Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Introduce Yourself

Hey Folks! Just found this forum tonight through a fellow drummer.

real name? Barry
age? 40+
how long been playing? 30+ years
origin of user name? company name
top 5 drummers? Carter Beauford, Steve Gadd, Todd Suchermann, Scott Rockenfield, Scott Rockenfield, etc.....
make of drumkit? Pearl
make of cymbal? Istanbul Agop & Alchemy Professional
where do you practice? Own Studio
are you in a band/s? Several
covers or originals? Mostly Original
what style of music? Rock
favourite take out food? Sushi
country? Yuchhh.....the music that is. USA !
one really odd fact about yourself? Medically speaking?
how did you start drumming? Just came naturally when I was about 7 years old. Started professionally right around 21. Now semi-retired.

Pro Drummer

Beginning at age 6, these drums had me fascinated, I used to visit a friend/neigbors house every day just to get the chance to get on those drums. I'd beat on any and everything in the house. At age 8, my older sister took me to the music store and brought me a drum kit. Every oppurtunity I'd get to roadie around with any of the neigborhood bands I would, and would sit right behind the drummers throne and absorb. With no formal musical trainnig, my playing became noticeable and I was much sought after, getting gigs everywhere- The Church, Partys, ParkConcerts, and even Clubs. At age 14 my mother set me up to study with Mr. Walter Perkins of Jamaica Queens N.Y. Thanks Mom, Dad, Sis, and Fam. The rest is history.

how long been playing: 2 years

origin of user name: hmmmm.....

top 5 drummers: Neil Peart, Stewart Copeland, Chad Smith, Longineu Parsons, Thomas Lang

make of drumkit: PREMIER

make of cymbal: Zildjian

where do you practice: my basement!

are you in a band/s: unfortunately not yet...gotta start hanging around the right crowd!

covers or originals: well it would be covers

what style of music: funk, jazz, punk, straight-up rock!

favourite take out food: chinese/italian

one really odd fact about yourself: pppsshheww i speak russian...and play kit w/ traditional grip (a dying art) ;-)

how did you start drumming: This'll sound strange, but I was hooked right after I saw the movie "School of Rock" w/ Jack Black....in fact on the way home from the theatre I asked my mom for lessons!

real name? Ryan Torgerson

age? 28

how long been playing? 24 yrs

origin of user name? intials

top 5 drummers? Buddy Rich,Neil Peart, Keith Moon, Louie Bellson, Thomas Lang. And a 1000 others

make of drumkit? Yamaha, Slingerland and Ludwig

make of cymbal? Paiste, Zildjian, Sabian

where do you practice? At home in a little room in my basement.

are you in a band/s? Yes, Three Beers tii Dubuque is my main gig but I get calls every once and a while.

covers or originals? Both

what style of music? Funk R&B, Swing , Rock

favourite take out food? Italian

country? U.S

one really odd fact about yourself? I really am a nice guy

how did you start drumming? My Uncle Scott played and he got me started at age 4

real name? nick hatfiel

age? 16

how long been playing? 6 years

origin of user name? peanut butter

top 5 drummers? rich, peart, moon, barker, cool.

make of drumkit? pacific

make of cymbal? Paiste, Sabian

where do you practice? my bedroom and "studio" (a closet with studio foam)

are you in a band/s? yes 1 and a few in the works

covers or originals? both

what style of music? anything

favourite take out food? chineese

country? U.S.

one really odd fact about yourself? im nice

how did you start drumming? pots and pans when i was a wee little fella and my friend gave me his kit when i was 10

Hello from VSD!

Checking in on this forum and trying to get a feel for it. Just wanted to say Hey! to all of the Drummers in the world at any age.

I have been playing for almost 30years and amassed a very large collection of vintage drums and memorabilia.

I don't play as much, so I fill my time collecting and selling vintage drums and literature.

If anyone has a question on that order I can probably answer it.

Thanks
VSD

Re: Hello from VSD!

Hi VSD

Welcome on board. I love vintage drums .... hope from time to time you show us some

Bernhard

Just saying hello!

Hello All, :)

Just wanted to say hello to everyone here. Bernhard I think you have and continue to do an amazing job on this complete site. I know how much time it takes to create and up keep a site like this. Great work my friend!

