INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

Hi gang,

I've looked at threads on this site for so long, I figured it was time to join. I'm in a band, (switched to all originals), and we are starting to get rolling again. I mostly love all drums, no matter what emblem is on the shells. It seems to me it's a tough choice when picking a new set, because ALL the drum companies are offering good/great quality at pretty decent prices nowadays. I had Ludwigs, DW's, Tama's and Pearl's, and presently have a Yamaha live Custom, DrumCraft maple, and a Mapex Saturn that I never got to play yet. It's still new, in the boxes.
I'm 44, and have been playing on and off since I was twelve. Life got in the way of things for a few years, but got back into it 6 years ago or so. Life will hopefully not get in the way again.

Real name? Kevin
Age? 23
How long have you been playing? Will be 11 years this fall
Origin of user name? I am a Canadian and a drummer....also uncreative
Your top 5 drummers? JoJo Meyer, Blake Richardson, i actually can't think of any more atm :eek:
Make of drum kit? Asama at home (junk, been too poor to upgrade)Dixon (Also junky) where i work, working to upgrade soon
Make of cymbal? Sabian AAX primarily, i have 2 Imperial cymbals
Where do you practice? My house/where i work
Are you in a band? Nope
Do you play covers or originals? Originals
What style of music? Metal/hardcore/rock and roll/sometimes jazz/Gospel
Favourite take out food? Burritos
What country do you live in? Switzerland
One really odd fact about yourself? i have drank fermented horse milk
How did you start drumming? I had always air drummed when i was a child and then my parents decided to put me into drum lessons as guitar had failed.

Real name? - Gray Madden
Age? - 22 (23 in a couple weeks)
How long have you been playing? - Drums or music? Music since I was 7, drums...about a month and a half.
Origin of user name? - Middle name, last initial
Your top 5 drummers? - Erm...I don't know any famous ones.
Make of drumkit? It's pieced together. I use a cajon I made as the kick drum, Pearl toms, and an old, no-name snare I salvaged.
Make of cymbal? Paiste hi-hat, Zildjian crash and ride
Where do you practice? - home and church
Are you in a band? - Church praise and worship
Do you play covers or originals? - Both
What style of music? -on drums....Latin
Favourite take out food? - Mexican
What country do you live in? - United States
One really odd fact about yourself? - I always have a water bottle with me...always.
How did you start drumming? - I filled in on bass at church for a few months (I usually play guitar), and started playing attention to the drums and got interested.

Last edited:
Real name? - Per Eriksson
Age? - 18
How long have you been playing? - I've been playing the drums for about 7 years
Your top 5 drummers? - In no particular order: David Garibaldi, Simon Phillips, Vinnie Colaiuta, John Bonham and Dave Weckl
Make of drumkit?- Tama
Make of cymbal? Zildjian
Where do you practice? - Home and at school
Are you in a band? - Yes!
Do you play covers or originals? - Originals
Favourite take out food? - Pizza
What country do you live in? - Sweden
How did you start drumming? - I played guitar in a band and the drummer quitted. I was already interested in drumming so I took the spot as the drummer and since then drumming became my main instrument.

Real name? - Pietro Valente
Age? - 32
How long have you been playing? - I've been playing the drums for 24 years
Your top 5 drummers? - Brian Blade, Jorge Rossy, Larnell Lewis, Marcus Gilmore, Elvin Jones
Make of drumkit?- Pearl and Gretsch
Make of cymbal? Bosforus
Where do you practice? - My studio
Are you in a band? - Many
Do you play covers or originals? - Both
Favourite take out food? - Pizza
What country do you live in? - Italy
How did you start drumming? - I start drumming with old pots, shoes boxes and Chinese chopsticks when I was a kid.

Real name? - Darko
Age? - 56
How long have you been playing? - 6 years (1974-1980) + 1/2 year from 2014
Your top 5 drummers? - 1) Dave Weckl, 2) Billy Cobham, 3) Lenny White, 4) Jon Hiseman, 5) Narada Michael Walden
Make of drumkit?- Yamaha DTX400k
Make of cymbal? Yamaha DTX400k
Where do you practice? - Home
Are you in a band? - No
Do you play covers or originals? - Covers
Favorite take out food? - Burek
What country do you live in? - Croatia
How did you start drumming? My mom was a piano teacher. Fromthe age of 6 I played guitar, piano, violine. At age 13 I enrolled and finished the drumming school with Prof Vuglac

Real name? Matt
Age? 40
How long have you been playing? 25 years
Your top 5 drummers? Thomas lang, john bonham, steven adler, ian pace, mitch mitchell
Make of drumkit? spaun, ocdp
Make of cymbal? zildjian K's n' A's
Where do you practice? studio
Are you in a band? yes, 3
Do you play covers or originals? both
Favorite take out food? pizza
What country do you live in? essex, UK
How did you start drumming? My brother got a kit and told me if i touched it he would kill me, 2 months later he gave it to me as he couldn't keep up...lol...

