Please welcome my latest addition.

lsits

Gold Member
The company where I (ostensibly) work announced a couple of weeks ago that we had met our production and quality goals for the last quarter and that we were were eligible for an incentive bonus. As you can guess my GAS started acting up and I got to thinking about obtaining a new snare drum. Long story short here is what I picked up yesterday: a Pork Pie "Cherry Pie" bubinga/cherry 7x13 snare. The pictures don't do it justice.

My other three snares are 5 -5 1/2" deep so I was looking at deeper wooden snares. The problem was that while Guitar Center carries lots of drums online, their in-store selection is not as vast. I had to rely on youtube sound clips. I was torn between the Pearl Omar Hakim signature ($350), the Tama SLP backbeat ($300), and the Gretsch Full Range Walnut ($300). I went to Guitar Center on Wednesday and none of those were in stock. I decided to test drive a few of the ones they had.

To be honest, Pork Pie wasn't even on my radar. I had heard of the company, but didn't know much about them. I tried out three snares that were in my price range and then tried out this bubinga/cherry offering. I kept coming back to this one. I tried it out at different tunings and it sounded great at low, medium, and high tensions.

the kicker was that while this normally sells for $300, it was on sale for $230. That pretty much sealed the deal. I asked my wife if it was in the budget and she gave the ok for me to get it. I had been dropping hints about getting a $300 - $400 snare and I think she was happy that I only spent $230.

The build quality is excellent and the sound just blows me away. I tund it to medium-high tension and got a nice crack and a lot of oomph that was lacking in the other drums I auditioned. That probably has a lot to do with the bubinga.

I think that Pork Pie hit a home run with this one. I'll be experimenting this weekend on finding the sound that works best for me but even off the shelf with the stock heads I am really impressed. I think the sale is only till the end of the month.

OK your snare has been registered, and Grunt or Arky should be getting a welcome package out to you soon, which includes a "Drummers Do It With Rhythm" T shirt, a fairly stupid looking hat, a genuine Dave Weckyl mullet wig, (which is really cool) and a coupon good for 1 free car wash at some place in Florida. :p

I have that same snare in a 7 x 14. Paid 199 about 8 months ago. It may have been used, I forget. I have to check to see if mine is signed. Sonically, mine is on the dry side.

I still don't understand why Pork Pie didn't name their "Pig Lite" snare "The Porky Pig".

you're right, it's 7x14, not 7x13. I'm blaming my fat fingers for that mistake.

Crap, now I have to re-do all the registration paperwork! :) The good news is the welcome package is different for a 14" diameter snare. I think Bernhard throws in an "I love Ringo" key fob. :p

Mine benefited from a die cast batter hoop but I say that about every snare.

First Porky Pig is a registered trademark. Secondly, due to the current economic situation Welcome Packages are only being given away when entire, new drum sets are introduced. Single snares, no matter how great they look, are now considered part of the family unit. I think you will find this to be the case if you read your U.S. Census material a little more closely.

But I promised him....Can't you make an exception? Pretty please? Isits will be SO let down. I'm wearing my Dave Weckyl mullet wig right now and I look like a GOD under it lol.

Thanks guys but I considered my welcome complete when I had the opportunity to meet Bermuda at NAMM in 2013.

Back