My Transcriptions

S

SickRick

I've decided to open a thread for all my transcriptions so that you don't have to search for them in different threads.

I'll be reposting all of my previous ones during the next days and I'll be uploading my new stuff into this thread in the future.

I'll start with a brandnew one. Johnny Rabb at Drummersfest 2006 (only the last part though). This one is for the Freehand and Drumbal lovers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_eBSmVvTG4&feature=PlayList&p=75E4C07A9036F539&index=20

Have Fun.

Attachments

• Johnny Rabb 2006.pdf
    61.8 KB · Views: 691
Sickrick,

Thanks, I look forward to seeing some of your other stuff on here! As for the solo there by Johnny...amazing! Loved it a LOT!

Great thread! I should really learn to better my reading, I usually only take a look a small parts from each section, and it takes me a while to understand exactly how to play those anyway. Good job man.

Dave DiCensos great solo from this video (starts at 3:13):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_81IomgGEY

This transcription features some little "workshops" and more comments than my other stuff to make easier to work with. Hope you'll enjoy this.

Attachments

• Dave DiCenso Two Ton Shoe DWF.pdf
    116.4 KB · Views: 907
The head from the tune "Fragolino" by Billy Cobham as heard on the recording "Mississippi Knights". Sorry - no YouTube link for this one.

Great playing and awesome tune nontheless. Hope someone will check this out!

Also: No stickings since it's a recording, no video.

Attachments

• Billy Cobham Fragolino.pdf
    48.7 KB · Views: 510
Some nice Gaddisms from various drummers (Steve Gadd, Steve Smith, Dave DiCenso, Paul Kaiser and myself).

Some of these have already been transcribed by other guys (Korompay for sure), but this is just a nice collection and fun to practise.

Attachments

• Gaddisms.pdf
    49.5 KB · Views: 610
JoJo Mayer Performance 1 in a brushed up and easier to read version than the one I posted last year.

Great playing, great grooves, great licks, great phrasings..... and a great conversation I had about this with John Riley.

Attachments

• JoJo Mayer Performance 1.pdf
    88.3 KB · Views: 602
JoJo Mayer Groove for Drummerworld and Beatz08.

Some great stuff in there as well. This is also a brushed up version.

Attachments

• JoJo Mayer groove for DW and Beatz08.pdf
    55.9 KB · Views: 494
JoJo Mayer Performance 3 in a brushed up version. In this one I also corrected some mistakes that I found while practising it.

If there is only one transcription that you should check out, it's this one. Just absolutely awsome playing. I love it.

Here comes the big one :)

Attachments

• JoJo Mayer Performance 3.pdf
    140.7 KB · Views: 541
Last edited:
Hey "Rick" ! This is too much! You are not allowed to outdo me! ;-)

Zsolt.... I guess it's impossible to outdo you. Your thread has like 100 pages already... mine has one, hahaha.

I do have plans for the next projects though: Next ones are PaPa JoJones, Dave DiCenso part two and my favourite: Gary Novak. After that I'm thinking Keith Carlock or some jazzy stuff, but I'll see.

I want to say something about requests (because I did get some in the past): I'm really happy for suggestions, but for me it's very important to like what I write out. If I don't like it, I just cannot get myself to do the work. Someone asked me to transcribe Steve Smith in the past but the particular solo just wasn't my taste so I gave up like three bars into it.

O M G...

All I can say is THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing with us.

Dave D is one of my favorites and who I want to be when I grow up ;-)

Lutz, you're the man!

Hey man, I'm really glad that you like it. I didn't know Dave was so famous - I never ever heard about him until Linear Drummer asked me to write that solo out and sent me a Link. I watched it and thought "holy f****g sh*it what the hell is that guy using???". I had to write out after that...

I think it's very intersting to watch Dave in this video and then the MD 2006 video. He totally changed his technique like Weckl did. Now he grips the stick way more front than on the Two Ton Shoe video (he holds it at the very end in this one). He looks way more fluid now, but I think with the old style there was a little more dirt to it which I actually prefer. Got me thinking about me own approach too (I am a Weckl guy when it comes to grip). Holding the stick way back feels strange but has a lot more power....

If you like Dave, you have to check Gary Novak. One of my absolute faves and just a sick player. Keep checking this thread, his great Solo with Chick Corea will be one of the next projects (might take some time though).

Zsolt.... I guess it's impossible to outdo you. Your thread has like 100 pages already... mine has one, hahaha.

I do have plans for the next projects though: Next ones are PaPa JoJones, Dave DiCenso part two and my favourite: Gary Novak. After that I'm thinking Keith Carlock or some jazzy stuff, but I'll see.

I want to say something about requests (because I did get some in the past): I'm really happy for suggestions, but for me it's very important to like what I write out. If I don't like it, I just cannot get myself to do the work. Someone asked me to transcribe Steve Smith in the past but the particular solo just wasn't my taste so I gave up like three bars into it.

Of course that is an absolute rule of thumb! Thanks so much for the time and effort into the pieces you have already placed here for us to work through...that is awesome!

This is a great idea. You, Korompay and anyone else that have transcriptions to put up should get one big sticky for all of them. Otherwise, at some point they might all disappear and everyone coming later may never find them.

Love it! Someone sticky all of these.

Hey man, I'm really glad that you like it. I didn't know Dave was so famous - I never ever heard about him until Linear Drummer asked me to write that solo out and sent me a Link. I watched it and thought "holy f****g sh*it what the hell is that guy using???". I had to write out after that...

I think it's very intersting to watch Dave in this video and then the MD 2006 video. He totally changed his technique like Weckl did. Now he grips the stick way more front than on the Two Ton Shoe video (he holds it at the very end in this one). He looks way more fluid now, but I think with the old style there was a little more dirt to it which I actually prefer. Got me thinking about me own approach too (I am a Weckl guy when it comes to grip). Holding the stick way back feels strange but has a lot more power....

If you like Dave, you have to check Gary Novak. One of my absolute faves and just a sick player. Keep checking this thread, his great Solo with Chick Corea will be one of the next projects (might take some time though).

Yeah, I love the "dirt" and raw energy Dave has in this clip. Also, I really like the way you've highlighted sections (modulations) and singled out certain patterns. For whatever reason, this particular transcription has helped me to "see" a couple of HUGE patterns that I have now taken and used to make my own variations - I've also translated some of the sticking and sound sources and really gotten a LOT out of this.

Thanks again Lutz!

Here is Dave DiCenso with Two Ton Shoe part two.

This one was much easier to write out because it stays on the vamp all the time. There are some really insane licks in this one and a lot of similar stuff as in the first one but orchestrated differently.

This one could also be very intersting for all the double bass guys around.

I've added a timecode and made up a big workshop part in the end to get you started. The highlighted sections in the solo are the ones that you will find in the workshop. Enjoy this one and give me some feedback.

I'd recommend all the Dave DiCenso fans to start with this one because I think it's a bit easier to "get".

Lutz

Attachments

• Dave DiCenso Two Ton Shoe Part2.pdf
    106.9 KB · Views: 885
Back