Keith Moon

• Thread starter tuckerduncan2002
  • Start date
I do not hear sloppy. My generation shows an energetic drum track, that is very well constructed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=594WLzzb3JI

Behind blue eyes, sounds very tasteful and is also very well executed. After a certain degree of experience we think we can play like the maniac Moon and try to duplicate that Moon sound, but overall it is very hard to duplicate his feel.

Moon gave up the high-hat and used his crash cymbals and double bass more then others had at the time. Before Moon the crash cymbal for rock was not used as much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfuWXRZe9yA

In perspective of the era, Moon did very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

Won't get fooled again, is again not sloppy. He has good chops in this song and his fills aer a good use of the crashes and are very well executed. He has some good fills and shows some good drumming.

I am not even an ultimate Keith Moon fanatical fan, I am just a fellow drummer who notices his contribution to the art.

The top rock drummers at the time were Ginger Baker, Bill Brufrod, Charlie Watts, John Bonham, Carl Palmer, Ian Palce, Carman Appice, Mitch Mitcheal, and Ringo Star. Yet Moon's work at the time had a unique phrasing that has inspired drummers to the present. Moon was not the greatest drummer. I am not sure if there ever will someone to hold that title, but Moon did very well and gave us all a new way to look at the art of drumming.

Example?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You know, now you've asked me to find some - I can't. I distinctly remember seeing more than one video from post-1975 where Keith is obviously off his face and his time being altered as a result.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's all a figment of my own biased listening.

I love Keith, I love The Who. 'Discipline' was never a word that I would associate with The Who but that just adds to how great they were.

You know, now you've asked me to find some - I can't. I distinctly remember seeing more than one video from post-1975 where Keith is obviously off his face and his time being altered as a result.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's all a figment of my own biased listening.

I love Keith, I love The Who. 'Discipline' was never a word that I would associate with The Who but that just adds to how great they were.

Nah, I'm being a pill, I know it. It's just this: I don't see what's accomplished in pointing out Keith Moon's deficiencies. I don't understand the detractors, and I really don't understand the haters. I don't understand the mean minded people who only want to talk about his addictions. Shame on them.

Keith Moon is one of the great rock drummers in the history of rock drumming. He was a genius. Let's accept him as such, enjoy him as such, and be very glad that there was a band called the Who that played the music it did because it had the musicians it did, one of whom was the inimitable Keith Moon.

I love Keith Moon.

Keith Moon lives!

Last edited:
He was a crazy, zef man.

Had goldfish in his kit once and his 'excuse' was, "even the best drummers get 'ungry".

He seemed to make a point of putting cherry bombs or something in his kit and once he put a bit too many which resulted in one of the guitar people to have a piece of cymbal extracted from his head and the other was deaf in one ear

he had a few instructors as a child but did not care much for lessons ....and once attempted a lesson with Philly Joe Jones ....which is a quite funny story for another day

So how about that story? Anybody?

Something to do with Philly Jo seeing him play and asking how much he makes as a working musician playing like that. Upon finding out, he shook his head, handed him back his sticks and says something like "I sure as hell don't want to spoil it for you"

Philly Joe Jones, the great jazz drummer, was in London, I can't remember why, and somehow he ended up being in the same room with Keith Moon and a drum kit. So Philly asks Moon to show him what he can do, and Keith Moon sits down at the kit and proceeds to play the way that Keith Moon played the drums.

After he's finished, Philly asks him how much he makes playing the drums, and Keith Moon tells him. Philly whistles in amazement, and says, "Well, I sure don't want to spoil it for you."

I bet in studio recordings, there were lots of takes and overdubs..one of the reasons he wont play the same way everytime...but one thing is sure..there has never been a drummer like Keith Moon ever.........................all play technically.

I like Charley Watts playing in "sway", the dirtiest Charley Boy ever!

I don't really rate Keith Moon as a drummer. I think for the time period he appeared he was seen as an absolute mentalist behind the kit, but in terms of his actual playing style, I think it was more flamboyancy than anything.

The fact the guy was smacked off his tits for pretty much every playing scenario he was in probably also contributed towards his OTT playing style.

I must admit, I do think the visual aspect of drumming the 90% of pop music fans is more important than the actual drumming itself, Keith Moon is a prime example of this.

Apologies to anyone who is a massive fan, The Who had been and gone waaaay before I was born.

I enjoy the "what if" discussions. I believe that if Moonie had lived, he would have gotten kicked out of The Who during the tour to support Who Are You? The road just held too many temptations. Everyone in the band was fed up with Keith at that point, and I doubt that he would have changed his behavior to keep his job even though he often stated that he was the Who's "biggest fan".

Keith may have cleaned his act up (and he was trying at the time of his death), just because he was getting older. If he cleaned up, I think he would have been a fantastic comedian, maybe even having his own late night talk show.

I don't know how a sober Keith Moon would have sounded with The Who. Their music was changing in the late 70's, and Kenney Jones proved that the new material didn't really require any Keith Moon style drumming. At that point, Pete was saving his best material for his solo projects anyhow. It would have been interesting to see a 55 year old Keith Moon reunite with the rest of the Who for their tours in the early 00's before John died. I think he would've done it, and probably surprised an entire generation who only knew him from "Late Night with Moon".

Anyhow, I think Moonie was a brilliant musician, and impossible to imitate. I especially like his work on Rock n Roll Circus, Who's Next, and Quadrophenia.

I find his playing to be really distracting. There are many times when I listen to Who songs and I want to cringe after the hundredth roll down the toms. Guys like Keith are why other musicians assume any idiot can play the drums. Its the Animal mentality that anybody can beat on things with sticks.

Maybe its one of those "you had to be there" kind of things, but I really dont get it.

wow, many Moon fans here, and they are probably 10 times better drummers than I am, so I'll just shut up lol.

...or not.
he was sloppy and I don't get the hype *runs away*

Keith Moon playing is beautiful and totally free.- Tony Williams

... the rest are just sad little buzzes complaining that Moonie´s playing was sloppy!

Back