A little about myself; I started playing the "air drums" ;) when I was just five after seeing KISS for the first time on TV. The drummer just captivated me and I was hooked. Every song I could listen to I would try and find the drums in it and copy it to the best of my imagination. Eventually I got a real bass pedel, I was so tickled pink of that I thought I was playing the big time (As billy would say ;)) Later on, on my 8th birthday I got a real kiddie drum set, I played with it for about 1 week and the skins broke on me, so back to my trusty air drums. When I turned 14 I got a bitter-sweet present from my dad. I got the real thing this time, a full fleged drum set. Unfortunately a few days later my dad died in a car crash (Which could have been because of his bad heart.) hence bitter-sweet gift. All of my feelings and energy went into that drum set. My favourites, Bonaham, Phil Colins, and Neil Pert. I managed to intertwine all of their styles in with mine and I was off. When I turned 19 I had to move away from Montreal and couldn't bring my drums with me and so one thing led to another, years past without playing and just resently I got another set. I did some work for a guy and we traded, work for the drums. I think I got the better deal. ;)

Anyways, so all this to say who I am and why I'm here. I've looked around the internet and found some good spots for lessons to get back into it, been practising for the last three years but mostly resent. The drum set has grown in that time to double so now I'm up to a 12 ps w/dbass. The last little while I've really gotten the bug again and it's time to get my skills back. And it's such a dam good stress releaver!! |-))) So that's me in a nutshell. Hope to get a lot of good friends from here that have the same passion as I do, and from the looks of it, I think I did. :) Later guys and gals.

Re: Hello from VSD!

No problem, here is a set that I have had for many years.

It is a Slingerland Blue Agate 1973 Niles Badge Jazz Set

slingerland_set_thumb2.jpg

Or how about this really cool and rare item:

krupa_pin.jpg

This is a Gene Krupa Pin from the 50's

David

hi

]real name?dany
age?18
how long been playing? 9 years
origin of user name? my nickname
top 5 drummers? vinnie collaiuta, dave weckl., ackira jimbo, phill collins, buddy rich
make of drumkit? pearl export
make of cymbal? Zildjian z custom( hi hat, crash , crash , splash, china , ride)
where do you practice? at home
are you in a band/s? i am making one
covers or originals? originals
what style of music? fusion and funk rock
favourite take out food? vietnamese
country? Lebanon ( where there has been protests and changing of the govermnent for the past 6 months)
one really odd fact about yourself? i have been diabetic since i was 5
how did you start drumming? when i was 8 i lied to a bunch of older guys in my school that i was a good drummer, they didn't believe me and started making fun of me so i bought a drumset and i started practising[/SIZE]

Greetings all!

real name? Jeff
age? 48
how long been playing? 41 years
origin of user name? My vintage set. (see Your Gear: '67 Rogers Monster)
top 5 drummers? Rich, Cobham, Peart, Collins, Bozzio
make of drumkit? Rogers
make of cymbal? Zildian, Sabian, Paiste, Wuhan
where do you practice? Spare bedroom
are you in a band/s? Not presently but would like to be.
covers or originals? no preference
what style of music? Name it!! If I’m stroking the skins and getting paid, I’ll play Happy Birthday all night long. I get paid extra to NOT sing.
favourite take out food? Filet 'o fish and a quarter pounder with cheese, vanilla shake... Damn! Now I'm hungry.
country? USA
one really odd fact about yourself? I write poetry.
how did you start drumming? My parents took me to the circus at six years old. We sat right next to the band and I was more infatuated by the guy hitting all the shiny and noisy things in front of him than anything going on in the three rings. That one day changed my life forever.

Cheers!

real name? Rob
age? 24
how long been playing? About 13 years, but only off and on in the last few.
origin of user name? I play bass (4 strings mainly) and drums so..fourstringdrums :)
top 5 drummers? Steve Gadd, Clyde Stubblefield, Jabo Starks, Benny Benjamin, Uriel Jones
make of drumkit? Yamaha Oak Custom
make of cymbal? Zildjian
where do you practice? In my basement practice area
are you in a band/s? No
covers or originals? n/a
favourite take out food? chinese
country? USA
one really odd fact about yourself? I'm a disabled drummer
how did you start drumming? Got into back in elementary school watching other drummers at "jam sessions" we'd have before school. Between that, mtv, and my sisters drumming b/f at the time, I was dragged in :)

