How do you approach a Low Volume Gig?

You need to keep the same size sticks, just made out of a lighter material. If you are using oak or hickory, try maple. If you are already using maple try sticks made of marshmallows.

Just lower your stick heights and use your wrists. You shouldn't have to change to brushes or rods unless that's the sound you want; using maple sticks rather than hickory is a good idea, though. It also helps to not have to fight your instrument-- smaller, drier drums (possibly tuned slightly on the higher side), and smaller, drier, lighter cymbals will help with that. If you need your drums to make a big rocking sound to feel like you're sounding good, you have to adjust your ears a bit-- you cannot duplicate that sound at a low volume. I blogged some other suggestions about this awhile back.

I've found that instead of using your normal technique, you can almost drop the sticks onto the cymbals and drums instead of the typical whipping motion created by your wrists. Let gravity work for ya.

I really love rods, I dig the sounds they make, a very legato type sound as compared to regular sticks. Try 7A's or other "jazz" sticks. I really dig the Garibaldi sticks, but they are heavier than a 7A.

Just lower your stick heights and use your wrists. You shouldn't have to change to brushes or rods unless that's the sound you want; using maple sticks rather than hickory is a good idea, though. It also helps to not have to fight your instrument-- smaller, drier drums (possibly tuned slightly on the higher side), and smaller, drier, lighter cymbals will help with that. If you need your drums to make a big rocking sound to feel like you're sounding good, you have to adjust your ears a bit-- you cannot duplicate that sound at a low volume. I blogged some other suggestions about this awhile back.

I don't agree with the idea of using different gear to play softer. Being a musician means being able to control your instrument, no? Meaning being able to play it at a very low volume when it's required.

But now I'm entering a whole new topic, which is making your drumkit into a real musical instrument, and not just something to bash on.

Look, it's true, anyway I think it is. You should be able to play at any volume on the drums you're playing right now.

I don't agree with the idea of using different gear to play softer.

You're not alone either Jay. I've read similar trains of thought here on DW countless times over the years. I can't say I agree though. I'm left wondering why music is about the only vocation where it's not desireable to select a tool that better allows you to get the job done?

I'm not suggesting that a full dynamic range is to be ignored.....quite the opposite. But by the same measure why is it so often considered the point at which we must stop? Why not swap the 3A sticks, 24 inch kick and 20" bright and cutting crashes that help you "stand up and be counted" at your rock gig, for 7A's, smaller drums and cymbals that are better suited to the requirement of quietly tapping away in a coffee shop?

But you're right, now we're entering into a whole new topic......one probably better solved over a few jars whilst propping up a bar somewhere.

You're not alone either Jay. I've read similar trains of thought here on DW countless times over the years. I can't say I agree though. I'm left wondering why music is about the only vocation where it's not desireable to select a tool that better allows you to get the job done?.

I don't think it's like that at all. But let's face it: being a musician does require a good deal of technique. I don't see why a good amount of that technique wouldn't be playing dynamically, meaning controlling your playing volume, being able to play from whisper soft to amazingly loud.

So that's the camp I'm in, that's how I always did it. I acknowledge that there are multiple approaches to the situation.

I'm left wondering why music is about the only vocation where it's not desireable to select a tool that better allows you to get the job done?

Because that "tool" doesn't sound the same. If you want to play a drum set with sticks but at a quieter dynamic, then play softer. Playing with sticks sounds like playing with sticks. Playing with brushes sounds like playing with brushes. Playing with hot rods sounds like playing with hot rods. If you're at a gig, playing with sticks, and the band leader tells you to play quieter, and you're like, "hold on, let me grab my hot rods..." then that's totally lame in my book. You're not just changing the dynamic, you're changing the timbral quality of your instrument, too.

However, if you WANT that sound, then go for it, but for Gadd's sake, don't use other "tools" as a crutch or as a substitute for playing with an appropriate dynamic for the gig...

If you're at a gig, playing with sticks, and the band leader tells you to play quieter, and you're like, "hold on, let me grab my hot rods..." then that's totally lame in my book. You're not just changing the dynamic, you're changing the timbral quality of your instrument, too.

Sure, but I also through a caveat of "I'm not suggesting that a full dynamic range is to be ignored.....quite the opposite' in order to cover such a situation.

But the reality is, we're responding to a guy who's used to flailing away with a rock band in full flight that's always cranked to "11" asking if it's appropriate to use a different lighter stick because his playing situation has changed and he needs to be more subdued and mindful of both volume and playing dynamics.

To my way of thinking, why the hell wouldn't you use them? I'm gonna argue that's exactly the type of playing situation that a thinner or lighter stick........or dare I say even a rod.......was designed for. They're there, they're available and they're a perfectly acceptable tool for just such a playing application. In that situation, I don't consider their use bad form or showing an inherent inability to adapt your technique at all........I just consider it grabbing another one of the many available tools to help you get the job done.

Rods are a specialized stick that make a specific sound. Some people view them as a crutch to be able to play quieter. That's my only beef with them. If you want to play quieter, play quieter then. If you want the sound of rods or brushes or dreadlocks or whatever, only then should you use them. I have only used them a few times (still have my original pair from 12 years ago). Most times, I prefer the sound of my sticks, and if I need to play whisper quiet, I'll play whisper quiet with sticks...

