Show us your '2 rack toms to the left of the bass' kits!

How about 2 rack toms to the right of the bass for lefties like me? :)

Attachments

• IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,430
Is it me or is that woodhoop just about cracked?

Naw, just looks like a panoramic shot stringing together multiple pictures imperfectly.

That's from my iPod Touch panoramic picture option...

Classic bird view without panoramic view effect,

IMG_0410.jpg

Sorry, that's not allowed. You'll have to start you're own thread. ;)

Lovely kit though!

-Jonathan

Blatant discrimination against lefties!!! I hereby protest this thread :) But before I pick up my sticks and go home, here is photo of 2 rack toms to the right of the bass from the front view.

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,447
Here is mine. I've been going back and forth between this and 1 up, 2 down. I struggle with accepting how far off to my left the hihat has to be for this setup. I like that it allows me to keep three toms and my ride over the bass drum but I don't like how far my hats are.

I think I finally tweaked everything to my liking by putting the #2 rack tom almost center over the bass drum instead of off to the left. This way, I still have my ride in close and low and my hihat can come in closer to the center again. Sorry for the low quality pics.

Hey. Lefties have RIGHTS too!

I just discovered this setup only a few days ago, and it makes things so much easier.

But like Dignan, my hats are a little further than I'd like. Maybe I'll just ditch one of the toms.

CAM00088.png

Are both of your mounted toms the same size? Might just be the angle or my bad vision

They either look the same size or I'm guessing 12" and 13"? I tried this set up with 12" and 13" on my old kit. Just didn't work for me. Just too crowded. With a 10" and 12" its a little more manageable.

They either look the same size or I'm guessing 12" and 13"? I tried this set up with 12" and 13" on my old kit. Just didn't work for me. Just too crowded. With a 10" and 12" its a little more manageable.

They are 12" & 13", and that angle does make them sure look the same size.

They do take up a lot of real estate.

picture.php

I've added a 16" floor tom but this is the setup I keep coming back to.

Curiosity sake:
How many of you using this type of setup, play open handed?

From the last few days of playing this way, it looks as though I need to alter the setup a bit. As comfortable as everything else with this configuration is for me, the hats are just a bit further away than I'd like.

Choices:

1. Move the 13" tom to the floor, by the 16"
  2. Replace the 12" with a 8" or 10"
  3. Learn to play Open <*GULP*>
  4. Move to a 20" Bass Drum
  5. Buy a longer sticks
  6. Mount hats on Bass Drum & use remote

Curiosity sake:

From the last few days of playing this way, it looks as though I need to alter the setup a bit. As comfortable as everything else with this configuration is for me, the hats are just a bit further away than I'd like.

Choices:

5. Buy a longer sticks

I don't play open handed naturally, but do a lot of open handed stuff on a set up like this. Both hands can easily reach the hats and both cymbals.

You left out an option:
7. Raise the rack toms and move them over

Curiosity sake:

Choices:

5. Buy a longer sticks

I would say number one is your best option. I do this with my 12" when it feels too crowded up top sometimes. It also depends on what kind of music you play. If your playing calls for a lot of rolls down the toms then you may want to keep them up top. If you play more jazz, gospel or linear stuff then you can get away with one up two down easier

Lots of beautiful drum kits in this thread! Here's my contribution. I've been playing for a few weeks now with my rack toms left of center, and I love it! My left hand gets a lot more involved in my fills now.

WrgOq82.jpg

I don't play open handed naturally, but do a lot of open handed stuff on a set up like this. Both hands can easily reach the hats and both cymbals.

You left out an option:
7. Raise the rack toms and move them over

I guess I could try & raise/nudge them a bit, and see if that gives me enough room.

I'd like to try and get the hats closer to 1 o'clock, rather than 2:53:28.

I would say number one is your best option. I do this with my 12" when it feels too crowded up top sometimes. It also depends on what kind of music you play. If your playing calls for a lot of rolls down the toms then you may want to keep them up top. If you play more jazz, gospel or linear stuff then you can get away with one up two down easier

I might have some time tomorrow night to try that out. I've avoided it due to the "scary radical change" fear I have.

I've been playing with my two rack toms offset for years. Here's my Gretsch/Rogers setup:

I just moved the tom mount to a cymbal stand

Here's my Yamaha Stage Custom kit:

Again I simply inserted the Yamaha mount into the base of a Pearl boom cymbal stand. The Yamaha mount had three holes so I was able to use the extra one for the boom stand. The stand is single-braced but it still holds everything solidly.

Back