Pearl Reference Set with Remo Coated Emperors (video)

SgtThump

Platinum Member
I just finished tuning up my Pearl Reference set and recordied a quick video of me playing around to hear the sounds. I'm using a full set of Paiste Giant Beat cymbals. Would love to hear opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOBxUrXsarg

I have three shell packs and have recently made videos of all three, if you're interested.

Yamaha Live CUstom with Remo Vintage Emperors > http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110753

Vintage Maple Fibes / Corder set with Remo Coated Ambassadors > http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110805

Attachments

• pearl_reference1.JPG
    pearl_reference1.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 615
Last edited:
i think the pearl sounds really good.

are you tuning by ear, tune-bot or drumdial? what are the settings?

My opinion, you tune drums very well. You always seem to have perfectly clean heads too!

They all sound great, and of course you have to love those GB's.

If I'm not mistaken it seemed the Oak Custom were tuned a little to the low side, the Fibes medium and the Reference on the high side.... in a relative way.

If I HAD to pick the best sound for my tastes, it was the Pearls. they had a nice definition and focus to my ears. Its floor tom missed a little bit of gusto on the low end but it looked like a 14, compared to 16's on the other kits.

You're lucky to have such nice gear, do you play it out much?

i think the pearl sounds really good.

are you tuning by ear, tune-bot or drumdial? what are the settings?

I have a drum dial, but ive gone back to tuning by ear. I bet the rension woukd be all whack if I checked them with the drum dial. I cant do that tonight, but maybe another time.

My opinion, you tune drums very well. You always seem to have perfectly clean heads too!

They all sound great, and of course you have to love those GB's.

If I'm not mistaken it seemed the Oak Custom were tuned a little to the low side, the Fibes medium and the Reference on the high side.... in a relative way.

If I HAD to pick the best sound for my tastes, it was the Pearls. they had a nice definition and focus to my ears. Its floor tom missed a little bit of gusto on the low end but it looked like a 14, compared to 16's on the other kits.

You're lucky to have such nice gear, do you play it out much?

Thanks man. I am swapping out heads almost constantly to learn as much as possible. I can go from preferring single ply clear heads one minute to thicker dual ply coated heads the next. Its crazy.

I play in an original alt rock band and we play out a little. Not enough though. Actually, I would probably slow down with gear swapping if we played more. Lol

I alsi have a funk project starting that will hopefully take off.

Thanks for the compliments about my tuning. I mess with it ALOT!

I have a drum dial, but ive gone back to tuning by ear. I bet the rension woukd be all whack if I checked them with the drum dial. I cant do that tonight, but maybe another time.

ah ok. cool let me know when you get the time. they sound good with the emps

ah ok. cool let me know when you get the time. they sound good with the emps

Thanks man. I'll probably have time tonight. But again, I bet the tension reads totally different by each lug on the toms, since I did it 100% by ear. LOL

Back