What got you started playing drums?

Re: the "how" thread

YAHAHA said:
I've never been able to sit still; I'm ALWAYS absent-mindedly tapping my feet, hands, fingers, teeth... to some ryhthm or song either on the radio or in my head.

AND there is always some kind of music playing in my head (right now it is Yes' "Hold On"). Some people might say that I'm possessed... yup: possessed with the spirit of music!

you do that too? or a*re you joking about tapping your teeth?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

I grew up with a father who played Jazz on Saturday mornings and Classical on Sundays. I was also 9 when the Beatles came out in 1962.
Listening and growing up with music was the norm for me. I started practicing drums when the British Invasion hit North America first on furniture and finally on a Stewart snare my dad bought me. Between 1962 and 1975 I played. Once I got married I stopped until a month ago when I bought my Pearls.
For me playing drums just made sense. Don't ask me why but dispite what we have to do just to be able to play everything made sense. I ate, slept, did the air drumming, played on the real thing, the whole nine yards. Even after a 30 year absence it still has been a life long love affair that only a few of us can't explain.

Chilli said:
I really liked music and thought of playing bass... But I was born a tapper... So...
ditto, but i played jazz trombone, but i mean really, just the passion that i would see people putting into the drums and the way that it seemed to be a WAY OF LIFE as opposed to something to do....i was hooked, sophmore year in high school i got a kit and started playing

tj

Re: The "how" thread

I realised i wanted to learn the drums a while back when my mate Aaron started playing Greenday, i thought hey i wanna do that. We're both side-drummers, and ive been playing for a year so ive got more interested in the drums since i started. It took me AGES to find a tutor now i have one, first lesson was last week, hahaha!

Listening to Queens' Roger Taylor on "The Game". My father used to listen to this record
when I was only three or four years old - since that time I' ve been dreaming of buying my
own kit and start rockin' . The dream came true - what else can I say...

well, I suffer from depression and I've always been into music.
everything else just isn't physical enough.
[physical activity helps produce endorphines, which in turn produce Saratonin, and that's what I'm lacking.]

countaferfer said:
well, I suffer from depression and I've always been into music.
everything else just isn't physical enough.
[physical activity helps produce endorphines, which in turn produce Saratonin, and that's what I'm lacking.]

I highly recommend you increase your levels of serotonin instead, and your problems may vanish!!

Sorry, I hope a fellow sufferer is allowed to poke fun :)

When I was about 10, my brother was an air cadet. I would attend dome of his parades but never really thought it was all cool. But then i heard the band play. It WAS GREAT. I loved the melody of the trumpets. And then I heard this continueis(?)beat in the back ground. Then the drummers broke into an amazing drum cadence. I instantly fell in love with drums, and learnd to play snare drum. Only a year later i started at middle school and everyone had to pick an instruement. BAM! Drums were sitting there all alone so I sat down while everyone was talking about how good thell be at trumpet or clarinet, I just broke into a roll and then put everything i could lay down out(which wasnt much i might add)I played for what felt like hours and then stopped. That is when i fell in love with drum sets.(and a girl in my class who kissed me for being so cool) It was the rythm. So hear i am 3 and a half later, drumming like a maniac everyday.

When I was about 5 years old, my dad's friend played drums in our church. I showed interest in the drums, my parents bought me his old CB700 set and I never stopped since. Now I have a Yamaha Stage Custom. But what I regret is what I sold a couple years back. I bought a Zildjian K Heavy Ride for 30 bucks off some guy who wanted to get rid of it. I loved it but sold it to fund my new set!!!!! Stupid Me!!!

Music-Classic Rock, Metal, Grunge, Rock Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Alice in Chains, Hendrix, GNR, Black Sabbath, The Misfits, The Melvins, The Doors, The Beatles, Megadeth goes on.. heh
Drummer- John Bonham
Person- my friend Bassist in my band Nick Lacovara
Style- Rock Metal
Inspirations-John Bonham, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Vinnie Paul and every other drummer just doing their own thing.

