INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

Re: Greetings and Salutations

Welcome. Always good to have more experienced players aboard to get advice from :)

Re: Newbie

Hi Kyle.
No, I don't think Maz is a forum kinda bloke! Busy gigging with his "real" band.
This is just an excuse to play the stuff we grew up on. Ah, gotta love middle-age.

Yes, the DW is a lovely kit. He has a "kick port" in the front head of the kick drum; makes a bloody huge sound! Easily competes with a silly-sized guitar rig.

Thanks for the compliment.
Bob.

Welcome aboard mate.

There's a few names I recognise in that line up....and a quick delve into Google quickly reminded me where I'd seen you before too. Great to have you on the site. Your experience will be of great benefit here.

Welcome aboard mate.

There's a few names I recognise in that line up....and a quick delve into Google quickly reminded me where I'd seen you before too. Great to have you on the site. Your experience will be of great benefit here.

Bear in mind, I'm just a guitar player who's a frustrated drummer!
However, if I can be of assistance, let me know.

Ta mate - I appreciate it.
Bob.

Bear in mind, I'm just a guitar player who's a frustrated drummer!

Has it been a long running interest of yours? You've played with some good ones over the years Bob. I'd wager you can call on some pretty solid players for a tip or two.

You said the gig with Mick and co is just a side gig. I take it you still have a lot of other irons in the fire.....have you managed to get any kit time in to satisfy the drumming itch?

Has it been a long running interest of yours? You've played with some good ones over the years Bob. I'd wager you can call on some pretty solid players for a tip or two.

You said the gig with Mick and co is just a side gig. I take it you still have a lot of other irons in the fire.....have you managed to get any kit time in to satisfy the drumming itch?

My fave drummer is Peter Heckenberg, a Sydney lad who moved to NY about 10 years ago to teach up-market kids. I've recently begun recording for myself, & Heck has been sending me drum tracks from his home studio. He doesn't have a collection of API mic pre's etc, but he does have that groove. I've taken to analysing drummers (hence a post in the "techniques" forum) & I just don't get it - Heck's playing looks to be perfectly in time (I pull up a grid to see) but it sounds so comfortable & loose. It's got me buggered how he does that! You may have surmised that I get pretty anal about stuff.

Yes, I've been fortunate enough to hang with some very good drummers - guitar players are in general a pretty boring bunch, they keep pathetically waffling on about "vintage" stuff, which I couldn't care less about........ So yeah, I do annoy them with questions. The really good ones just seem to try to play "in time" to the best of their abilities, yet their grooves are so different. I love Maz's groove (as in Boom Crash Opera, Raw Brit etc) & have asked him to come in & whack away & record on my MIDI kit so I can analyse him, too!

My own drumming is very basic. Read: pretty much total crap. But I do love playing! I'm a huge fan of Ted McKenna, Simon Kirke, Al Jackson, Elvin Jones, Gene Krupa, John Lee (The Dingoes) the usual suspects. I admit to using software to fix stuff, however, I've found that if I don't approach the part the right way, no amount of fixing will make it sound acceptable & I don't want to program everything that Heck isn't playing on.

Sorry about the lengthy reply. Oops!

Off to coach for my kids music program.

Regards,
Bob.

Real name?
Tony Rocha

Age?

How long have you been playing?
Officially? A few months.. but I played around
on other people's kits for the greater part of a few years

Origin of user name?
Its a combination of the nicknames I got in school

Your top 5 drummers?
Jimmy Sullivan
Neil Peart
Terry Bozzio
Mike Wengren
Travis Barker

Make of drumkit?
Taye

Make of cymbal?
Sabian (Crash, Ride, and Crash-ride)
LP (Ice bell)
Wuhan (China)
Zildjian (Hats)

Where do you practice?
My room

Are you in a band?
We are just starting out
and struggling all the way (financial reasons :\)

Do you play covers or originals?
a lot of covers, but I also spend a lot of time experimenting
to try and compose for a few songs we've written

What style of music?
Metal

Favourite take out food?
chinese

What country do you live in?
USA

One really odd fact about yourself?
I love pizza rolls and mountain dew.. together...

