Looking for good earplugs/headphones

Thecowslayer

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if someone can help me find a good set of over or in-ear earplugs, that can also be plugged into an mp3 player or monitor. My budget is around 50 dollars, so right now I'm looking at getting the Vic Firth Stereo Isolation Headphones, but the only thing I'm afraid of is that they'll provide too much isolation, so I won't be able to hear other musicians when using them. Does anyone have any experience with these headphones when playing with other musicians, meaning, when playing without using a monitor to hear them? Also, if anyone has some other suggestions for headphones, I'm open to them too, the Vic Firth ones just seem the best that I've found so far.

I recommend saving a few more bucks and get a set of shure ear buds, the ones that can use the foam inserts. You squeeze them them put them in your ears and they swell up giving good isolation plus keep them in place no matter how much of a head banger you are. A decent set can be had for around $100 and will eliminate the need to by a set to use as a monitor later on, plus you can wear both or only one if need be.

I second the Shure ear plugs. Got the EC2's a few years ago, good tone and bass response and does a good job of filtering out noise. I picked mine up at a great price $89. I like the options for fit that Shure gives so you get the best feel and sound.

I really hate in-ear headphones.

I really loved my Metrophones but they wore out after a few years of practice. I could probably revive them with a soldering iron, but I'm lazy.

The Vic Firth headphones are pretty good but don't offer enough isolation for my tastes. I can feel my own drums just fine while I play, I'd much rather hear the BD and bass guitar from my sound source.

I really hate in-ear headphones.

You just need to find a set that works for you, the shures with the foam are really good. They give you better isolation, better quality sound at lower volume, they stay in place better than headphones and headphones can be hot and sweaty plus nothing looks more unprofessional than a drummer playing live wearing headphones as a monitor. Plus if you happen to be a singer also you wont go back to a wedge monitor because the signal sent to an in ear is not eq'd to remove feedback which lets you hear all the frequencies and make things a lot better.

You just need to find a set that works for you, the shures with the foam are really good. They give you better isolation, better quality sound at lower volume, they stay in place better than headphones and headphones can be hot and sweaty plus nothing looks more unprofessional than a drummer playing live wearing headphones as a monitor. Plus if you happen to be a singer also you wont go back to a wedge monitor because the signal sent to an in ear is not eq'd to remove feedback which lets you hear all the frequencies and make things a lot better.

X2 I can't stand wearing headphones now that I've found a good set of in ears that fit and sound good. Spend a little money and you'll be happy.

Hey, I've been looking up more about the shure earphones, and I was wondering, if I am playing with a band, will I be able to hear them without having the earphones plugged into a monitor?

My only problem with that would be that I would have to buy more than the headphones, which I wouldn't be too keen on doing.

I have the Shure SE215's and love them. For the price they are great and the audio quality if very good especially the bass drum, not muddy at all. Great for in ear monitors and of course for regular audio listening. Everything sounds so much better now :)

Does anyone use the moulded plugs? Some block completely but I've been told that some let you hear clearly by letting higher frequencies through (maybe small vents). Not sure what companies do this style but I'd love to get some made in Sydney.

Does anyone use the moulded plugs? Some block completely but I've been told that some let you hear clearly by letting higher frequencies through (maybe small vents). Not sure what companies do this style but I'd love to get some made in Sydney.

From what I've been told you need to go to an audiologist to have the mold made then you choose the driver that you want in the ear piece.

Thanks, that was the word I needed to search!

I found a local and they quoted me $198AUD or $269 depending on which type I need. They said they use phonak musicians earplugs.

They only give you one set as well... is this really worth it?

Cool. It seems the Phonak are the only one I can find in Sydney, they're $220. I've booked it in for Friday after speaking to an older drummer who's in the know with alot of muso's, but if anyone can throw up some different brands/names that might do the same thing but cheaper then let us know.

I'm not very excited about spending $220 but it would be nice to hear my drums + guitars clearly without that muffled sound and earplugs falling out all the time.

Back