real name? Mario
age? 19
how long been playing? about 3 years and when i was a kid for maybe year
origin of user name? my name...
top 5 drummers? John Bonham, Vinnie Colaiuta, Jimmy Chamberlin, Carter Beauford, Dave Abbruzzese, and i just saw the Nathaniel Townsley video, i really dig that guy
(these are just personal favorites, not based on skill but style)
make of drumkit? Pearl Masters MMX
make of cymbal? Paiste 2002's
where do you practice? BC classroom
are you in a band/s? yes
covers or originals? origionals
favourite take out food? chinese
country? USA
one really odd fact about yourself? i have two moms (yes moms, not toms)
how did you start drumming? one of those pots an pans cases (yes, till i was 16)

real name? Gabriel
age? 20
how long been playing? a year or so
origin of user name? Mix up of All Capone and my own name:) for no obvious reasons
top 5 drummers? Steve Gadd, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Jerzy Piotrowski (PL), Vinnie Colaiuta and that's for Jazz, my top 5 rockn'metal are Joey Jordison, Derek Roddy, Dave Grohl, John Dolmayan and Joey Castello...
make of drumkit? Gretsch BlackHawk (standard set)
make of cymbal? Zilidian ZBT kit + ZXT fast splash 10''
where do you practice? My house
are you in a band/s? kind of... had a band but it fell up, now i just have a buddy from my neighbourhood who plays guitar, we are working on obtainig bass and vocal to start a new group.
covers or originals? so far covers and spontainous improvs
what style of music? stone rock, jazz, trash metal (that one's just fun to play after a hard day- it's not my kind of music though...)
favourite take out food? pizza! got to get more pizza!!!
country? Poland a land of thousand (im)possibilites...
one really odd fact about yourself? dunno - living on the boarder of civilization counts?
how did you start drumming? Woke up and had an idea: "hey, why not become a drummer?", then it whent qouite smoothly...

Real name - Michael Lehnertz.

Age - 39.

How long been playing - 30 years.

Origin of user name - Duh...

Top 5 drummers - Vinnie. Virgil. Simon Phillips. Buddy Rich. Jeff Porcaro. So many others that I like and respect (Weckl, Jonathan Mover, Omar Hakim, Gregg Bisonette).

Make of drum kit - Yamaha Recording Series Custom. Ludwig standard 5 pc. Yamaha electrics w/ Roland R8M guts.

Make of cymbal - Zildjian & Sabian, but really whatever sounds good.

Where do you practice - I have a room dedicated to drums.

Are you in a band(s) - No longer. Freelance.

Covers or originals - Whatever pays.

What style of music - Big band, rock, R&B, classical, whatever...

Favorite take out food - Pizza.

Country - USA/Rhode Island

One really odd fact about yourself - 3.

How did you start drumming - When I was a kid I could hear the local drum and bugle corps practicing on Saturday mornings and Tuesday evenings. I could always hear the drums over the distance and I loved the cadences. I then managed to get permission to travel to where they were practicing and I'd watch the practices. I was hooked.

real name? Nick Lucero (OR "Bumblebee" as I'm known locally for whatever reason)

age? 22

how long been playing? 12 years

origin of user name? Not really sure...Just kind of a play on words I used to sign all my papers with back when I was an English Major.

top 5 drummers? Vinnie Colauta, Ari Hoenig, Dave Weckl, Peter Erskine, Carter Beauford (though picking 5 is a super injustice..and I wouldn't swear by this list in court)

make of drumkit? Yamaha Maple Customs

make of cymbal? Zildjian (but there's beautiful cymbals made by a lot of companies)

where do you practice? Home/College/Guitarist's Studio

are you in a band/s? "The Figgie Pudding" a VERY tenatively named band that my guitarist (Blue Jay) and my bass player came up with..mostly the bass player. Also "Synesthesia" a different band with the same guitarist and several others...we're currently very new to playing with each other but I expect some GREAT stuff once everyone gets back from vacations, etc. and we actually start working together (yes...we're THAT new to each other). Mostly though, I'm known a "hired gun" type locally. I get calls all the time from local musicians that need a drummer for recording or gigging...or bands that need me to replace their drummers for certain gigs, etc. People know me as someone that's professional, focused, can get the job the done, and most importantly, do a GOOD job with whatever type of music that's thrown at me.

