Show Off Your Tama.....SNARE DRUMS!!!

Tama rare all rosewood snare 4 sale. 14x6,5 10 omnitune lugs, sie cast hoops, cam lever strainer. email me for details.

Attachments

• 20131222_120410.jpg
    20131222_120410.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 2,647
This has now become my main snare a Tama Starclassic 14 x 8 Bubinga.

Attachments

• 1658606_10151949565611334_284940828_o.jpg
    1658606_10151949565611334_284940828_o.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 2,130
All right, I'll play along as I own a few Tama snares.

1. Exotix limited edition bubinga snare, circa 2004
2. Starclassic nickel (or chrome) over brass
3. Star series walnut stave
4. Starclassic Bubinga Select (matches one of my kits)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 2,083
My new favorite snare.

Tama 13 x 6-1/2 Birch w/nickle chrome die cast hoops and a very smooth snare release.

DSCF1348.JPG

DSCF1349.JPG

Take a look at pictures inside the drum.

8 plies of maple, innermost ply is steel.

EDIT:

Excuse me for saying ply and not 1mm. I knew what I meant.

Jumping back a few years....

I finally got my hands on a used MP maple and it does indeed has an odd inner ply. Not sure it's metal but it's not just wood, that's for sure.

I really need to take new pics and post them in here. I have far too many to not post them.

headless starclassic copper

Attachments

• headless copper.jpg
    headless copper.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,826
WARLORD........................Masai

Attachments

• warlord 007.jpg
    warlord 007.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 1,703
  • warlord 018.jpg
    warlord 018.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 1,691
  • warlord 009.jpg
    warlord 009.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 1,702
Here goes, my Tama Starphonic Bubinga 14x6 made in Japan :

172394DSC04503.jpg

692012DSC04511.jpg

610515DSC04486.jpg

Those are some seriously weird lugs. Do they have any manner of functionality to them?

If you are talking about the Starphonic lugs ? :
Designed for the new 1,6mm Groove hoops and easy to remove hoops function.
Those hoops give to the shell that fantastic musicality !

Ok so I just won an auction for a 6x14 Tama Starclassic G snare drum to add to my collection. What am I in for? I normally use metal, Pearl Sensitone 5.5x14, or 6.5x14 Ludwig Supraphonic, on occasion I will use a 5.5x14 Magstar Maple snare. I thought I would try a little deeper wood drum on some gigs.

I have no reason why I switch it up sometimes, mostly to keep things interesting and spark some new ideas. It's not like I'm recording, just live gigs.

What can you Tama guys tell me about this drum?

Attachments

• tama.jpg
    tama.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,564
Ok so I just won an auction for a 6x14 Tama Starclassic G snare drum to add to my collection. What am I in for? I normally use metal, Pearl Sensitone 5.5x14, or 6.5x14 Ludwig Supraphonic, on occasion I will use a 5.5x14 Magstar Maple snare. I thought I would try a little deeper wood drum on some gigs.

I have no reason why I switch it up sometimes, mostly to keep things interesting and spark some new ideas. It's not like I'm recording, just live gigs.

What can you Tama guys tell me about this drum?

You sure that's a Tama? Starclassic snares come with die cast hoops, which those are not. That throw off also doesn't look like any Starclassic one I've seen, and those lugs are the wrong shape. Now this may be an older model I'm not familiar with, but from what I can tell, it isn't a Tama? I hope I'm wrong.

Hi Scotty, thanks for the reply. I never owned a Tama snare. I was a bit skeptical because no one else bid on the drum. I made the first offer and I got it. The seller has a great selling score but is not a music dealer. It's a gamble, I will see what the drum is all about in a few days. My guess is the person he got the drum from told him it was a starclassic. The add said special custom paint job and a logo that read Logo's Drums.

What difference does the die cast hoop make as opposed to triple flanged?

Hi Scotty, thanks for the reply. I never owned a Tama snare. I was a bit skeptical because no one else bid on the drum. I made the first offer and I got it. The seller has a great selling score but is not a music dealer. It's a gamble, I will see what the drum is all about in a few days. My guess is the person he got the drum from told him it was a starclassic. The add said special custom paint job and a logo that read Logo's Drums.

What difference does the die cast hoop make as opposed to triple flanged?

Die cast hoops tend to focus the drum's overtones, thus making the drum more focused whereas triple flanged hoops are more open sounding. Die cast also have a more solid feel to them. Of course one isn't "better" than the other, it just has a different sound!

The finish on the drum sure does look great though. Any chance you could post more pics of the snare?

Thanks for the info on the hoops, I also hear the S hoop is somewhere in between the die cast and flanged. It also protects the bearing edge?

I will post a few more pics later today.
2b

Last edited:
Back