Our 'Other' Drums

Now, the more obscure.

Pic one is my Udu. I got it on a Guitar Center sale.

Two is my Talking Drum, it was fairly cheap from a non music store.

Three is my $12 Remo Doumbek. This is my drum I take anywhere.

Four is my ceramic doumbek.

Five is my Copper Darbuka I got this used with a spare head and carrying case for $80.

Last is my Misc Percussion. Most of which was less than $5 a piece.

The copper darbuka (doumbek?); does remo make any heads that fit it? i was looking at getting that same drum a while back before my funds dried up.

Has anyone tried remo's new synthetic, rope tensioned djembes? I'm thinking about getting some hand percussion (once the money shows up), and i was wondering if these are worth $300.

My dad and I recently made a drum with skin from a deer he killed and a really scraggly hollow log I found in with our fire wood.

I almost forgot; I also have a dried up gourd that I found in the street one day. The only thing left in it are the seeds and the shell has hardened so now its a really awesome shaker.

Last edited:
When we first put the hide one, before it dried, it sounded great. It was really resonant and kinda high pitched. Now that it is fully dry, it still sounds cool but in a really different way. It isn't resonant and is kind of dead sounding. I think it has more to do with the log we used than the hide, but it definitely did stretch out some. Before it was dry, someone took it from me and started playing it pretty hard with a drumstick, and I think that is the main reason it stretched out.

When we first put the hide one, before it dried, it sounded great. It was really resonant and kinda high pitched. Now that it is fully dry, it still sounds cool but in a really different way. It isn't resonant and is kind of dead sounding. I think it has more to do with the log we used than the hide, but it definitely did stretch out some. Before it was dry, someone took it from me and started playing it pretty hard with a drumstick, and I think that is the main reason it stretched out.

It's cool you made your own drum out of something you hunted and a log you worked and you did the project with your dad. You should put up photos of the drum so we can see it - I don't think anyone has every posted anything like that around here.

It's cool you made your own drum out of something you hunted and a log you worked and you did the project with your dad. You should put up photos of the drum so we can see it - I don't think anyone has every posted anything like that around here.
I would but I don't have a camera. When I get one though, I'll post some pictures.

I recently bought a used Cajon, a Schlagwerk Cajon "la perù". Some scratches and dents but in good condition altogether; the front plate and inner mechanisms are still in mint condition. It's a pretty nice instrument, though I am not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to cajons or how to play them. The front plate is glued on at the bottom, but screwed with 5 screws at the top. You can tighten them for more bass or loosen them to hear the front plate slap the rest of the construction. I went for something in between, tightening the middle three and having the outer two somewhat loose so I get a good bass and a nice high-pitched slap when I need one. I'm still experimenting on snare tension to get the sound I want, and on how to properly play it of course.
Pics:

b9asqx.jpg

x6evbq.jpg

fthdec.jpg

r0bg9s.jpg

bim636.jpg

I've got a little percussion stuff:

My original, handcrafted Guinean Djembe:
dscf0096ti8.jpg

And my Majestic bongo's and drumset tambourine:
dscf0094am6.jpg

And usually, this is my practice kit:
dscf0089xw2.jpg

It's made up with:
-Majestic marching snare
-Majestic Bongo's
-Remo large practice pad
-Kings tenordrum with Pearl basspedal
-Meinl cowbell
-Paiste 2000 18'' Crash
-My homemade little tom =D
-And a woodblock on the snare

I only use it for practice at home, when we practice with our band, i use a Pearl export series drumkit =D

Last edited:
Ah, a drummer from Hengelo. That makes you practically my neighbour!
That's a nice little practise set-up you have there. What sizes are they?
Majestic drums are a Dutch brand, aren't they? I played a Majestic kit once, they make good stuff!

I wish I could sleep on my bed like this...
339259065.jpg

339259031.jpg

339258969.jpg

339258941.jpg

339258910.jpg

339258861.jpg

339258730.jpg

339258752.jpg

Could someone tell me that this thing is called?
339258884.jpg

I really should stop referring to it as "That spinny thingy with the little doodads that hit the heads"

[QUOTE}

Could someone tell me that this thing is called?
339258884.jpg

I really should stop referring to it as "That spinny thingy with the little doodads that hit the heads"[/QUOTE]

I know what it is.
It's called a tibetian temble drum.
Priests in Tibet use them when the do religious activities

Ah, a drummer from Hengelo. That makes you practically my neighbour!
That's a nice little practise set-up you have there. What sizes are they?
Majestic drums are a Dutch brand, aren't they? I played a Majestic kit once, they make good stuff!

Bogo's 8'' 10'', snare 14''x6'', tenor 16'', Paiste 2000 18'', homemade like 12'' Practice pad 10''

Ta daaaa! Awesome or what?
PA300436.jpg

Ludwig Finger Drums with a Paiste 1 inch crash!
PA300439.jpg

Back