Another old newbie

K

keirik

Hi Everyone.

Just thought I'd say hi.

Another oldie joining in, my name is Lee and I started playing the drums when I was 14, so that is 38 years ago!

Not played live for a long time (I've been masquerading as a guitarist/singer) but I've just joined a local pub rock band in North Wales.

I play a Promuco kit, which I've had since I was 17, apparently one of the worlds rarest kits these days - though I bought it because they were manufactured not far from where I lived! Jet Black (Stranglers) use to have one too, but I got mine first :)

It still plays really well, and apparently it's now back in fashion as it sports 13" &14" concert toms!

anyway that's me, and I'm sure I'll be along to be opinionated at some point

Lee

Well let's see, I'm turning 50 this Saturday, Haven't been in a band since 1988, haven't played a gig since the early 90's and had a 6 year break from playing/owning a kit until this past fall of 2013.

But when we got a first kit for my 9 year old son we decided to do it right and after he started with a Ludwig Jr. and we were certain he wanted to continue we bought something we could share. So I got a PDP Concept Maple 5 pc and a sweet assortment of Sabian AAX's and Zildjians, most importantly some New Beat hats.

I have found in just a few months I'm better than ever and playing a wider range of styles. I'm close to the point where I have the urge to play in a combo and possibly gig. So I'll be looking for Jam partners.

It's great to be back!

You're 52 and you refer to yourself as old? Damn!

I'm 51 and I only consider myself a little stale. ;-)

I haven't heard of Promuco drums, but I'm not too up on stuff.
Did a quick search, and the ones I saw were beech. Are yours beech?
Would you happen to have a picture of them?

Waking up a thread from the past, here is my 1976 Promuco Powerliner kit. It is built from cross grained beech ply using a method developed for parachute cannisters during World War 2. It is not lightweight.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1647869227552.jpg
    FB_IMG_1647869227552.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 10
I have never heard of Promuco drums till now. Interesting. Been drumming sinice 74 - am 52 years old physically (still 23 mentally) - and have missed those kind of drums.

Welcome to the forum!! We are not that scary once you get used to the smell

Waking up a thread from the past, here is my 1976 Promuco Powerliner kit. It is built from cross grained beech ply using a method developed for parachute cannisters during World War 2. It is not lightweight.
Awesome concert toms. I am not familiar with this brand either, where were they made?

You're 52 and you refer to yourself as old? Damn!

I'm 51 and I only consider myself a little stale. ;-)
Remember guys and gals... "You're never too old to be Young and you're never too old to Drum!"

If you guys are in your 50s and consider yourselves "old & a little stale" then what am I? in less than 2 weeks I'll be 70! Your age is only a number... your spirit is being renewed daily! It's a mind-set!

By the way... welcome to your new family of "Drum Buddies"!

Drummer_D

Remember guys and gals... "You're never too old to be Young and you're never too old to Drum!"

If you guys are in your 50s and consider yourselves "old & a little stale" then what am I? in less than 2 weeks I'll be 70! Your age is only a number... your spirit is being renewed daily! It's a mind-set!

By the way... welcome to your new family of "Drum Buddies"!

Drummer_D

yep!!!

you are only as old as you allow yourself to be!!!

Promuco was based in Thorne, near Doncaster, South Yorkshire. For the internationalists this is the North of England. Promuco was set up by Gerry Waller who had been the technical head at Premier. Promuco apparently made a lot of hardware for Premier but we're best known for drum sticks, especially for John Bonham. They also made drum kits in small numbers, the best known player is probably Jet Black of The Stranglers. Being a lad from Doncaster I had always wanted a Promuconkit but being are rare as rocking horse droppings I knew this was unlikely. I eventually found this kit on eBay and could not be happier to finally have a Promuco kit nearly 40 years later.

Back