Charlie Watts

I tried that once and it definitely makes for a different sound, although I found it to be really counter-intuitive.

in what way con struct? explain ^^

It's because ever since I began playing I've played the hats in the same way that I play the ride cymbal. When I play the hats my hands work together so I don't see any need to remove one beat or stroke with my right hand to "make room" for my left hand.

So trying it felt very strange and, I guess you could say, "not right." However, if you really take a close look at what various drummers do you can see that they all, we all, do things that work for us and us alone, no?

I read a story about once when Mick was drunk, late at night, in a hotel lobby and he kept yelling "WHERE'S MY DRUMMER??" He rang up to Charlie's room, where the man was sleeping, and told him to come down. Well, Charlie took a shower, shaved, put on some nice clothes and walked down to where Mick was, still yelling "WHERE'S _MY_ DRUMMER??", and punched him out and said "I'm not _your_ drummer, you are my singer!" and went back to his room.

I love Charlie!

Charlie Watts (Drummer for the Rolling Stones) has played Gretsch drums all of his career---BUT---
Does anyone KNOW if Charlie Watts was playing Gretsch drums the 1st time he appeared on the Ed Sullivan show?

(I think it was 1964--a few months after the Beatles appeared on that show)

I have seen dozens of pictures of the 1st appearance of the Stones on the Ed Sullivan show, but can't determine if the drums are Gretsch.
There is no logo head and the pictures are not clear enough.

Thanks...

As far as I know Charlie discovered his famous Gretsch kit at a recording session after the Ed Sullivan debut. I also can't tell what drums he was playing during the first Sullivan performance.
In Charlie's own words he found his late fifties kit in the early seventies. http://youtu.be/7PZug4854sI

The "famous" 57 round badge kit became Charlie's in 1971. He was working on a Ron Wood album. Prior to that, he did have a few other Gretsch (newer) kits. One can be seen on the Get Your Ya Yas Out (tied to the mule). The real early Stones video's I've seen, looks like Ludwig fold out spurs on the kick.​

he played Ludwig through most of the 60's right up to the Brian Jones Hyde Park show so about 68 69 switched

So it was worth it! Mission accomplished! Haga!

To be fair on Charlie, who I understand is a peaceful soul, the time he punched out Mick Jagger was the same time he was having a mid life crisis and he was drunk at the time.

He also came 22nd in GQ's 50 Best-Dressed Men in Britain 2012 list.

He's also listed in Wikipedia under its hi hat entry, which seems odd:

"Charlie Watts of The Rolling Stones uses a technique in which he does not play the hi-hat in unison with the snare drum at all. If playing a standard 8th note pattern, he will play the hi-hat on 1 and 3 and not playing it on 2 and 4 where the snare drum is played."

I think it's trying to say he does not play the hats on the 2 and 4 in unison with the backbeat. The way it's written makes him sound like he's pounding out quarter notes like Meg :)

He does love his threads. Apparently he used to do his block back in the day when he'd be swanning around town in his latest expensive Savile Row suit, only to be trumped on some best dressed or most stylish list, by Keith......who'd donned Anita's clothes and headed out the door.

To be fair on Charlie, who I understand is a peaceful soul, the time he punched out Mick Jagger was the same time he was having a mid life crisis and he was drunk at the time.

this was also the time that he was a heroin addict. yep he waited unyil the 90's when everyone had cleaned up to get on heroin.

he got out of bed and got dressed in his nice suit to go downstairs and knock Mick out.

Keef: Mick had it coming. not for "that" (Mick waking Charlie up to impress someone...and referring to Charlie as "his drummer") but he did have it coming.

Charlie: i'm not his drummer, he's my singer.

He does love his threads. Apparently he used to do his block back in the day when he'd be swanning around town in his latest expensive Savile Row suit, only to be trumped on some best dressed or most stylish list, by Keith......who'd donned Anita's clothes and headed out the door.

Damn guitarists....hogging all the glory.

25 years ago someone asked Charlie..."what's it like playing with the Stones for 25 years ?"
Charlie replied..."5 years of playing and 20 years waiting around"

He's also listed in Wikipedia under its hi hat entry, which seems odd:

"Charlie Watts of The Rolling Stones uses a technique in which he does not play the hi-hat in unison with the snare drum at all. If playing a standard 8th note pattern, he will play the hi-hat on 1 and 3 and not playing it on 2 and 4 where the snare drum is played."

I think it's trying to say he does not play the hats on the 2 and 4 in unison with the backbeat. The way it's written makes him sound like he's pounding out quarter notes like Meg :)

I noticed him not playing his hats on the 2 and 4 when I saw TRS live in 1978 on the Some Girls tour. I toyed with that style here and there. He does not like having to compete for the space with both hands playing crossover. I have to admit I sometimes hit my left stick with my right and cause a double hit. That happens when I play a set with small toms above the hat and the hat sitting lower and more to the front.

FWIW I never liked his technique of stopping the hi hat for the backbeat. It all feels kind of jerky to me because the flow stops and starts. Was never a fan of his playing. But he does have a style that's all him. Just not a big fan of his playing choices. Sorry! I like him as a person though.

Back