A new recording - this one's more drummy :)

Anon La Ply

Diamond Member
Collaboration by a friend and me the other week on a wet rainy weekend where we were pretty well trapped in the house, naturally named In the House ... lots of loose, spontaneous drums and very obviously one take :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nBtLY7-YfQ

It started with a crazy 6 bar loop - then drums and percussion jammed over the top of it, then a keys overdub and, finally, bass was dubbed on.

Also a bonus track (haga!) - finally published an old piece called Under the Sea that I made with an ESQ1 sequencer back in 87, with a pretty involved arrangement - so about some of the 80s musical clichés, it was hard to avoid back then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh3lEYXTNxI

Sorry Henri and Madge, who have already checked out the first one.

Sounds fun and spontaneous.

Kinda makes me want to dust off my piano and trumpet and get my multi instrumentalist on.

Also a bonus track (haga!) - finally published an old piece called Under the Sea that I made with an ESQ1 sequencer back in 87, with a pretty involved arrangement - so about some of the 80s musical clichés, it was hard to avoid back then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh3lEYXTNxI

Well, that took me back! Even I recognised some of the influences there! I'm impressed with how slick it all sounds, Grea - no mean achievement, I would imagine, given its complexity.

Sorry Henri and Madge, who have already checked out the first one.

I checked it out again, just for the hell of it because I like it. So there :)

I like both tracks.
They sound organic, create a nice vibe and feel like there's a mature musician behind them. Thumbs up!

loving both, for very different reasons. Your new piece has a fun & slightly dirty/gritty vibe that I like very much. Your piece from 87 is well considered & sets the mood perfectly. Love your playing on this - plenty of space. Was the keyboard player using a DX7 by any chance?

Thanks for the feedback, guys! It's much appreciated.

Andy, with Under the Sea at some stage in the 80s I once borrowed our singer's DX7 for recording but I think this was all done on the ESQ1 because there's occasional tweezing of the attack of a few notes through quantising where I played them a bit too on top of the beat.

By contrast, apart from effects and the 6-bar loop (which actually came from messing around between jams) In the House is pretty organic.

Great stuff, Grea. I liked the comment on the YouTube channel about it having an organic feel...I thought it was an apt description.

Great stuff, Grea. I liked the comment on the YouTube channel about it having an organic feel...I thought it was an apt description.

Thanks Mary. This is the raw loop on which it was based.

In hindsight I think a bridge or variation would have lifted things ... maybe another day ...

Attachments

• 6-bar loop Tim 'rap' 15Nov13.mp3
    164.6 KB · Views: 41
Oh ya! In the house is just too damn funky. I'm really liking that one. Great job!

Under the Sea is a nice melody, but the first three minutes reminds me of some music I'd hear on the phone while I'm waiting on hold for a company's call center representative to pick up and help me.

Thank you for your feedback, Bon. Unfortunately we are experiencing an influx of calls. However, your call is important to us and you will be attended by the first available operator ...

:)

Back