and Paiste cymbals.

I listen to a lot of video game music, but also like some jazz, some rock, little of this and little of that. Mainly I like music that is sophisticated and eclectic and challenging to play with, or music that evokes strong emotions. I am interested in Afro-Cuban and Brazilian rhythms as well as left-foot clave work, and although I don't really follow death metal so much in itself, I am a big fan of speed metal double bass playing (i.e. George Kollias, Derek Roddy, Alex Rudinger).

I have been working on some drum cover videos for the past year or so, viewable at http://www.youtube.com/user/km6543/videos . I mostly have done video game covers, but prefer tunes that are either complex or let me take some creative liberties.

When I was in high school I simply found I was becoming drawn to the drums. I would sometimes kick the front part of my desk in school pretending it was a kick drum, while "air-playing" everything else. It took a while but I eventually persuaded my parents to get me my first kit, an entry-level Peavey set with an extra Meinl Lightning-series crash (now discontinued). Instead of getting bored with them I kept playing, and eventually upgraded to a Yamaha Beech Custom with Meinl Lightning crashes, an Amun big bell power ride, Paiste Innovations hi-hats, and a super thin Paiste Dimensions china-type. Most of those cymbals I believe are no longer manufactured.

Then - I ended up selling all that due to financial reasons, and some years later found myself in South Korea teaching English. I saved up enough money from that gig to buy what I have today!

In addition to drumming I am a big foreign language buff and interested in travel and international affairs. I have seriously studied German, Russian, Japanese, and some Mandarin and Korean. If you happen to speak any of those drop me a line! I very much enjoy meeting people from all over. My college degree is in international studies as well. I studied in Germany and have traveled to Japan.

That's all I can think of! Thanks for making it this far.

Welcome. And I'd never let go of my Beech Customs. If I had them. Sorry you had to. My favorite drummer Phil Ehart of Kansas has had his for years. They were discontinued a few years ago I think.

Phil Ehart qualifies as a big influence on me too Lar. Kansas' first 4 albums, and especially the first 3, really spoke to me. After Leftoverture, I kind of lost interest in the band. "Down The Road" is one of the all time great driving songs.

Oh that's right lol, welcome Kyle.

Oh golly gosh, what a fascinating bio!

I'm so glad your parents realised how important drumming was to you. Parents are notoriously fallible, especially when it comes to the essential stuff.

My younger daughter (mini-Madge) would have given her eye-teeth to teach English in South Korea. (My friend's daughter did it, without sacrificing any body part, as far as I'm aware.) Mini-Madge is currently studying in Singapore.

My elder daughter (midi-Madge) is studying Games Art/Design; I wouldn't be a bit surprised if she is interested in the same music that you listen to.

Welcome to DW. Dig in!

Thanks for reading! I owe a lot to my folks who didn't mind my practicing. I also lived in an area where the noise wasn't really an issue.

Your daughters seem to be having interesting and varied experiences. What is your younger one taking in Singapore?

Game design always seemed fun and challenging. I hope your daughter enjoys herself in that field.

Oh golly gosh, what a fascinating bio!

I'm so glad your parents realised how important drumming was to you. Parents are notoriously fallible, especially when it comes to the essential stuff.

My younger daughter (mini-Madge) would have given her eye-teeth to teach English in South Korea. (My friend's daughter did it, without sacrificing any body part, as far as I'm aware.) Mini-Madge is currently studying in Singapore.

My elder daughter (midi-Madge) is studying Games Art/Design; I wouldn't be a bit surprised if she is interested in the same music that you listen to.

Welcome to DW. Dig in!

Thanks for reading! I owe a lot to my folks who didn't mind my practicing. I also lived in an area where the noise wasn't really an issue.

Your daughters seem to be having interesting and varied experiences. What is your younger one taking in Singapore?

Game design always seemed fun and challenging. I hope your daughter enjoys herself in that field.

She's studying Fashion Media & Industries (whatever that is). Neither daughter has any rhythm!

Well hope she's having fun. Love your icon by the way!

She is. Expensively.

It used to be a kitten, but MadAboutDrums reconfigured me. He must have realised that I needed sharp claws occasionally, although they only come out in emergencies.

Back