Drum Room Remodel

B

BigSteve

So I've been busting my @ss for the last couple of months on my garage/drum room. Too much sound was getting into the house and annoying the wife...never a good situation, even with a very understanding spouse. This is not up to BrundleFly specs but it has turned out nicely and both of us are pretty happy with the results. Still a small amount of work to do but finished enough that I can show it. http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c8/Str8ntru01/Drum%20Room%20Remodel/

Looks great - thanks for sharing Steve.

What size is the space?

Thanks guys! The garage is roughly 10' wide and 18' deep, 9' ceiling. I did put seals on the garage door trim but it's not air tight. I plan on building an outer door keeping the roll up in place. We are on a corner lot so only one neighbor next to us. I've been playing in this space for years now with no complaints from the neighbors but trying to make it better anyway.

Yes, very secure. The garage door is locked from the inside. The door to the room from the inside has a deep deadbolt and a handle lock.

I've got to say something about the Green Glue used inbetween the layers of sheetrock. I read tons of articles on this stuff and other solutions prior to purchasing because I was skeptical about it. It was expensive for one, just under $1000 US for the 6 cases of glue and the case of sealant, but the stuff works!

I added two layers of 5/8" sheetrock to all walls and ceiling. On the back of each sheet of rock I applied 2 tubes of Green Glue. Once the first layer was up I sealed all of the seams using acoustic sealant. Then added the second layer of sheetrock and Green Glue. The second layer was then taped and textured prior to painting. Once again, this worked wonders reducing the amount of sound that escaped the room, so much so that the room was really "live" inside, like an echo chamber. The sound panels have calmed it down considerably. I didn't want to completely deaden the room so some of the surfaces weren't treated.

Last edited:
Yes, very secure. The garage door is locked from the inside. The door to the room from the inside has a deep deadbolt and a handle lock.

I've got to say something about the Green Glue used inbetween the layers of sheetrock. I read tons of articles on this stuff and other solutions prior to purchasing because I was skeptical about it. It was expensive for one, just under $1000 US for the 6 cases of glue and the case of sealant, but the stuff works!

I added two layers of 5/8" sheetrock to all walls and ceiling. On the back of each sheet of rock I applied 2 tubes of Green Glue. Once the first layer was up I sealed all of the seams using acoustic sealant. Then added the second layer of sheetrock and Green Glue. The second layer was then taped and textured prior to painting. Once again, this worked wonders reducing the amount of sound that escaped the room, so much so that the room was really "live" inside, like an echo chamber. The sound panels have calmed it down considerably. I didn't want to completely deaden the room so some of the surfaces weren't treated.

When you say 2 tubes on each sheet...are we talking standard 4x8' sheets? That seems like a ton of glue. Is that the recommended amount?

I ask b/c I want to build a quiet room when we buy a new house.

Hi Mark,

I was right in the middle of their recommeded amount. A "heavy" application would have been three tubes per 4' X 8' sheet....really after putting this stuff on, I think that would have been overkill. The minimum amount they recommeded is one tube per 4' X 8' sheet.

Lol! Thanks..didn't mean to show mama's car! That's her baby.

Steve, nice job! How easy was it to make and hang the sound panels, and what is the material you put inside them?

Thanks

Hi HMNY,

Not hard at all. The material inside is Owens Corning 703...rigid fiberglass insulation that is 24" wide and 48" long by 2" deep. You can buy this stuff by the box, (box of 6 panels) for around $70 to $80 a box. I made 1" x 2" frames just slightly larger than the fiberglass panels to give a tapered look to the panel when wrapped.

Once the frame is made I used muslin fabric to back the frame. The fabric covering is a Guilford of Maine product I purchased from http://www.fabricmatestore.com/c-7-guilford-of-maine.aspx

There is less expensive fabric available, but I wanted the panels to look nice. The material I bought is the FR 701 panel fabric.

It takes just less than a yard of covering fabric per 24" x 48" x 2" panel. I would lay the covering fabric on the table. Put the fiberglass panel on top, then the frame on top of the panel and staple the covering fabric to the frame. There is a good video tutorial of how it's done here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyYUpkpL0gw I made the smaller bass traps by cutting one 24" x 48" fiberglass panel in half making a 12" x 48" x 4" bass trap. Those are the panels in black.

That garage door looks insulated, so you should be OK. Ya may wanna bash away while a few friends stand outside at different distances to check the volume. If it's tolerable (in my definition not being able to hear you play from INSIDE a neighbors home) then I wouldn't bother building anything in front of that garage door. I've seen a few people do that only to regret it should the door need repair/replacement in the future. I just decided that I'm gonna hang a packing blanket in front of the window in my drum room to help deter the sound. I've had NO complaints since I brought my drums indoors.

Like any work in progress I needed to add some finishing touches. One of them was a nice gift from my sister.

100_0208.jpg
[/IMG]

Next was to hang the last couple of sound panels and wall mount the flat panel between them to give me room on my desk.

100_0210.jpg
[/IMG]

Finished for now and the room sounds pretty decent!

100_0212.jpg
[/IMG]

Back