What got you started playing drums?

Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

Wow yah this question caught my eye pretty fast.

What got me playing? Gosh, when i was younger i would bang on stuff like no other.

I'd just go around hitting quaker oats boxes, hitting tables, hitting books with my pencils, pots, pans, whatever... I am not from a rich family or even remotely financially stable family so i wasn't about to ask for drums... but after years of this behavior, i finally just kinda mentioned how much i'd want drums. And i went on and on about it. One christmas, it finally came true. I guess they really hated my stealing the oatmeal container and the mash potato pot.

... the joke was on them though, our house is small and when i started, i obviously just sounded annoying behind the kit. They were always telling me to stop drumming. Then i did drumline, drum corps, years of kit experience from jazz band and whatnot... now they like it when i play.

We're all happy again.... well... i am anyway, it's probably still banging to them -_-;;

SUCKERS!! muwahaha

but yah to answer the thread question, i guess i just had this thing inside of me that made me want to be destructive and hit stuff... but yet i wanted to destroy things in perfect time... i'm like the crazed super villain with OCD.

this question is one i am always willing to answer, i guess it all started for me when i was two, my dad was in a band and the drummer would keep his kit at our house in the basement, i can remember geting up on the stool( dont know how i did it, it was bigger thatn i was) then i would grab the sticks and just start banging. i could fall asleep in the same room while the band was practicing.

then my drumming went into hideing untill about grade 5 when i was inspired once more, my uncle was the greatest drummer i knew( well the only drummer i knew) and i wanted to be just like him. so i bought an old kit from the local school, i think it was an old "Torq" set that i got for like $200.00 all the money i had saved for like 2 years. then i formed my first band with my two best friends. since then i have been in many different bands but my one best friend (the bass player) was in them all. Now i am in one called Rosemary's Baby you can check out the low budget recording on www.purevolume.com/rosemarysbaby

Nunner

I use to play guitar but I lost one of my fingers due to an accident and I couldn't play it anymore... I loved music but I couldn't play it on the guitar anymore so I thought I would start playing the drums... I still have four fingers on my left hand... more than enough fingers to keep a nice grasp of a drumstick...

Re: the "how" thread

]Music- No particular music ... altho I suppose I could give the Beatles credit ... they got me into music in the first place, even tho' that was 40 years before I got the notion to play drums; and it was at a concert by Ringo Starr and his All-Star Band that I got bit by the drum bug.

Drummer- Seeing Sheila E drumming at the above-mentioned concert gave me the idea. But it was seeing Kenny Aronoff in action that made up my mind. Watched him thru my little binoculars and said, "I want to do what that guy does"!

Person- I give my husband credit, for not laughing at me, for buying me my drum kit, and for continuing to encourage me.

Style- I'm first and foremost a rock-n-roll baby ... and classic rock is my first true love. I'm enjoying later rock, and even Blues, but I want to play the true classics.

Inspirations- Kenny Aronoff, without a doubt. Seeing him, made we want to start drumming; 6 months later, when I was discouraged and ready to quit, a private lesson with him kicked the door open and made me want to work harder than I knew I could. He knocks my socks off ... I've put him on warning that one day I intend to return the favor!!
:cool:
I also have a great network of friends ... both on- and off-line ... who encourage me and believe in me, and make me want to really accomplish something.

didn't enjoy school really so i ended up playing the drums in the music rooms... i got quite good and did a few gigs in school and now im hooked... i got my 7 C's but if i hadn’t cut class so much to go play drums, i probably would have done better

I wasn't influenced by the music that I used to listen...to be serious...what good music at the age of 10 we expect to hear?
When I started percussion,after two weeks I wanned to play drums...I started percussion in the 5th grade(after 4 years of piano)...and there was a student in the 12 grade(the last year of high school) and I liked so much the stile that boy was plaing...the moves,the sound..everything(but of course he was a little bit crazy :)) )so...one day he camed to me and (by force) set me for the first time in my life on a drum set...and in 2 days I was plain' my first rithm(wich even today there are very well known bands with drummers that can't play that rithm :D )

I was never really into Drums. I never thought of being a drummer. I really wanted to learn Gitaur, but I quit that. I thought it was too tricky. So anyhow, one day I went to my friends house and was banging on his drums. My dad came down later and did a big drum beat,
and I was impressed. I liked drums ever since that day I suppose.

Anyhow, at our chruch we needed a drummer so my dad went searching for a kit. I didn't come with him once while he searched until one night. We went and looked at this niceley used Yamaha Stage custome kite. I LOVED it. So we bought it. That was almost 2 Years ago and I love play. The reason I love to play is because music is life and Drums are addictive.

Will

My first CD, Frizzle Fry.

My passion for drums has grown gradually over the past 7 years. Like many people, I started out on guitar and then somehow ended up in the drum chair. I guess I just naturally came to the realization that that's where I belong. Now, I can't imagine myself being happy playing any other instrument.

hm...maibe bass sometimes? Like I do? :D

When i was 10 i was having music in school, and then i thougt that the looked cool, so i wanted to play drums. And their went 10 minuttes and i could play 4/4, so i keept on going with drums....

played trumpet aswell, was good enough to get to grade 6 on the trumpet, i am still going, but i used to watch my sisters bf and he has been grade 8 at rock school since 13, he is now 18! so i was amazed, i was amzed by his drum solos whilst playing with platinum jar (www.platinumjar.co.uk download the new EP 4 free off here and find amzing drumming!) and he inspired me, i have only been playing a yr the drummer of platinum jar has taught me and i rlly love them now!!

Well - I don't actually know "why drums?" Perhapse energy that u are sharing while you play... between kit & people around, other musicians of the band.
The second beloved instrument - piano. Third - guitar. I was learning playing them, but not satisfied just by one of these sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

I only started drums 3 months ago and picked it up no prob. I've always loved drums, the main reason I started playing was because all of my other instruments were getting really boring - sax, trumpet and piano plus eveyone in school seems to think they are amazing on drums, but I showed them...hehe

The chicks. Apparently there are no groupies into acid and free jazz, so its not worked out to nicely. Just kidding. I really started because I was really terrible at the trumpet. After I had started though, I absolutely fell in love.

i dug the drums because they are so powerful.........you can control the whole band by your playing.....you can be as quiet and meek as you wish, or thunder like cannons.....and no one can stop you......that's what hooked me on the drums.............

oh yeah..........and girls dug it too.......................

Music- I'd say the bands that made me want to play drums were Dave Weckl Band, Dreamtheater, and Slipknot.

Drummer- Mike Portnoy and my friend Ryan Simpson. Ryan is actually one of my favorite drummers. He's only 19 and has met all the members of Dreamtheater, which is a lifetime goal for me. He plays with 30 and 40 year old band members that would rather have him than more experienced drummers.

Styles- Punk, Metal, Prog, and Jazz are my main ones, but I'll play anything the situation calls for.

Inspirations- Mike Portnoy, John Blackwell, Dave Weckl, Chris Alder, and the Rev

Music- Rock and Funk. Bands include U2, The Smiths, The Chameleons, RHCP,Tea Party
Drummer- Larry Mullen Jr.
Person- My Brother and Mother
Style- Rock, Funk, Punk, Metal, Jazz......anything but mainly is rock and funk
Inspirations- Larry Mullen Jr., Jeff Burrows, Aaron Solowniuk, Chad Smith, Carter Beauford

Back