What got you started playing drums?

Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

When I was a kid I could never sit still, I would tap and hit everything within reach.
Then one day my Dad said there's a marching band in the village looking to recruit drummers.
I had to go for 3 reasons :-

1. There were lots of girls in the band.

2. My Dad was ready to murder me if I did'nt stop drumming.

3. I just had to drum, like I have to draw breath.

When I was about 7, I always loved to dance. I could always feel the beat within me and always wanted to express it through dancing.

Then I started listening the early 90's grunge and really wanted to rock out. So when I was 14, I took a music class in school and hit the drums. I remember learning that damned rock beat right away. My teacher looked at me like I was possesed or something. It was HIS look that finally made me get into drumming nearly 3 years ago now.

Now I'll never stop playing.

Marc.

Well its kinda wierd but my father played drums and when i was around the age of 5 i just started playing naturally. I have never had a lesson to this day and iam 21 years old. I am not the greatest but I consider myself good for never being taught a single thing. I guess it was just passed down from my father....

I remember very very clearly "What makes me play the drum"

I had a band when I was 15 years of age. I am the guitarists....and in our 1st Jamming Session...I told my drummer. I want to be the drummer and you can either be our Singer or take over my place. Everyone ask me why ... I said I love the Drum ... and I think I make a better drummer than being a guitarists. But honestly I had never played a Drum in my life...I just had that PASSION in me.

The next thing, I was laid a challenge by all of my band members...I was the youngest then. If I could be a better drummer than the existing drummer...I shall have the option of replacing him. We both went to his Drum Instructor, where I have to pay to learn and I am only given 2 months to do it better than him (our drummer only took up drumming for 2 months then). Naturally we are playing & learning the same stuffs. My band members accompany me & him in our practice.

The 1st time I play the drum ... I could just do it so smoothly and in less than 6 lesson of 1hrs each ....the instructor had nothing to teach me....I had finished his material (I guess he must be only an Intermediate Drummer too at that time, but I was indeed a fast learner and can read very well..everything seems to be co-ordinating, I was surprise myself. Needless to say, my instructor says I was good & cut for drumming to my band members) It is from here I know ...I will and should do better in drumming than any other instruments....that was good news ... the bad news is....I did not become the drummer of that band ... all band members disolve because of me (I was wrong too...but I was young)...from then on ..... Eric is my name & Drumming is my Game.

I went on to join other bands.

And today, if anyone of you here were to ask me...am I good in my drumming....I would say NO......I'm still not good enough, and I am now putting in countless hours of effort in perfecting my drumming....I won't ever be the best...but I will be one good drummer .... someday, somehow....and hopefully within a couple of years from now...That's my dream !

I strongly believed that - "Drummers Are Not Born" but "Are Made" ..... It takes a lot of hardwork to be good in drumming and hardwork bleed success. This still hold true to me. As such I've learn to respect good drumming - these drummers must have put in countless hours & effort to be where they are today....and they do derserve RESPECT.
Cheers my brothers

Last edited:
Re: the "how" thread

I cant remember the day i sat down and thought "im gonna play drums". Cous i just have always played drums. It may sound a little stupid, but thats just how it is. I can still remember my first, blue, mickey-mouse set (or at least i remember the pictures), with cymbals and all. And before that, i used to just drum on the couch with those chineese-eating-sticks-things, you know. And it just developed from the couch to be a real kit, that i play now (i dont use the couch anymore). So i cant say for how long i have been playing drums or how i started.

I've never been able to sit still; I'm ALWAYS absent-mindedly tapping my feet, hands, fingers, teeth... to some ryhthm or song either on the radio or in my head.

AND there is always some kind of music playing in my head (right now it is Yes' "Hold On"). Some people might say that I'm possessed... yup: possessed with the spirit of music!

Last edited by a moderator:

I was 11 when I wanted to play the drums. I thought they were cool and sexy, I still do. Plus it was a good way to get girls. I really got excitied and turned on when I heard a cool drum solo. I thought, man I've got to play the drums because that would be really cool.

i used to play guitar but when im listening to a song i always concentrate on the drums rather than the guitar riffs or chords so 1 day i decided to take drum lessons and after that i got addicted and obsess with drums, maybe its just the rhythms and different grooves that u can play that made me want to play drums, and its also good for your health because drumming is an exercise :)

I ewanted to play cuase in 7th grade trumpet sucked. So I got into percussion and at the end of 8th I got my first set. 2years later still usein it but sounds a lot better.