I apologize that I've been lurking for months, joined in Nov '14 and still lurked, and only yesterday realized that I offered up my first post on another thread.

I originally came to this site (years ago it seemed) cause I was searching for "Paul McCartney's drummer..." as I saw him playing and wanted to know more about Abe...

That said:
Real name? - Daryn
Age? - 50
How long have you been playing? - in my youth ('73-'85), in the military ('85-'92), then a long hiatus and recently started again last year as I approach mid-life crisis. I always had sticks and a pad though...
Your top 5 drummers? - only 5?!? like anything, there's the old and then the new. The old stand-bys that we grow up on and then the ones who you never heard of but find them on you tube. I like watching and listening to anyone with rhythym
Make of drumkit?- PDP FS Birch & an old Ludwig rocker kit been thinking about re-wrapping, new lugs/spurs, etc., etc
Make of cymbal? Zildian
Where do you practice? - Home
Are you in a band? - Not yet
Do you play covers or originals? - just play
Favorite take out food? - pizza/free
What country do you live in? - US, NJ
How did you start drumming? Musical family: clarinet, sax, oboe, trumpet, guitars, piano, voice...I had to be different tho with drums. Started playing the Encyclopedia Britannica then move on to Faberware pots and wooden spoons. First little kit was a "Stewart" 4-piece in orange sparkle. Upgraded to a Pearl, then a Tama. Still have my first 16 & 18 med-heavy crashes...

Hey Everyone. I'm relatively new here. I've looked at joining for a while and now I've finally taken the plunge.

Real name? -Jonathon Hostetler

Age? -21

How long have you been playing? -14 years and counting

Origin of user name? -looks like my real name

Your top 5 drummers? -Right now: Gene Kruppa, Buddy Rich, Alex Van Halen, Papa Joe and Philly Joe Jones. I'll through Bonzo in there as well.

Make of drumkit? -Tama Silverstar Jazz Kit in Antique Brown Burst, with a 1968 Sonor D-444

Make of cymbal? -Anything I can get my hands on: Sabian, old Zildjians, Tosco, Wuhan, and others.

Where do you practice? -Where don't I?

Are you in a band? -Yes. The Anderson University Jazz Ensemble

Do you play covers or originals? -Both depending on the gig

What style of music? Obviously jazz, and Southern rock.

Favorite take out food? -Pizza

What country do you live in? -Northern Indiana, United States

One really odd fact about yourself? -I am a Harley-Davidson enthusiast

How did you start drumming? -Cheap sticks a tupperware for a year before I got my first drum

That's about it for now. I am a student who never tires of learning.

Real name? David Behrens

Age? Born May 5, 1997

How long have you been playing? 7 years

Origin of user name? My name.

Your top 5 drummers? Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Gadd, Louie Bellson, Tony Williams

Make of drumkit? Sonor Force 3005 Maple

Make of cymbal? Sabian HHX 20" Stage Ride, 14" 16" and 18" Xplosion Crashes, 14" Stage Hats, 10" Splash, B8 Pro 16" O-Zone Crash, 16" Weiss China and 10" China Splash

Where do you practice? In my basement.

Are you in a band? Several, and many individual gigs including 207 Blues, Chris Humphrey Trio, Compelling Sound, Warren King band and more.

Do you play covers or originals? Both; I write swing and fusion occasionally.

What style of music? Mostly jazz and fusion, but also rock and funk. Almost all classic rock as I don't like modern rock and can't stand metal, country, or pop.

Favourite take out food?
Buffalo Wings

What country do you live in? USA

One really odd fact about yourself? I've occasionally used the term 'bae.'

How did you start drumming? I chose to play percussion in 4th grade concert band, and my teacher recognized that I seemed talented and recommended that I start studying drum set. I got a great teacher, and was fueled by listening and learning.

Do I really have to introduce myself? I mean DW-Doug, I've told you a lot already. You know I'm probably Doug. You know my middle or last name may start with a W, or else I got a thing for DW drums. So, what else is there to know?

Yeah, there's more. Am I going to tell it all in one thread? Nope, then I'd have to leave, as you know too much about me, haha.

First played drums in 3rd grade I think I honestly don't remember for sure. I played in high school band for 6 years, because they merged all Jr. high and high school where I went at time, so they adopted us early for a "bigger band", especially drummers. So, I got to be around older guys that could really play well. It helped. We went for a drum and bugle corp style drum section. It was a big deal.