How did you start drumming?
I'd always been making "beats" since I was young, I just traded in pencils and desks for drumsticks and drums

Hey guys i'm new to this forum it's nice to meet you all.

Real name?
Joshua Chandler
Age?
How long have you been playing?
4 and a half years
Origin of user name?[/B
Yoshimitsu form the video game tekken with a J repalacing the Y. i don't play tekken anymore but i made it when i was 10 and has been by go to username ever since.
Your top 5 drummers?
Travis Barker
Shannon Leto
Mike Fuentes
Chad Smith
Dean Butterworth
Make of drumkit?
Yamaha
Make of cymbal?
Zildjian
Where do you practice?
At home
Are you in a band?
yes
Do you play covers or originals?
originals
What style of music?
Pop-Punk
Favourite take out food?
Subway with vege patty and no cheese. That's all i can eat as i am a vegan.
What country do you live in?
Australia
One really odd fact about yourself?
I have a huge phobia of sharks. I can't even watch one on tv or look at a picture of one.
How did you start drumming?
I used to listen to Travis Barkers drumming in Blink 182 and tap along to the songs on a couch or pillows. One day my dad who is also a drummer but hadn't played in years took his old kit out of the shed and i jumped on it and just started playing. the rest is history haha.

• Real name? Giorgio G.
  • Age? 31
  • How long have you been playing? I started in 1998 and played for a year and a half. Then I had to give up, since I moved to a different city to attend University. Then it was a lot of on and off, until 2009, when I formed a New Wave cover band with a few friends, so I seriously resumed playing. But I\\\\\\\'m still crappy!
  • Origin of user name? Long and not funny to explain. It just means \\\"Pear Juice\\\" in Italian.
  • Your top 5 drummers? Jimmy Chamberlin, Jimmy Chamberlin, Jimmy Chamberlin, Jimmy Chamberlin and Jimmy Chamberlin.
  • Make of drumkit? My best kit is currently a Tamburo Formula (Italian manufacturer), but I also still have the Ludwig Rocker \\\'98 I started playing on, which I use for live performances. I also have a Roland TD-9KX.
  • Make of cymbal? Zildjian! I am trying to build a full set of A\\\'s, one of A Custom\\\'s and one of K\\\'s. Takes a lot of money!!! I also have a set of Murat Diril\\\'s, which are gaining popularity in Italy.
  • Where do you practice? At my parents\\\' house, which is sadly ~100 km away from where I work (and live), so I spend all of my weekends there. But I have my Roland here!
  • Are you in a band? Yes, it\\\'s called Decade, http://www.decade.it
  • Do you play covers or originals? We started out as a dark rock/new wave cover band (think of Joy Division)., but we are also trying to come up with originals. We already have half a dozen ready and many others to complete.
  • Favourite take out food? Chinese!
  • What country do you live in? North-West Italy.
  • One really odd fact about yourself? I can\\\'t really play the drums! Oh, and I hate sunflowers.
  • How did you start drumming? I was watching Queen\\\'s Live at Wembley \\\'86, and \\\"We Will Rock You\\\" came up...

Last edited:
How long have i been playing ? I get to fart around with my son's kit when he's not home. So, 3 years i guess.
User name : My wife, her 75 year old mom and i, have all been roadies for him at one point.
Top 5 : hum...Carl Palmer was a big influence for me growing up.The drummer for Alice Cooper in the early 70's ( don't know his name ! ) and i like Neil Peart. Paul Thompson of Roxy Music was also a favorite. Guess that's it.
Drumkit, & cymbals: Pearl VMX, Zildjian cymbals and a brand new Paiste 24 big ride ( love it ! )
I get to play when no one's around, i am NOT in a band, and play whatever i can, trying not to embarass myself too much.
Stuff : I live in Eastern Ontario, Canada.
I first played when i was 14. I was invited to a friend's family summer gathering. I remember a pool party, and a drum kit sitting outside. I sat and played the thing. The kit's owner said i had the hang of it. I think he was being nice. I was hooked, but never got to play again till i was 50.

