Finally! Bo's Pearl Reference Pure video!

Very nice kit. Pearl really got my attention when they came out with those. Your playing is great too. I think I'll keep my hats where they are though.lol.

Very nice kit. Pearl really got my attention when they came out with those. Your playing is great too. I think I'll keep my hats where they are though.lol.

You really oughta' give it a try though. I had my reservations at first and then after a bit of soul searching, tried it. So far so good!

Thanks all for giving it a listen - I did some spring cleaning and cleared up my little practice studio so I'll be able to freely work on stuff I've been wanting to put up on YouTube. Now hopefully I'll be able to find the time ;)

Bo, I have internet coming in 10 days. Will check it then. So sorry I have been unable to view youtube. Am looking forward to hearing you play.

Everything sounds great! How would you describe the projection of the hats? They seem a little soft, and I wonder if that's because they're lighter than "real" hi-hats would be.

Hey thanks for still watching! It's nice to know people really like it ;)

Anyway, the projection of the "phat hats" is actually softer and less cutting. But I've discovered that I like that. When I'm really laying into them on a groove, if I used my regular hats (14 or 15 New Beats), I'd have to lay back to balance those in with the rest of the kit - they happen to occupy that frequency range where nothing else is (like piccolos in a marching band) so when I lay in to those, they really can obliterate everything else. With the thinner 17 phat hats, I can lay in to them, and they blend nicely, especially with the bass drum, and that's really what I'm going for.

Of course, as the situation calls, I can use my regular hats too, especially in a big band situation where that 2&4 'chick' is so important.

But for my normal, everyday groove playing, the backbeat of 2 & 4 is king, and I want people to get the time from the entire instrument, and not just the hi hats. I love it. The fact that it helps me to eliminate having a separate crash cymbal is an added bonus.

Now as an update - be aware that I'm now getting into using black dots on everything, and my new front head is a black dot with a small 4" port cut in to the front (the batter is a new Remo CS black dot PS3 head (it's a regular clear black dot with the powerstroke muffling ring built-in - very nice). So my wonderful open bass drum tone has gone away in favor of a muffling pillow, with a Shure SM91A flat mic inside. I've decided if I want that wide-open rock n roll bass drum, that's why I have my Ludwig classic maples with the 14x24 bass drum! But this Pearl still sounds pretty good without muffling, with the port on the front. Maybe I can go back and forth - but I plan to record the Pearls alot more.

The SSC snare goes well with your setup. Did you get a chance to play a Session kit when you were getting the Pearl VIP tour at NAMM?

I got to check out the SSC kit, but Mr. Packard said it was imperative I see the Reference Pures. He was right ;)

And besides, everything was set-up right-handed. So I couldn't really play anything, nor did I want to with the players that were in the room already. I was happy to just float around and gawk at stuff. They did have on display that 16x16 wooden hooped concert/civil war type snare that sounded very cool.

Back