Maybe I had a crap drum set to start, but I can definitely remember drumming and beating on a metal lamp shade, and beating the h*ll out of it as a cymbal before I got my big set, LOL.

I was 16 when I got my drums. Played in band early, and continued to a bit of college age. After that, I mostly put them down for many years.

More later... Oh yeah, I'm vintage and so is some of my gear, ha.

Apparently, I didn't follow the format of thread, oops. I'm a rule breaker already. Banned (him) on the run! Well, I hope not for this infraction. I'll do better...

DW

Hi, thanks for having me here!

I just started playing a couple of months ago. Drums were the first instrument I ever wanted to play a a youngster, but owning a kit was not going to happen. I started on guitar and have played that for about 20 years now.

I'd like to be able to write and record all the parts of songs myself and decided if I was ever going to learn the drums, now was the time. Its a boatload of fun - I'm sorry I took so long to get into it.

My name is Frank
I play Drums sometimes loud sometimes soft and occasionally they let me sing.

Seriously I have been playing for about 40 years I started very young and no I'm no where even close to being a prodigy, but my mother said I was the best so..........

I have played in several bands and I am in a 80's rock project now called 18@heart (Steel Panther, Dio, Van Halen, Warrant, Slaughter you get it) also I am working on a blues project with guys that live all over the place doing a lot of recording thru thumb drives.

In 2001-2004 I was in a band called Osaris that did a ton of openings for national acts like Nickleback, Puddle of Mud Three Doors Down, Saliva, 7Mary3, Disturbed, and so on. Drums are my passion and I have been influenced by My Father, My Brother, My Son everyone of you and some other small names like Bonham, Peart, Van HAlen, Rich, Krupa.

So thank you for having me and reading this and remember we are all only one rack tom away from it being a problem.

Peace.

Real name? - Eliot

Age? - 37 (looks so much worse when you write it down)

How long have you been playing? - 19 years

Origin of user name? - He's my favourite Muppet. Plus an unkind person (and reckless exaggerator no doubt) said I once looked like him.

Your top 5 drummers? Stewart Copeland, Chris Coleman, Daru Jones, Chris Dave, Johnny Rabb.

Make of drumkit? DW

Make of cymbal? Sabian

Where do you practice? In my conservatory on my old Pearl Export which I've converted into an E-Kit.

Are you in a band? Yes

Do you play covers or originals? Originals

What style of music? Folk but with some electronic flavours bunged in.

Favourite take out food? Indian

What country do you live in? England

One really odd fact about yourself? A chiropractor once said I was the least bendy person she'd ever met. Make of that what you will.

How did you start drumming? Started taking lessons at school and been annoying neighbours, household pets, and the wife ever since.

Real name? Tom
Age? 49

How long have you been playing? months just a newbie
Origin of user name? My name modified just a little :)

Your top 5 drummers? will edit later after some thought.

Make of drumkit? peace

Make of cymbal? paiste ,zildjian , wuhan

Where do you practice? in the jam room. on 5 acres of land, i can jam anytime day or night lol

Are you in a band? no, was long ago when i played guitar and bass
Do you play covers or originals? we did all originals

What style of music? rock , old , punk and some weird stuff i couldnt put in a catigory lol
Favourite take out food? hot wings and tacos

One really odd fact about yourself? everything

How did you start drumming? studied classical and jazz guitar in high school got pretty good, joined rock band as guitarist, switched to bass. played in a few bands
always liked jamming on drums after practice, bought a drumset for my sons (3) when 6,8,10,, !thinking one might love them and want to play,
well for myself also, but never set out to really learn to play, now im finally ready , at age 49 i better start now so i can call myself an OK DRUMMER SOMETIME BEFORE I DIE :)

Last edited:
I've lurked for a while and have read a lot of opinions and advice on here, so thank you already!

Real name? Matt

Age? 32

How long have you been playing? Properly for about 2 months. Self-taught a little 14-odd years ago, now taking lessons.

Origin of user name? Nickname based on my surname.

Your top 5 drummers? Tough one, am learning more every day. Even listening to specific bands/songs and looking up their kit/set up etc.

Make of drumkit? Starter kit by Tiger.

Make of cymbal? Was kindly given some upgrades over the starter kit by a friend, mix of Mapex, Zildjian ZBT and Stagg. Was missing a ride so bought myself a 20" Paiste Signature Full Ride after hours at a Drum Centre.

Where do you practice? Spare room in my house.

Are you in a band? Not yet!

What style of music? First songs i've played with my teacher have been from Green Day and Smashing Pumpkins.

Favourite take out food? Indian.

What country do you live in? England.

One really odd fact about yourself? I'm an insomniac.

How did you start drumming? At school, went to a small house party where my friend had his kit. Started teaching myself the basics after a few beers which led to us sticking together a terrible 4-piece with him as the vocalist.