Because that "tool" doesn't sound the same. If you want to play a drum set with sticks but at a quieter dynamic, then play softer. Playing with sticks sounds like playing with sticks. Playing with brushes sounds like playing with brushes. Playing with hot rods sounds like playing with hot rods. If you're at a gig, playing with sticks, and the band leader tells you to play quieter, and you're like, "hold on, let me grab my hot rods..." then that's totally lame in my book. You're not just changing the dynamic, you're changing the timbral quality of your instrument, too.

However, if you WANT that sound, then go for it, but for Gadd's sake, don't use other "tools" as a crutch or as a substitute for playing with an appropriate dynamic for the gig...

If you're talking studio, orchestral, or light jazz, you are right.

But if it's rock n roll, as inferred by the OP, I can't say the average guitar player or drunk guy at the bar, would notice the timbral difference.

I did specifically say "As long as the drummer sounds right for the gig at hand"
so if the rod doesn't sound right for the gig, it's not right for the gig.

Context of the music is key.

But the reality is, we're responding to a guy who's used to flailing away with a rock band in full flight that's always cranked to "11" asking if it's appropriate to use a different lighter stick because his playing situation has changed and he needs to be more subdued and mindful of both volume and playing dynamics.

To my way of thinking, why the hell wouldn't you use them? I'm gonna argue that's exactly the type of playing situation that a thinner or lighter stick........or dare I say even a rod.......was designed for. They're there, they're available and they're a perfectly acceptable tool for just such a playing application. In that situation, I don't consider their use bad form or showing an inherent inability to adapt your technique at all........I just consider it grabbing another one of the many available tools to help you get the job done.

I have to say, its a compelling argument.

But if it's rock n roll, as inferred by the OP, I can't say the average guitar player or drunk guy at the bar, would notice the timbral difference.

Perhaps not, but if you're smacking the crap out of your drums and cymbals with hot rods, not only will you break about 6 pairs of them in an hour set, you also don't get the articulation that you get from regular sticks. I dunno. A LOT of the stuff we talk about on the forum is from a personal, player's perspective. Joe Shmoe at the bar who doesn't notice the hot rods you're playing with probably won't notice that you're playing a $250 Sound Percussion concert tom drum set with cracked B8 cymbals, either. From the driver's seat, and for the sake of cutting through a mix with articulative frequencies (the volume variable aside), playing with sticks at a quieter volume is more ideal than hot rods at Travis Barker volume. That's just my opinion from my experience. As a drummer, I want to put my best sound forward at all times, and hot rods don't give me a close enough representation of the sound of a drum stick on a drum. Their articulation is so soft and non-precise that they sound closer to brushes than they do sticks. In a rock and roll situation, I don't find that to be remotely close to the target sound of a rock kit. But, hey...they sounded great on all of those MTV Unplugged albums from the 90s! :D

why the hell wouldn't you use them? I'm gonna argue that's exactly the type of playing situation that a thinner or lighter stick........or dare I say even a rod.......was designed for. They're there, they're available and they're a perfectly acceptable tool for just such a playing application. In that situation, I don't consider their use bad form or showing an inherent inability to adapt your technique at all........I just consider it grabbing another one of the many available tools to help you get the job done.

It sounds as if we view our tools differently. Cheers!

I don't agree with the idea of using different gear to play softer. Being a musician means being able to control your instrument, no? Meaning being able to play it at a very low volume when it's required.

Sure, I thought I told him that. But they also make different sizes of drums and sizes/weights of cymbals for a reason, and part of being a professional is owning and bringing to the gig an appropriate instrument for the situation.

Speaking as someone who spent years trying to bring my volume down after years of hammering at bars gigs I'm siding with The Golded Pocket on this one.

I now regularly play at low volume while maintaining some level of intensity. It's a good skill to have because it greatly broadens your musical options. The key for me has been to question myself at any given moment ... "Am I making a racket or does it sound like music?".

You can't generally expect a pub thumper to transform immediately. Brushes and rods would be sub-optimal for me in some songs because of the sound, but for a rocker without much experience in quiet playing it's better to change tone than alternating between playing too loudly and playing without energy, which is what tends to happen to players struggling to stay quiet.

My A$0.02 (US$0.0182)

I think this has all gotten a bit lost. I don't think anyone mentioned to use hot rods and just continue to hit like you're at a rock concert.
It's just a tool like any other, they sound different but, they can be useful.

Saying anyone is cheating for using them is daft. Are jazz players who use coated strings compentsating for lack of finger technique?

Just the icing on the cake for a lot of people.

I've seen it done. It worked okay too.

You know, when I first started music college they used to force the drummers to use hot-rods to try to protects the skins and the cymbals.
I thought that was ridiculous. Once the guys at the store (you had to sign out equipment' got to know you and what you were like with equipment they let me use sticks. Others though, never got that far....

I can see the logic but, I'm not sure if it's fair...

Sure, but I also through a caveat of "I'm not suggesting that a full dynamic range is to be ignored.....quite the opposite' in order to cover such a situation.

At at the end of the day, if the music sounds great and everyone's happy then I guess who cares how you got there...

But I don't think of multi-rods as a replacement for sticks - they're not quiet sticks, they're quiet multi-rods. They're more of an effect and can sound great, but I used to use them years ago because the band I was in wanted the same intensity we had on big stages, when we were in small bars. I listened back to recordings of the gigs and didn't like how it sounded- at all... It was definitely better than being too loud for everyone in the audience and overpowering the band - but it was a short term, quick fix...

Right before my gig last night I found a pair an old pair of Maple 5B's , they were a little easier to control than hickory, so that worked...

Back