Drumming plateau, discouragement, insatiable

bearblastbeats

Welp, yet another break-up with a band.

My most recent effort at a band lasted only a matter of months this time around. Original guitarist wasn't feeling it and left, then newer guitarist moved to Portland, Maine to join an more established band.

I'm not sure if its my age (26) but, I don't have much interest playing with what is going on in the "scene" around here (New England) which is mostly generic hardcore or noisy metal/metalcore. I don't feel to up to snuff playing covers or maybe i just don't want to? (as my brother who is 39 is doing currently and has suggested to me).

I like to play original music, but I want it to have a classic, prog rock feel to it (with out having to play those covers of Led Zep and Rush and what have you).

I feel discouraged and insatiable and think I should just take a break?

trying to not sound like a complainy pants. hahaha

As a modest first poster here, I would advise the same as your brother: try to play covers of bands that you like. That will keep your chops up to speed while something more along your line comes up, while still allowing you to meet new musicians which would be more inclined to play what you like to play.

Buying some time while playing music you actually enjoy listening to? I do not see anything wrong with that.

As a modest first poster here, I would advise the same as your brother: try to play covers of bands that you like. That will keep your chops up to speed while something more along your line comes up, while still allowing you to meet new musicians which would be more inclined to play what you like to play.

Buying some time while playing music you actually enjoy listening to? I do not see anything wrong with that.

With respect...

I think playing covers if you don't WANT to play covers is one of the most soul destroying things you could do as a drummer.

We're all different o' course, but I've been there, done that and I HATED it.

Gave up drums for the next 8 years after walking out on that band, I was so fed up.

With respect...

I think playing covers if you don't WANT to play covers is one of the most soul destroying things you could do as a drummer.

We're all different o' course, but I've been there, done that and I HATED it.

Gave up drums for the next 8 years after walking out on that band, I was so fed up.

I have no problem jamming other peoples songs, but I do feel the same about soul crushing.

Getting together with others and finding chemistry through songs we know is one thing, but to go to a live audience and play them is another. My brother and my father (before he passed) run "hoot" or open mic nights. I've been to plenty of them but never sat in myself.

the three of us are all drummers and I've been playing for well over a decade myself. I know tons of Zep songs, old metallica, slayer, pantera, even modern stuff like Black Crows and Foo Fighters.

Maybe I have a mental wall about it. If i were to practice with a particular set of people before an open mic would be one thing, but just going up and winging it doesnt sit right for me.

Back