80s TAMA Superstar

rowfour

I'm debating on whether to grab one of these or not, local seller for $600. All drums, by the way, are in great condition with hardware for everything.

Kit is in cherry finish:

22x16
14x8 snare
8, 10, 12, 13, 14 toms (shallow depth)

I'm not familiar with TAMAs but read that MIJ TAMAs are quite good.

Should I pull the trigger or add a little bit for a better vintage/classic kit?

Thanks for any input!

I owned a cherry red finish Superstar bought in 1984 and I loved them. Strongest and best sounding drums I owned up to that point. If they are in excellent condition they will probably continue to be great for a good long time - hopefully you won't have to replace any lugs or anything as parts like that are no longer available, but they're quite a lot being sold used on eBay. In traditional sizes on the toms is a bit more rare as soon after everything went power tom, so I think this would be good score. Pull the trigger and show us pictures!

Those Superstars at the time were competing with Yamaha's newly introduced Recording Custom. Both were 100% birch.

I'm debating on whether to grab one of these or not, local seller for $600. All drums, by the way, are in great condition with hardware for everything.

Kit is in cherry finish:

22x16
14x8 snare
8, 10, 12, 13, 14 toms (shallow depth)

I'm not familiar with TAMAs but read that MIJ TAMAs are quite good.

Should I pull the trigger or add a little bit for a better vintage/classic kit?

Thanks for any input!

Those sizes are VERY desirable in that finish,and 600 is a STEAL if the're in good shape.

The thing is,Tama didn't make a double headed 8" tom in standard size.I would check to see if those toms weren't modified X tras sized drums that were cut down.

Also an 8 " tom that was modified would have off set lug because of the length of the Superstar lugs so the lugs won't be in line.The tom could also be a concert tom which was modified,but the lugs would still be off set.

Post some pics of the drums and the interior of the shells.Tama finished the inside of superstars with the same stain as the exterior,so if the drum was cut down,the side that was cut wouldn't have stain on the bearing edge.

Steve B

Thanks for the input.

I forgot to mention that an 18" floor is also included.

The 8" tom actually has double heads with split lugs and not offset. Could be a later addition when power toms were introduced??

I've only been playing for a year and don't have much experience on smaller toms.
I currently play an 80s Recording Custom in 22/13/16/16 so having 8 and 10 inchers would be interesting, at least for myself.

Since the RC being birch, the reason I'm debating on getting another birch set. At the same time, with the price, kind of hard to pass on them!

I'll post some photos once I pick them up.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
That is a great deal.
You've only been playing a year and also have a Yamaha RC!? Wow, You went right to the top for gear.

Well, when I decided to upgrade my hand-me-down, non-matching 3 pc kit from a friend, the RCs were available locally as well so I went for it. Nothing against newer kits but I prefer older ones. Worst case, I sell the kits and at least get my money back.

Jump on that deal! I reluctantly sold mine a while ago. Early 80's Super Stars are my favorite drums - part nostalgia, part awesome drums. I will own a set again...

I ordered my Tama Superstar cherry wine kit in 1983, and played them for 23 years. Unfortunately I ordered power tom sizes, and finally got tired of them. If they were traditional sizes, I would still be playing them. I say jump all over that deal.

Seems like quite a few players swear by this set. I'm picking them up today. I'll post pics right after.

Thanks for all the inputs!

I have a set of the power toms too, I plan on cutting them down to FAST sizes.

Cant wait to see your new kit

Lots of guys want to cut down the x-tras sized drums.The only problem is that you'll wind up with a drum that is slightly shorter in depth than a standard sized tom.This is because of the location of the lugs/mounting holes.

I have the superstar 9600 series from the mid 70's.They are standard sized 6 ply with re rings as opposed to 9 ply superstars.They also have a finish Tama called custom walnut which is slightly darker than mahogany and is a satin finish as opposed to gloss.

They are just amazing drums and I also took off the pinstripes a while back and slapped some EC 2 on,which just made them even more resonant and warm.

You can't go wrong buying vintage superstars,Great sound and bulletproof hardware.

Steve B

Last edited:
Here are the photos. I got too excited when I got them and played them right away.. Wow.

My RCs might take a break for a while.

The inside of the shells also has the matching stain, cherry wine.

The hardware are beasts!

Oh, and did I mention I got them for $500?!

I apologize for the bad lighting.

Attachments

• image(14).jpeg
    image(14).jpeg
    552.4 KB · Views: 2,618
  • image(15).jpeg
    image(15).jpeg
    594.2 KB · Views: 1,872
  • image(16).jpeg
    image(16).jpeg
    588.7 KB · Views: 4,488
  • image(17).jpeg
    image(17).jpeg
    594.1 KB · Views: 2,502
  • image(18).jpeg
    image(18).jpeg
    643.8 KB · Views: 1,922
Thanks!

Yup, five bills. To be honest, I don't think he really needs it (money), really nice guy that's been playing forever.

Today I found a late 60s Ludwig Blue Sparkle, Keystone Badge all maple? - 22/13/13/16 with 14x5 Gretsch metal snare with all hardware as well for $500. I guess my lucky number!

The original owner said, everything was bought in the late 60s.

This one, I'm really thinking about. Not a fan of the finish.

My "Ludwig kit" cherry might be popped soon!

Thanks!

Yup, five bills. To be honest, I don't think he really needs it (money), really nice guy that's been playing forever.

Today I found a late 60s Ludwig Blue Sparkle, Keystone Badge all maple? - 22/13/13/16 with 14x5 Gretsch metal snare with all hardware as well for $500. I guess my lucky number!

The original owner said, everything was bought in the late 60s.

This one, I'm really thinking about. Not a fan of the finish.

My "Ludwig kit" cherry might be popped soon!

First...did you wear a mask when you bought those?

Score my friend.They look to be in great shape.You'll love the sound.

The Late 60's Ludwigs were 3 ply mahogany/poplar/mahogany or mahogany/poplar/maple usually depending on finish ans material availibility.

Earlty 70's were also 3 ply maple/poplar/maple.

For 500? Wow..that could be a steal also,but the Hollywood model kit originally came with 12/13/16/22....so that could be an add on or possibly a custom kit.

Post some clear pics.Again....congrats on the supes.

Steve B

Back