Music- The Police, Journey, Steely Dan, Toto, Van Halen, Billy Joel, *cough* Loverboy, ZZ Top, Elton John, Iron Maiden, Alan Parsons Project, Chick Corea Electrik Band

Drummer- Dom Famularo, Steve Smith and Billy Cobham..the first clinics I remember

Person- My high-school private instructor and college drumline coach, Alan Keown

Style- Funky rock, bluesy rock, accoustic 'adult oriented/album rock'

Inspirations- Learning music on violin for 6 years before touching a drumstick. Having a high level of musicianship already as a beginning drummer. Placing in State competitions in orchestral snare and mallet percussion, earning a scholarship to play in College, making the tenor line as a freshman, and again, my old instructor Alan Keown.

The real reason I play drums is because my Freshman year I wanted to play Bass guitar (keeping the strings thing going). I was pretty good, but the band director didn't have anyone with enough coordination to play drums. I tried it and was kind of naturally good, so drums it was! To this date, I suck at bass.

ermmm.... because i like hitting things and i couldnt play any other instrument n i get to say that drummers have the biggest instrument which is sad but true

XNIRVANAX said:
Music-Classic Rock, Metal, Grunge, Rock Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Alice in Chains, Hendrix, GNR, Black Sabbath, The Misfits, The Melvins, The Doors, The Beatles, Megadeth goes on.. heh
Drummer- John Bonham
Person- my friend Bassist in my band Nick Lacovara
Style- Rock Metal
Inspirations-John Bonham, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Vinnie Paul and every other drummer just doing their own thing.

NO WAY you like NIRVANA?

Music- NIRVANA, alice in chains, metallica, other bands that i dont feel like naming
Drummer- well dave grohl had a big impact
Person- myself maybe? i bought my first kid with my onw money so....yeah
Style- rock, punk, metal, and i sneak a little jazz in there
Inspirations- uhh band mates and drum teacher

When I was 12 my older brother was playing King Crimson´s "Red" & "Starless and bible black" with Bill Bruford on drums. BANG!!! No turning back ever since....now I´m 42 and still at it

I remember being 5 yrs old and always getting in trouble for drumming on the dash board or the back seat of the car while my mom was listening to the radio. At that point I don't even think I knew what drums were. Fast forward to 5th grade, a music teacher from the local high school visited the class and thought I had some aptitude toward drumming. I remember begging my parents for a snare drum, as we didn't have a lot of money. They said OK, and I was hooked for life. That was 34 years ago and I'm still goin'...still tappin' on dash boards and stuff too.

My brother got a kit for christmas, and I used to go upstairs and bang on it to scare away the monsters I was afraid of when I was alone. I was a wierd one.

Oddly enough, early rap like Run DMC was a big influence on my first beat, which I played between the floor tom and snare, because I couldn't reach the pedals yet. Then I got into Gun's 'N Roses, and it was all over.

ElvinBaRkerDennis13 said:
inever really got into drums, i was a jazz trombonist...which is kinda....not as cool as drums! but in about 10th grade i decided that i would do percussion, and i decided i wanted one...i joined drumline...was bottom bass, got most of the crucial parts, and now im gigging like two years later...it turns out im actually pretty good, but i still play the trombone too
I feel for you on this one times two. I was a jazz trombonist too, but my best friends were our alternating drummers in our outfit. One was kind of a hack, but the other was brilliant, to the point where he still intimidates me with his playing today. And my dad, who was like first chair trombone at BYU in all bands when he attended in the late 50s never approved (though I was and still am an incessant tapper). As such my desire was supressed for a long time (though I practiced in the car, air, everywhere) until I finally made a decision to get a set after college... Well the Navy really dominates your time, so eight years later I finally got around to it and bought my first set. Lo' and behold, in no time I was gear head, a cymbal-holic, AND had my own band. I adore it to death.

WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG?!!!

BTW, I have pulled the trombone a couple of times to play the Mariachi beginning of Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" before I settle back behind the set and kick out the song Social-D style. My chops aren't what the used to be, but my beats are getting better and better.

J

When I was at school there were lots of bands but hardly any drummers. One guy used to get roped in to play drums for all of them. I thought then that he was a pretty good drummer and he might have gone far if he hadn't accidentally drowned aged 17. I once sat behind his kit and had a chance to play something. I might as well have been sitting at the controls of a 747 jet. Couldn't do a thing. I decided to wait almost 30 more years before getting lessons so that I can actually do something apart from sitting there looking at the drums. It'll be a long time before I can do anything like he used to but I'm making a start.

Back