Real name? Adam Janzi

Age? 20

How long have you been playing? For about 8 years now.

Origin of user name? Simply my name without blankspace.

Your top 5 drummers? Wow! Hmm...
- Terry Bozzio
- Matt Halpern
- Dennis Chambers
- Danny Carey
- Benny Greb

Make of drumkit? Pearl Masters 50th anniversary ltd, emerald green.

Make of cymbal? East Cymbals mainly.
I use a lot of my own-made stacks, using east cymbals, imperial cymbals and other broken cymbals from different starterkits.

Where do you practice? In the practiceroom that my band rents, in my livingroom on pillows/drumpad and wherever I am on my knees :)

Are you in a band? Yes sir!
My band is The Drake Equation

What style of music? Mainly metal, but I practice all kinds of genres.
I am currently doing a couple of shows with a swedish indie-pop artist and I am practicing jazz and funk a lot.

Favourite take out food? Chinese!

What country do you live in? Sweden

One really odd fact about yourself? 80% of the cymbals I use are extremely cracked cymbals that I stack.

How did you start drumming? It was actually on a dare haha, my friend told me I wouldn't be able to play drums since it was too hard, so I started learning by taking lessons.
I also immediately bought a pair of drumsticks and played along to my favourite songs on pillows when my parents weren't home, haha. Good times!

• Real name? Val (yep! i'm a girl)
  • Age? 22
  • How long have you been playing? 7 years
  • Origin of user name? Words from a slogan by my favorite band + my birthday (august 26)
  • Your top 5 drummers? It's not my "top 5 best drummers in history", but i really enjoy watching them playing and i have learned a lot from them: Travis Barker, Shannon Leto, Mike Portnoy, Lars Ulrich, Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan
  • Make of drumkit? Gigmaker by Yamaha
  • Make of cymbal? Sabian: B8 Pro, AA, AAX, Xs20. Zildjian ZXT. Paiste PST 3.
  • Where do you practice? Practice room in my house
  • Are you in a band? I was! I'm planning to join another band in the near future
  • Do you play covers or originals? I play covers. It's a bit difficult for me to write music, don't know why :/
  • What style of music? Rock, rock pop, pop, metal, jazz, latin... any genre is good as long as i can add percussion
  • Favourite take out food? Anything with cheese. ANYTHING
  • What country do you live in? Mexico
  • One really odd fact about yourself? I run a big fanclub in my country for my favorite band... and thanks to this i worked with EMI, Universal Music, MTV and more. Pretty cool!
  • How did you start drumming? I just wanted to learn how to play my favorite songs. I ended up watching videos and just learning how to play by ear

Real name? Bruno

Age? 33

How long have you been playing? Since 1991

Origin of user name? Nickname based on my surname (Hack)

Your top 5 drummers? Jimmy Chamberlin (Sm), Marky Ramone, Gene Krupa,Buddy Rich, Carter Belford.

Make of drumkit? Fischer Stage (Made in Brazil)

Make of cymbal? Sabiam B8 hh + ride (ride is still in use).

Where do you practice? During the gigs... living in an apartment and no pads :(

Are you in a band? U2 cover CWB

What style of music? Punk and alternative rock.

Favourite take out food? Chinese (orange chicken).

What country do you live in? Brazil (city of Curitiba - state of Paraná)

One really odd fact about yourself? not very good in tasks where cordenation needed, besides drums.

How did you start drumming? After a frustrating start with an acoustic guitar lessons, my mom encourage me to switch to drums after she notice i was drumming along with ambient music in restaurants, during road trips and etc...

Hi all,

I've been a lurker for years, finally created an account a couple of years ago, and thought I'd introduce myself, finally.

Real name? Steve

Age? 42

How long have you been playing? On and off since I was 10.

Origin of user name? I'm a programmer, iostream is one of the standard C++ libraries.

Your top 5 drummers? Tough one, only five. John Bonham, Roger Hawkins, Bernard Purdie, James Gadson, Clyde Stubblefield

Make of drumkit? Mapex Meridian Maple five piece, and recently acquired a Sonor Safari.

Make of cymbal? Paiste, Sabian

Where do you practice? Basement

Are you in a band? Yes

Do you play covers or originals? Both

What style of music? Rock, Alternative Roots, Alternative Country

Favourite take out food? Five Guys Burgers and Fries

One really odd fact about yourself? I also play guitar. I guess that's not terribly odd.

How did you start drumming? I had wanted to play the drums ever since I could remember, so when it came time in 5th grade to choose an instrument for band, it was a no-brainer. Played through high school and through college. I took a hiatus when I first got married, but recently picked them up again.

Last edited:
Back