covers or originals? A hearty mix of both...for most "gigs" around here, covers are the only thing that fly, but there's nothing I love more than doing originals. There's somehting completely freeing about being to play to a song that has never been put to drums. It's the only thing we musicians really have that compares to a "blank canvas" and I for one, LOVE laying down some "fresh paint".

what style of music? All kinds...I've played in straight shout church bands, classic rocks bands, big bands, three piece jazz groups, funk, heavy metal, and yes..even contry bands. There's no music out there that I don't think isn't worth at least trying to play at least once. You learn from EVERYTHING.

favourite take out food? Umm...Pizza is the universal food. You can get anything on it. My favorite was from this super hip place where I grew up called "Milan's Brick Oven", it was a chicken, potatoe, onion pizza. Sounds wierd...but it was delicious. R.I.P. to that pizza place...I found out that it's recently closed it doors.

country? USA

one really odd fact about yourself? When I was very, very young, I had an accident with my left hand and a lawnmower...sound crappy? ...I had no idea just HOW lame. My finger nearly got cut off..and apparently there was a lot of nerve damage in that hand. My right hand technique involves a lot of finger work for finesse and speed...but my left hand literally CAN'T work the same way. I've spent of my drumming life having to develop and use a more moellerish technique to use with my left hand. ...super lame.

how did you start drumming? I played sax in my junior high band..and we played "Wipeout"...and for some reason, I kept watching the drum solo. I kept thinking to myself "You know what...I can do that. It's just one hand..then the other!" So I made the band director let me try it out on the quads...and BAM. Wipe Out. First try. From there on it was just a matter of finding out as MUCH about drums as possible...my first big inspiration was Dave Weckl...Imagine me...a kid who had never even SEEN a drumset hearing "Hard Wired" for the first time. I heard one of his solos...and I was completely hooked. The rest, as they say, is history! (well...history being a REALLY relative term...Hopefully i'm more of a "work in progress" !!)

real name? Alfredo "Billy or Freddy" Watkins
age?12
how long been playing?' bout a year
origin of user name? The answers above or below answer this one..
top 5 drummers?For Rock, Alex Van Halen, John Bonham, Sean Kinney, Gregg Bissonette (he's everything though really) and of course Jimmy Chamberlin. For Jazz, Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Gadd, Dave Weckl,
make of drumkit? PDP
make of cymbal? Pearl
where do you practice? In my room
are you in a band/s? Sorta..my friend's like to play along with me.
covers or originals? Both. I write songs of my own, but like to play other people's tunes.
what style of music? All. Not one bit of music I dun' like. Although, most of all Rock of all sorts, and Jazz of all sorts.
favourite take out food? Pizza. For some reason it seems, all us drummers like Pizza. Well, I love Maxwell Street's Pizza, which is a lil' shop over here. Great Pizza. And anyone who calls Pizza Hut pizza doesn't know Pizza. If I'm not a drummer for a job, I'll be a pizza tester, and show people what good pizza is. Lol, there was this one time, I went to Utah, and there was this Pizza Place I went to. And the waitress was so nice...and she said before we ordered that, "This will be the best pizza you have ever tasted", and well, it was some nice cheese, bread, with some crummy lunchables sauce. Then I asked her where she lived, and she told me she had moved to Utah from Ohio. LOL! No offense to Ohio, but she wouldn't be the person to judge what the best pizza ever is. haha!
country?U.S of .A.
one really odd fact about yourself? I have this really weird OCD, with really weird symptons.
how did you start drumming?Alex Van Halen got me into it, with the song "Jump". I'd still be on the saxophone, or couch if it weren't for him. And I'm not saying either of those are bad things.

Hi there

Hi, I'm some what new here, been playin for little over 2 years (come a long way) and live north of detriot, michigan. I'm not a white stripes fan...My kit is a percussion plus with paiste cymbals and just freshly almost tuned. I'm looking at a Mapex mabye for my next set I'm not sure yet. So that's that.

Last edited:
Re: Hi there

Welcome to the forum...it's nice meeting you....my name is Tyler and I am nine...been playing for seven years now....I hope to be able to play for many more years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back