Last edited:
Real name? Chris Crockett
Age? 32
How long have you been playing? Almost 9 whole months!
Origin of user name? Crockett + Octopus = croctopus.
Your top 5 drummers? ?uestlove, Steve Gadd, Gene Krupa, Jojo Mayer, Clyde Stubblefield
Make of drumkit? Gretsch
Make of cymbal? Zildjian
Where do you practice? My house
Are you in a band? Not yet but I need one
Do you play covers or originals? I guess covers and beats since I'm still learning
What style of music? Anything I can get my hands on and my brain around but I am quiet fond of soul, hip hop and breakbeats.
Favorite take out food? Thai
What country do you live in? USA USA USA
One really odd fact about yourself? I have a tattoo of a croctopus. It's basically my head on an octopus body.
How did you start drumming? I used to play bass so I was always interested in playing rhythms and beats. Some friends and I got really into playing rockband and I was always on drums. My girlfriend took notice of how much fun I had playing drums on rockband so she got me an Astro set for christmas and I started taking lessons with Zickos. The rest is a not too distant history.

Last edited:
croctopus;884871 What style of music? [B said:
Anything I can get my hands on and my brain around but I am quiet fond of soul, hip hop and breakbeats.[/B]
You forgot to mention Reggae.

Re: registration conf. e mail has been delayed

Hi...I registered last week .. 8/25 or 26. I can access the site (log in with my useer name /password) but am not yet able to post a Classified Ad I'd like to. [drum set 4 sale]; I have not yet received the email to let me set it up.

Can you help?

Many thanks

Mike

Real name? Freddy Poncin
Age 40something
How long have you been playing? Started to play kit @ 16.
Your top 5 drummers? Carlton Barrett, Steve Gadd, Manu Katche, Sly Dunbar, Art Blakey
Make of drumkit? PDP FS birch
Make of cymbal? Paiste and Sabian
Where do you practice? My house and at the band's rehearsal room
Are you in a band? Yes, current playing with Grace Barbe Afro Kreol
Do you play covers or originals? Originals and a few covers for sertain gigs
What style of music? Reggae, Afrobeat, funk, Sega, Seggae and a fusion of world music
Favorite take out food? Asian
What country do you live in? Australia
One really odd fact about yourself? I am from Amsterdam :)
How did you start drumming? I used to play congas from the age of 11 and then when I was 16 my neighbor bought a drumkit which ended up in my house as well!

A bit of footage with Grace Barbe at the 2010 Blue Mountains Festival in NSW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn6IySm-Nsg

Last edited:
Gary Rosensweig. Drummer/teacher/author

Good day fellow drummers, my name is Gary Rosensweig. I am a 47 year old drummer in Frederick, Maryland. I have been playing since I was 8, and have had a great time every second behind the kit. Dealing with some egos, club owners, and mild burn out has been challenging, but I wouldn't trade any aspects of the experience. The tough times have made me enjoy playing that much more. And playing great gigs are that much sweeter.

I have degrees in performance, plus have spent years at Drummer's Collective, and Harbor Performing Arts in Harlem.

I am the proud author of The Progressive Drummer Series, which is a 30+ book/CD series covering the A to Z's of drum set education. If you would like to try out samples, as well as free lessons, please go to www.grdrumming.com

I have a teaching practice in Frederick,MD. If you would like to sign up for a lesson or two you can reach me via the website.

Other than that, I have two beautiful children, I love soccer, and I build custom furniture whenever I get the chance.

Have a great day. Thanks for reading!

Real name? Maheshwar singh
Age? 12
How long have you been playing? 6 months
Origin of user name?
Your top 5 drummers? Bob gatzen, Larry mullen jr, neil peart, i cant think of more
Make of drumkit? Pearl
Make of cymbal? zildjian
Where do you practice? used to be my basement before we flooded. now its my living room
Are you in a band? yes
Do you play covers or originals? few U2 covers but mostly original
What style of music? alternative/rock
Favourite take out food? Taco bell
What country do you live in? U.S.A
How did you start drumming? well ive been wanting a drum set for a while and i finally got it. i picked it up really easily because i used to plat the indian instrument called the tablas. ever since then i pick up new things everyday

Back