If I don't play my drums for over 2 days I get really sad. Any one else?

Music- first band that got me into drums are pearl jam,nirvana,a perfect circle, foo fighters and a lot more rock bands then after that my drum teacher let me listen to some fusion anf funk stuffs like galactic,tower of power,the meters, james brown, chick corea and a lot more :), i enjoyed listening to them.
Drummer- dave grohl,taylor hawkins,chamberlain,chambers,gadd,,freese and a lot more Styles- i like playing funk rock its fun, and rnb, pop, alternative, hip hop, some jazz, different kinds of rock, ballad
Inspirations- the thing that inspires me to be better is all the drummers out there that plays with emotion, plays with finesse, plays consistently, someone that plays for the music, and also have some technical skills whether he is a famous drummer or not :)

Fur drummer said:
I was 11 when I wanted to play the drums. I thought they were cool and sexy, I still do. Plus it was a good way to get girls. I really got excitied and turned on when I heard a cool drum solo. I thought, man I've got to play the drums because that would be really cool.

Kekekekeke ... true..true ...

"Woman believes that Male Drummers's are extremely Good & Versatile At Their STICKS !"

females...i mean, don't get me wrong, i love the music...but c'mon...let's be honest here...it's the females

My mother... maybe me too, but no, my mother...

The eeevil women....

my best friends older brother was in a band . he built a room in the cellar to practice in. he had a white pearl ludwig set, and his sticks were painted like a candy cane. at the time the peppermint twist was popular. he started giving lessons for $2 an hour. i dropped playing trumpet like a bad habit and took lessons . i stopped playing around '69-'70 but always kept drumming in the back of my mind. in feb. 2005 i bought my own set of ludwigs and started up again. it is so incredible!!!!!!!!! it's religion!

Well, I come from a musical family. My grandma was a master violinist and my grampa a master organist. My sister used to sit by the stereo speaker for hours and listen to Beethoven and Bach, and what do ya know? She is an amazing pianist today!

As for me, I would always be banging on things and singing "boom boom pssshhh!" when I was like 6 or 7 I would be asking my mom what that was in the background of a song and she couldn't point out the instrument because it was so quiet! And to this day, I still bang on everything! So it was sort of a given that I would play drums one day.

Well, when I was a young boy I had to be at least 3 years old I saw my dad play his old pearl set from there on until about the age of 15 and I knew that's what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Not as a hobby, I wanted to perform in churches, concerts, anywhere as long as I played my ass off. It wasn't only my dad it was being big fan of Dennis Chambers, Billy Cobham the greatest ambidextrous player in the world. I mean just the groove that I felt when I heard drummers, play I wanted to be a big part of that. I wanted people to hear me play and say damn that kid has skills. Most of all it was my dad though. He's the greatest.

sloppyjoe said:
I ewanted to play cuase in 7th grade trumpet sucked. So I got into percussion and at the end of 8th I got my first set. 2years later still usein it but sounds a lot better.

If I don't play my drums for over 2 days I get really sad. Any one else?

Hey I feel you sloppy joe it gets so bad for me that I just play air drums. see me and my wife just moved to warner robins georgia and my drums are in storage, but I take my sticks everywhere I go. when i'm home i just watch drum dvds or dave matthews concerts and play along with carter. hey man if you're interested in talking about some drum stuff man or lady my email address is [email protected]. If not no worries I'm just desperate to be around fellow musicians.

Ludwig7584 said:
Well its kinda wierd but my father played drums and when i was around the age of 5 i just started playing naturally. I have never had a lesson to this day and iam 21 years old. I am not the greatest but I consider myself good for never being taught a single thing. I guess it was just passed down from my father....

I was 3 when I saw my dad play it was the best sound I'd ever heard before. like you I have never had a lesson either. I guess it was passed down from my dad. I mean that dude could chop'em. I've been playing for about 12 years now I'm 23. we have something in common cuz.

One thing that keeps me going is that I have the tools to become not good but great and where I come from there is a very distinct difference. I started drums because even though I played trumpet i would always admire the percussion. There like the rebels of the group and could play powerfull things that blow minds away.

Back