New Green Mountain Bass Drum!

cap'n

After a car accident that left my bass drum completed caved inward (honestly the most horrifying thing I have ever seen), I went on a mad hunt for a replacement so that I could keep playing with my band. Weeks went by and my budget just really wasn't allowing much room to wiggle. On a long shot, I emailed Bill from Green Mountain Drums and he decided that he would donate me one of his high-quality, custom bass drums!
I was, and still am ecstatic. This is the kind of generosity and compassion for fellow musicians that keeps our community thriving.

The details!
20x16, Maple/Mahogany/Poplar mix. I play in two bands, both of which are very heavy so although beggars can't be choosers, I was a bit skeptical of the 20". I gotta say though, it's made no difference. This thing projects, and the tone is so rich. Not to mention, I'm a sucker for full length lugs.

http://greenmountaindrums.com/

tumblr_mjv1so7erq1rk1qtyo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mjv1so7erq1rk1qtyo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mjv1so7erq1rk1qtyo3_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats! It looks great, and you seem to be happy with the sound. May it bring you years of musical joy. Peace and goodwill.

Back in the Saddle Again!

20" kicks rawk. You're a lucky guy, and Green Mountain drums sounds like good people.

They are actually from just up the road from my tiny little hometown in Vermont. The drummer for Grace Potter and the Nocturnals is an endorser. Now I'm curious!

I have spent many a day skiing at nearby Smugglers' Notch.

Last edited:
Yup, I'm just down in Rutland so it's not too bad to Cambridge. Though I will say that when I went to pick up this drum I ran into a plethora of car problems, that made it just a little bit more painful haha.
Speaking from only what I've experienced, Green Mountain Drums are very crisp and rich in their tone. I don't feel like there's any lack in response from my drum and it consistently proves that through a full-range of tunings. In addition to that, they exclusively deal with wood hoops, manufacture all the hardware in-shop from stainless steel, and work with a variety of woods. They also went ahead and customized this drum, despite it being a donation, by throwing longer tension rods on it than is typical so that I can achieve a lower tuning (I mainly play in hardcore bands).

Not to mention I feel a lot better about supporting small, local drum builders rather than the bigger, often generic, names in custom drums. And of course, thanks for all the love ya'll!

For those who were/are interested, ya'll should check out the facebook page for more info!

Diggin' those lugs too ! You should take off one of the heads and get a shot of the bearing edge.. and inside of the shell.

Back