DW and Self - Ban Requests

JustJames

Platinum Member
This is the only forum I've ever been a member of where members seem to regularly hit themselves in the face with the ban hammer.

Recently another member 'requested a ban'.

WTF?

How is that different from setting your password to a random set of characters? (Type string into Word - other programs are available - copy and paste into new password fields, don't save document. Log out.)

Yes, I know that it's possible to request a password re-set, but it's also possible to create a new account.

Am I the only one to find this an odd thing?

Am I the only one to find this an odd thing?

No.

But not nearly as odd as the "I'm leaving......and here's 45 odd paragraphs explaining why.....whilst secretly hoping you'll all beg me to stay" threads. I've seen a few of those and always found them to be a little melodramatic, OTT and screaming of attention seeking, At least the self imposed exile is a more dignified approach....if not a little strange. Personally speaking, should I ever find I've had enough of the forum then I'd find it easier and far less hassle to just not be here one day. It really is as simple as stopping typing. But clearly not everyone sees it the same way.

Yes.

I admin another board (non music related). We don't ban by request. I've been asked plenty of times, and I always say no.

If you want to stop posting, just stop.

It's presumptuous and a bit rude to make the mod staff have to do it for you.

No.

But not nearly as odd as the "I'm leaving......and here's 45 odd paragraphs explaining why.....whilst secretly hoping you'll all beg me to stay" threads. I've seen a few of those and always found them to be a little melodramatic, OTT and screaming of attention seeking, At least the self imposed exile is a more dignified approach....if not a little strange. Personally speaking, should I ever find I've had enough of the forum then I'd find it easier and far less hassle to just not be here one day. It really is as simple as stopping typing. But clearly not everyone sees it the same way.

Agree 100% mate.
Personally I think it's more of a cold turkey/ addiction thing (ie you won't be tempted to post if you're banned and thus have more time to devote to whatever's going on in your life).
How hard is it to simply stop typing?? Unless you happen to be one of the "forum celebrities"- who's going to notice anyway?

No.

Thanks Jules,I feel exactly the same way.Just don't show up anymore....no explainations or fanfare.Just simply leave and don't come back.Even if you decide to leave and state your reasons for doing so,there will still be speculation and inuendo, as to what your "real" reasons were,or your state of mind,or what or whom caused your departure.

Just slip out the back door,and don't say good bye,because your intentions will never be truly understood anyway.Just my 2 cents.But having said that....this applies to me,and I'll not judge anyone else for what they decide to do.Having been NYPD for over 20 years,I've seen some ......radical human behavior....so to each their own.

Steve B

People who spend massive amounts of time on internet forums often have personal/social issues. If what you read on a drummer forum causes you so much anxiety that you want to be banned from posting on it, then you probably should.

I've seen lots of people on various forums ask for a self ban.

Could be for any number of reasons.

Never done it myself, but it's understandable.

It's arguably much more fun to be banned rather than elect to get banned. Not that I'd encourage anyone to do that of course. Some ex members were experts in getting banned, & strangely, take their place in forum history. No such thing as bad publicity eh!

It's arguably much more fun to be banned rather than elect to get banned. Not that I'd encourage anyone to do that of course. Some ex members were experts in getting banned, & strangely, take their place in forum history. No such thing as bad publicity eh!

Wow....whom ever could that be....prey tell my fine drum making British friend.Not someone of mutual aquaintence,who might possibly know our friend Duncan as well........:):)...I can barely type because of the tears :):)

Steve B

I don't get it either and it seems counter productive since you can just add a new account. ;-) The only thing i can see is that it get publicized and gets attention in either case: banned for misconduct or banned by request.

It just gives folks like GRUNTERSDAD a but of extra work which they do not seem to mind. ;-).

That's why this is a great board!

Could be addiction-related. If you're addicted, somebody cuts you off cold turkey, more acceptable. Yes they can sign up with a new username, but thats an extra step that maybe helps, or cuts off contact neatly for them.

Simply leaving a forum for a regular is pretty aloof. Like hanging out with a bunch of friends and then suddenly disappearing. I think explaining why you are is leaving to those who know and might like you in a final posting is fair enough IMO, especially if you want to make a grizzle about whatever prompted you to leave.

Having yourself banned doesn't make sense because it's just an admin matter of removing access to the user account. Normally the outgoing person is reclassified as "Guest" rather than "Banned", the latter having unwarranted negative connotations.

Normally the outgoing person is reclassified as "Guest" rather than "Banned", the latter having unwarranted negative connotations.

Anyone that leaves ends up as "guest" regardless of whether they jumped or were pushed. The "banned" status only seems to flag for a couple of days before "guest" takes its place.

Back