John Otto

I may well get shot down very quickly here, but I'm surprised John Otto hasn't already got a thread. OK, later Limp Bizkit stuff was god awful, but has anyone heard their 1st album? His intro on 'Stalemate' is incredible and there is loads of great drumming throughout the album.
He was originally a jazz player before going the way of rock and his influences really come through that record. Shame Fred Durst started chasing the $$$...

I think he's a brilliant drummer. The first song i heard by them was My Generation. I was blown away by the power of the groove and the bass drum pattern i said to myself i must learn that. I'm not so keen on Limp Bizkit now but i know for a fact that he is a brilliant drummer. As for being shot down, this is a community of drummers i mean Meg white has a thread in here man lol extreme simplicity aint exactly my thing but everyone has different thoughts and opinions, this is only one of them.

Oh yeah man, Otto's got some great skills. In my opinion he's one of the better drummers from that whole, Korn, Limp Bizkit, etc. scene.

I've seen an interview with Mr. Otto. He had a big emphasis on jazz drumming. Especially on the Wilcox Rudiments book. Its a darn shame he didn't get more light. He was an owsome drummer. He could have done alot with other musicians as well. He had a beautiful kit.

I'm not gona lie he was one of influences. To bad he floded.

I always liked John Otto great groove & time,

Too bad he looks 12 yrs. old LOL

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

John Otto was part of what inspired me to play the drums back when I was 13 years old (2002-2003. I allready had an impulse to play the drums, but this guy made that impulse stronger.) I thought he was awesome. His drumkit and style were awesome, he sounded very groovy compared to most rock drummers. I couldn't play the drums until now, thought.

Now that I think about it, maybe it was this guy who made Limp Biskit sound more groovy than most rockbands of that time. ¿Where else did the groove come from?

Now that I'm 21 and I have finally studied some durmming... I still think John Otto is an awesome drummer. Great groove, great kit. He has a nice style.

I don't know what happened to him. Why nobody gave him more recognition?

I'm trying to cover one of his songs right now and I'm just killing myself trying to emulate his feel.. He did something really special on 'significant other'. So tight and precise with his broken patterns and paradiddle beats.

I think Otto is a cool drummer.

I have seen some of his tuition videos that have been knocking about though, must say they were pretty terrible. Timing was sloppy etc. With the band he was awesome though

Back