Our 'Other' Drums

Do any of you know if the djembe attachment for the LP Triple Conga Stand work on the Double Conga Stand?

This is the kit I use with band rehearsals and performances. I usually don't include the bongo's, they are crap and I barely use them anyway.
The kit is a Pearl Export series, with pinstripe heads on the bass and toms, and a remo ambassador on the snare. The cymbals are:
Paiste 302 14" hats and 20" ride
Zildjian 16" crash (not entirely sure what type)
Stagg 8" splash (not sure what type but it sounds awesome!)
Sabian B8 10" splash and 18" China (my own)

I also bring my own Tama Iron Cobra power glide pedal to rehearsals and gigs.
Sorry for the low-quality pic... don't have any better ones.

Attachments

• Afb005.jpg
    Afb005.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2,913
Here's a pic of my other drums ! A Roland TD-20, a Remo 14" djembe,(which I play w/my girls middle eastern dance troop), and an instument me and a freind made, the LID-O-PHONE ! It's made from pot and pan lids,and played like a vibraphone ! It's alot of fun ! :eek:)
Wisdomwoodshedotherdrums003.jpg

I'm stuck back in the corner with my AA Meinl Congas.

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 2,713
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 2,685
neilpscuz said:
Here's a pic of my other drums ! A Roland TD-20, a Remo 14" djembe,(which I play w/my girls middle eastern dance troop), and an instument me and a freind made, the LID-O-PHONE ! It's made from pot and pan lids,and played like a vibraphone ! It's alot of fun ! :eek:)
Wisdomwoodshedotherdrums003.jpg
wow! I want a lid-o-phone, what a brilliant idea!

Kevlar said:
My tabla...admittedly, I don't really know how to play them properly. I'm going to find a teacher soon. They're just such a beautiful instrument(s).
tablaaloneshrunk8xk.jpg

A few of my instruments together: toy drum from China, temple blocks, odd cowbells, the tabla, shekere, and dumbek (which hasn't shown up well in this picture).
floorkitshrunk4mu.jpg
I play tabla, but have never studied the Ragas. I had a few lessons in Varanassi to get the basic techniques and then when I got home practiced, but to western rhythms. Its an incredible instrument and takes a lifetime and a bit more commitment than I can give to master them properly, but I have used them in bands and in recordings nevertheless

I also play djembe and darbuka, but more traditionally the djembe, it's a fantastic drum.

As for congas, I have no idea about the techniques used to play them but would love to learn, they seem incredibly involved... too many drums not enough spare time

I don' have any pics available right now, but I have a pair of LP aspire bongos, a "north african snare drum" I bought from a store in florida called Hunt's Art and Artifacts.(it's a ceramic type drum made with a shape similar to that of a djembe, but it has no strings or rim to tie down the head. The head[which I assume is calfskin] seems to be dried onto the shell, and attached under it is a pair of twinelike strings that act as snares in giving a neat sort of 'buzz'ing sound.) I also have a large irish drum that I know little about that my dad got from my grandmother, and an great old Leady vibraphone that I'm renting from my teacher, I believe it's about 90.

a couple of toys

i found the djembe at tj maxx, close knots interior nice, the smaller ones came from my sister as gifts and you can play most of them.A few are decorations and must be played gingerly

Attachments

• DSCN1505.JPG
    DSCN1505.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 2,724
  • drums.jpg
    drums.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 2,814
  • djembe.jpg
    djembe.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 2,750
Re: a couple of toys

i found the djembe at tj maxx, close knots interior nice, the smaller ones came from my sister as gifts and you can play most of them.A few are decorations and must be played gingerly

Whaaaaa??? You found that djembe at tj maxx? I'll have to go check out my local one. That looks like a decent djembe. According to Nutha....close knots = good djembe...

Can I ask how much $$ you spent on it???

thanks,
murph

Re: a couple of toys

take a look in the junk aisle wooden bowls home decor african masks etc..i paid 70 for the djembe,not a bad deal also check marshalls....

I have a Remo 14" Earth Djembe
Two Casa Percusion Cermaic Dumbeks ( one skin one synthetic)
One Casa Percussion Turkish Style Dumbek

Attachments

• new photos 157.jpg
    new photos 157.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 2,743
This Are mine Meinl Wood Bongos 6 3/4" + 8"

they sound really cool

Attachments

• DSC00770.JPG
    DSC00770.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 2,538
  • DSC00766.JPG
    DSC00766.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 2,485
  • DSC00769.JPG
    DSC00769.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 2,425
  • DSC00764.JPG
    DSC00764.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 2,468
Last edited:
Here's a drum I got in Santa Fe. It's a native drum made out of a tree that had split into two trunks
TheKIT035.jpg

And here's another native drum, I included my kit in the picture so you can get an idea of how huge this thing is.
TheKIT038.jpg

Here's an assortment of most of my hand percussion.
TheKIT039.jpg

From left to right it would be; a set of bongos, a tiny little conga, a set of australian clave like things, a tambourine, and a hand made ceramic doumbek (my favorite!)
TheKIT040.jpg

And then those miniature congas by Hidalgo are amazing! They sound and feel like the real sized thing hehe
TheKIT041.jpg

A frame drum, shaker, and tambourine hanging from the wall...
TheKIT042.jpg

A small, lovely gong
TheKIT043.jpg

Wind chimes that sound like some middle eastern key or something its nothing like american made chimes
TheKIT044.jpg

you've probably heard of the roland handsonic before. great stuff (and its to the side in between my two kits so i can play it at the same time)
TheKIT044.jpg

Agogo bells or something from africa. I wanna put them onto my kit too haha
TheKIT047.jpg

A Triton, Karma, and Fantom... all have some sweet drum loops and stuff
TheKIT045.jpg

and finally an mpc 4000 drum machine
TheKIT048.jpg

I know this post is long haha so you can get rid of it or move it to a seperate thread if you want Nutha lol!

Very impressive. How long have you been collecting?

Back