Right handed player, left footed pedal.

JeremyS

Mainly done for tom placement. I love it and don't see a change coming any time soon other than a new pedal to replace the PDP half I bought for parts to give this idea a test run.

018.jpg

Pearl Vision VX 905

Red Wine/Black Hardware

8x7, 10x8, 10x8 Rack Toms

12x9, 14x14 Floor Toms

20x18 Bass Drum

Cannon 8x4, 8x6 Concert Toms, Red Wine, Black Hardware

16x16 Groove Percussion left side Floor Tom. Got it for $15 and it actually sounds nice. I'm gonna replace it with a Vision one once I get around to saving the cash, but pedal is a priority.

Late 70s Ludwig Acrolite Snare

Pedal: I'm currently awaiting some special ordered parts to play my Pearl pedals lefty, but for now PDP I converted to a lefty, Eliminator with Red Cam on the right.

Pearl DR-80 Rack, Various Boom Arms, stands and clamps

Cymbals

Zildjian

14" A New Beat Hi-Hats
20" A Medium Ride
15" A Custom Crash
22" A China Boy High
18" A China Boy High
6" Bellish sounding cymbal cut down from a 17" A Medium Thin Crash

Sabian

10" B8 Pro China Splash
17" AAXPlosion Fast Crash
18" SR2 Crash (Pretty sure it used to be an AAXplosion as well)
20" XS20 Medium Ride
14" AA Flat Hats with rivets
16" AA Extra Thin Crash
15" AAXPlosion Crash

Wuhan New Traditional

10 " Splash
8" Splash x2 (1 not mounted)
18" China

Latin Percussion

9" Ice Bell
7" Ice Bell

Paiste

4" 2002 Accent Cymbal (not mounted)

Heads- Evans Onyx over Resonant Glass on the toms, Remo Coated Ambassador over Evans Hazy 300 on the snare, Pearl PMAD :) over the stock reso (ported) on the bass.

Sticks- Pro Mark 707s

I'm left footed & right handed. I taught myself to play bass with my right foot. I have some nice hihat work going on (at least I think so haha) and it helps me keep time pretty good I think. I started playing a kit in 1965.

I'm not sure how you play. Do you play bass with the right foot, using the slave pedal primarly, and hats with the left foot? Or bass and hats with the left foot? Do you cross your right hand over to play hats?

I pretty much play purely right handed, crossing over to play the hats and using the slave as the primary. My feet are close to even, though and I can and often do switch which one I'm playing the bass with during songs. I'm hoping to get my hands as even as my feet eventually.

That is a very interesting idea. I think I'm guna give it a shot and see what happens.

Looks like a great idea. Not so sure i'd use it myself because i'm not so keen on the idea of the slave pedal being my primary, it just doesn't feel as good to me. Maybe it's just because it's different though.

I'm not sure if I follow how you play either, but the title intrigued me because I'm also left footed. I can use both as I need them, but only the left is the instinctive foot - the right I have to think about what it's doing.

My kit is setup a bit differently though.. basically a left handed kit with a right bass drum and hi hat. It is open handed, ride is on the right. Toms roll down to the left thought I'm always fiddling with their placement.

When I'm using a single BD, I use a traditional right footed double bass pedal and have the BD on the right side. The left/slave pedal is the primary pedal. I use a BD->hi hat clamp (like this http://www0.shopping.com/xPO-Pearl-Pearl-HA-100-Hi-Hat-to-Bass-Drum-Attachment - it was a lot cheaper than getting a good lefty DB pedal) so I can keep pedals next to each other.

I'm not sure if I follow how you play either, but the title intrigued me because I'm also left footed. I can use both as I need them, but only the left is the instinctive foot - the right I have to think about what it's doing.

My kit is setup a bit differently though.. basically a left handed kit with a right bass drum and hi hat. It is open handed, ride is on the right. Toms roll down to the left thought I'm always fiddling with their placement.

When I'm using a single BD, I use a traditional right footed double bass pedal and have the BD on the right side. The left/slave pedal is the primary pedal. I use a BD->hi hat clamp (like this http://www0.shopping.com/xPO-Pearl-Pearl-HA-100-Hi-Hat-to-Bass-Drum-Attachment - it was a lot cheaper than getting a good lefty DB pedal) so I can keep pedals next to each other.

So your kit looks like the pic attached?
I really like this idea, didn't Utdrummer do this too?

Bram

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 2,298
Looks like a great idea. Not so sure i'd use it myself because i'm not so keen on the idea of the slave pedal being my primary, it just doesn't feel as good to me. Maybe it's just because it's different though.

It's not really as drastic as you'd think. There is a difference, but it just takes some getting used to and your foot will naturally adjust (at least mine did). I play mostly thrash and old school death metal and there's nothing I could play before that I can't play now.

When I'm using a single BD, I use a traditional right footed double bass pedal and have the BD on the right side. The left/slave pedal is the primary pedal. I use a BD->hi hat clamp (like this http://www0.shopping.com/xPO-Pearl-P...rum-Attachment - it was a lot cheaper than getting a good lefty DB pedal) so I can keep pedals next to each other.
Basically, I play the kit like most other right handed drummers do. I used (actually made out of a righty pedal) the lefty pedal so I could get my toms lower.

What kind of pedal do you have? I've found that there are several pedals out there that are convertible to lefty with a little work and no added parts. Companies don't advertise this because
1. They don't want you taking their pedals apart (and it will likely void any warranty) and
2. They can charge lefties more for no real reason.

Jeremy---hahaha! You go boy! I have played this type setup for over a year now and I actually prefer this over my huge Slingerland kit. The right foot lead bass pedal took about 10 minutes to get used to and the whole kit just flows for me now. The smaller toms I have--8,10,12,14--are tuned to specific notes and are surprisingly deeper than the size would suggest. The only things I'll change one day are the tom batter heads to Evans G2's and I'll get the lefty Taye double pedal due to it's sturdiness and smoothness. Really great pedals for the money. In any case, yeah, enjoy the ride. We can always change up our sets whenever we want. Now go get busy! We have guitar players to impress!

Attachments

• 320leftybopkitget-attachment.aspx.jpg
    320leftybopkitget-attachment.aspx.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 2,852
Finally got around to taking a pic..

000_0042.JPG

Main pedal is on the left, hihat/ride on the right, crash ride on the far left. Weird, but works for me!

I'd really wanna test this concept, but I don't think my DW 5002's are convertable to left footed. I don't wanna buy a left footed pedal that I'm stuck with if i don't like the setup, so I need a convertable one.
At least the Demon Drive and Iron Cobra's are convertable, do you know about other pedals? I notice that "pbassdrums" uses a Pearl Eliminator. Did you buy a right footed pedal, or convert a left footed?

I remember seeing this type of set up in an old Modern Drummer on the "set of the month" last page. This was several years ago and it was a black DW kit if I recall correctly. Looks like an interesting way to go about things.

I actually had a friend who was right handed left footed and played open handed on a left handed kit, now he plays on a right handed kit like these, with bass drum set near the hi hat pedal, but his right foot (where the kick drum would usually be for normal righties) is pedalling the hi hat....some sorta pump action pedal like in utdrummer's picture.

I'm a lefty and I play with this setup, the secondary pedal leading and the kick near the hat, it gives so much more room for the toms and they can be much lower and level.

I am the opposite: left handed and right footed. I play open handed, with the ride just above the hats. Peace and goodwill.

Attachments

• 100_0329.JPG
    100_0329.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 772
Back