Daily Drumset Workout by Claus Hessler

Thanks, I appreciate it! It will take a while to make it past the first few pages. As written, it looks like you only document/evaluate after completing each two-page module?

You are right. It says so in the introduction. (Had to re-read it to make sure; I'd forgotten.)

Since Claus "suggests" to stick with the same set of exercises for at least one week, it makes senses to evaluate at the end of the week. Personally, I like to keep a *daily* record of my metronome's BPM setting, as well as a short note re how I did (with each exercise).

At the end of the week, you then decide whether you want to keep working on the same set of exercises, or whether you move on to new/different ones.

I used to have a ridiculously long list of "exercises I'm currently working on". Narrowing it down to somewhere between five and ten exercises, and really putting time into them, has definitely been one of the best adjustments in my practice routine ever. Claus sent me a couple of Moeller exercises over a year ago, that I've been doing every day since.

Hope this helps.

Patrice

P.S.: Playing the first couple of exercises correctly, applying the Moeller whip, isn't exactly easy. Took me a while to get them kind of right.

Being new to the forum it is always great to read positive reviews before I purchase. But, this time I placed the order after hearing an older podcast on Drummers Resources, which I listened to early this week, when Nick had Claus on.

On the podcast it was clear to me, Claus is a good teacher, so I figured it would be a smart purchase to improve my practice time. Look forward to receiving it next week.

Also purchased the Open Handed Playing Vol. 1. Which I always wanted to learn how to do the proper way.

Last edited:
Being new to the forum it is always great to read positive reviews before I purchase. But, this time I placed the order after hearing an older podcast on Drummers Resources, which I listened to early this week, when Nick had Claus on.

On the podcast it was clear to me, Claus is a good teacher, so I figured it would be a smart purchase to improve my practice time. Look forward to received it next week.

Also purchased the Open Handed Playing Vol. 1. Which I always wanted to learn how to do the proper way.

I just picked up Claus's latest book, Camp Duty Update (which just came out in an English language version). Highly recommended to anyone with an interest in the roots of rudimental drumming. It comes with a CD which has Claus playing a bunch of Camp Duty and other related pieces (Three Camps, Downfall of Paris, etc.) along with fife accompaniment. The CD also has play along tracks for all the tunes with just the fife part. For each piece, Claus has included the traditional drum part, as well as a new drum arrangement that he wrote (hence the "update" in the book's title). A lot of the new arrangements include quintuplet phrases, and Claus argues in the book that some of the traditional drum phrases in the old pieces (especially those incorporating drags) actually utilized quintuplet phrasing (or something close to it) in performance practice, even if it wasn't notated that way.

Also very much digging his (and Dom Famularo's) "Open-Handed Playing Vol. 1". Even if one does not play open-handed, there's tons of great stuff in there.

Patrice

I want to second this. I purchased Claus's two open handed books a while back (because I'm a drum book junkie, and because I love Claus's and Famularo's materials in general), but because I wasn't really into delving into open-handed playing, I haven't really worked out of them. But I was perusing them the other day, and there is a ton of really good exercises in both books that would be helpful for any drummer, open-handed or not. It almost makes me wonder if the titles of both books has been a detriment to getting this kind of material into the hands of people who might dig it, even if they are not big on the idea of open-handed playing.

Waking up the old thread. But this book is really good. Just received it. But little confused about practice tips. So if I understand this correctly it kind of takes 1 month just to get throught first 2 pages? This book has like 200 pages. How many years it would take to get through the whole book?

Well, according to my calculations it's 200 pages divided by 2 pages/month which is is 100 months, or 8 years and 4 months. Better get to work!:ROFLMAO:

It is a complete concept in a way, so it is essentially never ending. You can use it as a foundation for everything.

Well, according to my calculations it's 200 pages divided by 2 pages/month which is is 100 months, or 8 years and 4 months. Better get to work!:ROFLMAO:
There's a story that comes to mind...I don't know where or when I came across it. "A young kid decides upon the birth of a calf to pick it up every day as he and the calf mature through the years...when the kid and the calf reached adult age, the kid became the strongest mf-er for miles around"

Back